Question about treating hypos

D

Diabeticliberty

With the greatest of respect to any and all of you 15 -20g of anything simply would not drag me out of a hypo. If it works for you then of course you must do what works best. With that little however I would not risk it even for one second. I have had some really stubborn hypo's that no amount of fixing seems to fix. Taking 20g and then counting at such times would be quite literally suicide.

Reactions: Mark14400

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Yeah....my BG is off the chart now.....Stupid thing to do...
I can relate to that - the over-compensation is as bad as the hypo usually. Now I test a whole bunch of times after going in to hypo as I find the brain is telling me my BGs are still low but all too often my Glucometer tells me it's not. I manage to control my spikes after a hypo to usually 10 - 12 which is an improvement from the old days where I would spike in the 20s. The trick is to just wait it out - let the brain catch up once you do the initial sugar intake to offset the lows. I've had a lot of experience over time and it can be very difficult.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
With the greatest of respect to any and all of you 15 -20g of anything simply would not drag me out of a hypo. If it works for you then of course you must do what works best. With that little however I would not risk it even for one second. I have had some really stubborn hypo's that no amount of fixing seems to fix. Taking 20g and then counting at such times would be quite literally suicide.

The 15g is only a guide @Diabeticliberty , if it's a postprandial hypo with a lot of active insulin on board I can use more than 15g.

Reactions: donnellysdogs

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
A quarter of a small bottle of lucozade or 4 lucozade or dextrose tablets usually works for me if I go hypo

I'm sure we can all agree hypos are nasty and need to be fixed fast

D

Diabeticliberty

Uncanny.....Nothing comes close to the taste of jelly beans at 2.9mmol/l.....Nothing !

If you are going to confess your own dirty little hypo remedy secret then don't stand alone. Mine is semi skimmed milk and angel cake. The Lord Of Hypoglycemia please forgive me

tom58

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
:)Mini Coca-Cola 65kcal and mini Mars bar 80kcal will quickly bring me round from a low of 30 (or just under 2 in the U.K.).
Absolutely hate becoming unconscious because professionals will always stuff you full of glucose to stop you being a pest.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
3 sugar cubes.. guaranteed you dont want to eat more!!

Nothing else in home besides a starbar, which if I know I have IOB then I can have 1/2 of one of them as well.
Pretty boring really!!
Confess though, 30 years ago my favourite hypo stopper was a creme egg.. think they changed recipe now and are way too much for me now..