Times like now

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When your mum's sitting stuffing her face with a bag of crisps and a 4 finger kit Kat or tomorrow when her and my OH stuff their faces with Chinese takeaway when I don't get to eat till the next day is so depressing

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Eldra

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yep. Sucks right.
Ultimately, things like crisps are super unhealthy, and not just for diabetic. Our diet is virtually the one all should have. Less carbs and more vegetables. You have to watch it out because you have no margin on the short term, but they don't have a lot more on the long run than you do. So stick to your diet, and you'll outlive many non-diabetic. ;)

Mark14400

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Samosas are a regular thing at work (for one reason or another). I hate it when everyone stands up to get one or more and I stay seated. Only then I realise "I'm different". It's harder to deal with than I let on..

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yep. Sucks right.
Ultimately, things like crisps are super unhealthy, and not just for diabetic. Our diet is virtually the one all should have. Less carbs and more vegetables. You have to watch it out because you have no margin on the short term, but they don't have a lot more on the long run than you do. So stick to your diet, and you'll outlive many non-diabetic. ;)
I have to try and eat more though as I'm underweight but I can't x

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I have to try and eat more though as I'm underweight but I can't x

I think (hope) that once you receive the support and advice from your HCP's (in reference to your thread back in August @kaylz91 ) you'll find you'll be able to enjoy the occasional Chinese Takeaway & packet of crisps.

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think (hope) that once you receive the support and advice from your HCP's (in reference to your thread back in August @kaylz91 ) you'll find you'll be able to enjoy the occasional Chinese Takeaway & packet of crisps.
I don't miss the crisps to be honest but man I could go a kit kat, its more the simple things I miss like a bowl of porridge on a cold morning or baked beans the stuff other people wouldn't bother about ya know lol x

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I don't miss the crisps to be honest but man I could go a kit kat, its more the simple things I miss like a bowl of porridge on a cold morning or baked beans the stuff other people wouldn't bother about ya know lol x
Very soon only few people will be able to tolerate these carbs. However your type1 so everything in moderation should be manageable. Keep getting support for your type1as many on here manage those foods. So you will be able too.
Type2s can too but in very low portions due to high carb content. Just a choice of whether those or other carbs in their diet which may be needed more for nutrients in restricted diets.

Reactions: donnellysdogs

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

I understand @kaylz91

A bowl of porridge........ whether its a cold morning or not is a healthy start to the day provided you use traditional style oats (not the instant type) and bolus accordingly to keep your bg levels in range, we even have a Dr on the forum who recommends oats to his type 2 patients when advising them to follow a lower carb diet so don't give-up on never eating porridge again.

Baked beans, again you can eat them provided you bolus accordingly, if you do maybe look for the brands that have a lower sugar content in the sauce.

Reactions: azure

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I understand @kaylz91

A bowl of porridge........ whether its a cold morning or not is a healthy start to the day provided you use traditional style oats (not the instant type) and bolus accordingly to keep your bg levels in range, we even have a Dr on the forum who recommends oats to his type 2 patients when advising them to follow a lower carb diet so don't give-up on never eating porridge again.

Baked beans, again you can eat them provided you bolus accordingly, if you do maybe look for the brands that have a lower sugar content in the sauce.
May I PM you? x

Eldra

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I used to love kinder buenos... when my sugars have been great for like a week or so I have one instead of my occasional portion of bread for instance :)
I agree with the others, everything in moderation is fine.
The thing I miss for now is chinese and japanese food as I used to love those. But I think you're fine with those foods if you don't eat too much rice (60-100g for instance). I still have to figure it out and do some trial and error, but ultimately you can add most things in your diet, it's just about quantities tbh.

Samosas are a regular thing at work (for one reason or another). I hate it when everyone stands up to get one or more and I stay seated. Only then I realise "I'm different". It's harder to deal with than I let on..

Waaa I can relate so much. When people show up at work and are like "It's super hot, I bought some ice cream for everyone". Thanks, I'll pass....! :')

PS: @kaylz91 I'm thinking just now, a great trick to me was to discover new other cravings. For instance I LOVE tomatoes and feta with a good olive oil (yumyumyuuuum) or eggplant fried in olive oil as well, and onions (basically I love olive oil... hahaha). Also I'm a big fan of teas of all kinds now. Bottom line, if you substitute your old cravings for new ones, you'll be stunned to find you forget them very quickly! I don't think about my kinder buenos as much as I used to :p

Reactions: donnellysdogs