Highs and lows

Blissfool

Hi - we are now into week 3 of learning how to live with the new guest in our house - diabetes t1. Our son was recently diagnosed (2 1/2). He went straight onto the Medtronic paradigm pump. His levels are really erratic, with numbers in the 14-18 range in the middle of the night, but waking with levels between 2-3, and dipping down there again mid morning and mid afternoon, and bedtime, which means we are having to feed the hypo then treat the highs in the night, but if we do even the smallest manual bolus at night, he shoots down low! Any tips on what might be happening? We have trod reducing basal and reducing Wizard suggested bolus, but he is still either way high or way low most the time.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
How long diagnosed?

You have obviously seen a pattern to low's and high's:-
the highs's so what time are you raising the basals, is it 3-5 hours prior to the high's?
The low's-are you lowering the basal's 3-5 hours before they occur?

With a baby, I don't know whether you can do fasting..I guess this would be difficult...what support are you getting from hospital DSN / Consultant?

Are you changing the basals?

How are you feeding, are you accurately checking the grams of carbs for every meal? I been diabetic 25 years,-just gone on to pump, and I have found weighing every single gram (even lettuce and a clove of garlic has helped me enormously).

I really hope that you can get the help you need off this forum soon. I hate to hear how such young children are being diagnosed....but there is a lot of help and support from this forum, I'm sure you'll get the help you are searching for....best wishes..

ruralweb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Our daughter is T1 and was put on the medtronic pump in Jan this year. We had the same problems as you and I ended up staying awake every night for 3 months trying to get her levels stable but I failed and we asked to go back onto injections as we understood them better. After a few weeks we were given the chance to try another pump (Accu Check Combo) and the difference is fantastic her levels are now very stable and the pump is much easier to use. The way it calculates a blous is different to the medtronic and I think that is what makes the difference - together with the remote control IMO its about as good as you can get at the moment.

If your not getting the hang of it it may be worth asking if you can try a different pump. With kids you need to get something that is very easy to use