Can't sleep !

D

Deleted member 371547

Thank you for the replies on this.

I have tried dropping caffeine out and I do find it a struggle as I love my coffee, when I wake I have a coffee getting ready and then one to take to work. Then at work probably two teas. Try not to drink caffeine after 3pm.

Will maybe give it another go on the caffeine free side. Will also try the getting up and doing something if I cant sleep.

frankbegbie

Recently diagnosed type II and have been strictly controlling my carbs - weight dropping off and eventually BS numbers coming down (took almost a month for anything to really happen) Anyway... I have sooooo much energy, which is great during the day, literally getting so much done, but the problem is I can't sleep at night as I'm just not tired ! Any ideas ? have tried soothing music and camomile tea, so far nothing. Just keep finding myself giving up at about 3 am and and getting up for an hour or so. Would really like to be able to get to sleep at a decent time.
Without reading the rest of the thread; you may be suffering from anxiety.
I used to be exactly the same as you until I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety.
Used to lie there for hours sometimes with stupid things on my mind driving myself crackers.
Since being on Citalopram I drop off to sleep with no problems.

Last edited:

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Hi all,

I am having the same problem, when I get into bed my mind starts to race and I cant switch off. I end up working out how much sleep I can get and then count down the hours im awake and get more stressed. Have tried Kalms, sominex and Nitol, nothing seems to work as mu mind is too active.

Starting to really get me down. Just started a relationship too and we are six months in, she does snore occasionally and mves about a bit. It does add to the stress of it all and the times I am dropping off I get disturbed.

I tend to sleep better when the pressure is off me to get up the next day, so weekends without work.

Any advice would be great

Learning relaxation techniques is essential.. ie no phone or computer or tv in hour before bed.

If cant sleep get up and read for 20 mins.

Sleep with a window open.

Get a plant for the bedroom.

Try turning off everything with light from elctrics in bedrom.

Try listening to music... relaxing music more than heavy metal!!

Learning to breathe and relax is essential for those that cannot sleep. It is putting hands on tummy, deep breathe in for a count of 2 and hold it for a count of two, then breathe out for a count of 4. It is not natural to do this... you need to learn and persevere with it. Its a good technique when sitting in a straight back chair during the day. Just to help you relax.

There are loads of relaxation techniques, but you do have to persevere with them not just say after 1st night "that didnt work". We do relaxation in chairs at our cancer therapy group, guarantee at least one person in that 5 person group will fall asleep.

I use the talking relaxation to hubby when he is wound up and thinking about work before bed. It does work..

There are quite a lot of relaxation groups, etc around the country. We have a buddha group that teaches mindfulness and relaxation near us. You do have to actively look for them though.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have my OH tell me about his day at work. Just kidding!!
Deep breathing helps a lot. Especially if you concentrate on the inhale and exhale and the stomach expansion. Takes your mind off other things.

I too need to get up and look at my iPad if I'm not falling asleep within 30 min.

Lastly and not alwasy a great idea but when it's really tough I have a chilled shot of vodka or a small glass of wine. This almost alwasy works when other things haven't.