We may be the lucky ones

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know it might not feel like it, and I know that a lot of us a dealing with myriad health problems as well as diabetes, T1 and T2 but if you stop and think about it a little - we really MAY BE the lucky ones.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15367171

take a look at this paper, and look at the chart . Listen to the news around you - every day more and more evidence comes out that practically everything is linked to insulin and glucose issues - not just obesity and diabetes and its related issues, but heart disease, liver and kidney diseases cancers , alzheimers, brittle bones, allergies- practically everything. There are hardly any issues anywhere that are not in some way linked to the same problem. That problem is the ingestion of too many carbohydrates and by corollary not enough healthy fats for our systems to be able to cope with it.

When we get diagnosed our thoughts turn to why me ? - compared to many many others. But here is the thing - all over the world people are being diagnosed with these other illnesses, all the time. Most of them have no idea that it is linked to the problems they have in ingesting carbohydrates and the resulting disfunction is already causing havoc in their systems because they don't KNOW they have a problem - so they sit back and do nothing.

We know , and when we get to this site, we understand how critical it is to get control of our blood glucose - we may not actually know that what is even more critical is to get control of our underlying insulin responses - no one told us that bit but that happens anyway when we deal with our blood sugars.

In terms of finding out what we know most of us only ever get to see an Hba1C. We do finger pricks because we know how to check what we are eating in order to stop blood glucose rise. If we did OGTT tests we would see that we are all within Krafts patterns and at risk, If we did fasting insulin tests we would know how deranged our insulin responses were .

Because we have seen the Hba1C we start to do something - because we found diabetes.co.uk and diet doctor.com - that something is generally restricting our carbohydrate intake - either as a proportion of our diet through LCHF, or as a number of grams through VLC or fasting - the result less carbs in - less insulin is the same either way.

Probably another 50% of the population should also be doing something - but they don't even know they should be looking because no-one is telling them that what applies to us is what applies to them.

Fasting insulin should be in the range 2-6 - that is where the healthy Kraft statistics sit . The "Normal range used as a global reference point is 2-25 . THAT is because such a large proportion of the population is already OUTSIDE the normal range they just don't know it. As such they are as prone to all the other ills in life as we are - but they are not doing anything about it.

As a result of the Noakes study I was involved in- its clear to me that an LCHF diet will bring fasting insulin down in the majority of people with T2 and when you stick to it - it will come down to well under the mid point of the Normal range for fasting insulin. As such we are moving ourselves into the lower risk range not just for the prognosis of our diabetes diagnosis, but also for our risk of both contracting and dealing with all the other diseases our society is pray to.

So every -time you feel a sense of victory because today you managed to keep that glucose level a bit lower, congratulate yourself that no matter what your state of health, you are doing more to deal with it, than all those other people diabetic or not, with whatever illness ,potential or actual they have who just don't know , so thank god that you are one of the lucky ones that found out first.

Goodnight all !

Attachments

• DFXmlS9WsAEzqeK.jpg large.jpg
    DFXmlS9WsAEzqeK.jpg large.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 345
  • Fasting Insulin.png
    Fasting Insulin.png
    264.6 KB · Views: 388

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@CherryAA - I'm not sure that, overall, LCHF is the answer to everything. I think it's more likely to be the answer to fixing a lot of the issues that people have with T2D, but for most of the world, cutting back on the processed foods and simply eating whole, self prepared and fresh foods would make the difference, as per the mediterranean diet.

Reactions: Marling

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In my view , it is rather a pity that Lchf got to be called Lchf . If you put the ingredients of the mediterranean diet into cronometer then you will find that it takes on remarkable similarities to LCHF. .

In the end these are pretty much the same diet REAL FOODS . REAL FOOD diets have a lot more fats than processed junk.

My personal take is that it gets called the Mediterranean diet because that is a way for people to reconcile their personal fear of saturated fats and red meats through the demonisation of saturated fats for 30 years . The French paradox reconciles the two - a mediterranean diet plus red meats aka LCHF .

People can choose for themselves where they sit on the saturated fat versus poly unsaturated fat spectrum . I chose to veer towards saturated because its got more natural foods in that camp . I also chose to try to get my omega 3 up - fatty fish and omega 6 down - seed oils - again because that is more REAL FOODS .

when you boil all of these things from fasting through vlc, lchf, med diet they all have the sane things in common - more real foods , less carbs in grams more fats as a proportion than the standard western diet and NO SUGAR

Robkww

Reducing carb intake to the good ones has significantly improved many health markers for myself and I feel much better. I've passed my approach to lifestyle, diet and exercise on to many non diabetics who, on take up in part or whole, are similarly seeing improved health, weight and fitness - taken years off them. For sure my view is firmly that there is something in this that government, science and healthcare should be doing more about and the general population should be more aware of.

Reactions: Glenmac

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I dont think this actually addresses that there are few people that really do lchf in society or in diabetes.

To me as well I am concerned that actually taking insulin increases cancer likelihood to double the risk of non diabetics and I know at least one lady on a pump as I was for 5 years and both of us got breast cancer.

I dont actually feel happy that diabetics are labelled as vulnerable to flu and being advised to have flu jabs.

There isnt anything lchf surely that lowers flu jab or cancer etc...us T1's have to have the insulin...

Reactions: annscullamus

Tannith

BANNED
I do find that what I am regretting most apart from finding out I was diabetic/prediabetic is that I think I have had it since about Dec 2013 when I first remember that awful tiredness and the getting up in the night for the bathroom. I wish I had known sooner. I could have taken action sooner, but as far as I know, apart from blurred vision, I have no complications.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Something we must be aware of is that we do not know the effects of medicines... not on a long term basis. Anybody doing lchf whether diabetic or not may be on other meds.

We are the guinea pigs -first generations really to have nhs and medications on a long term basis.
Also the first generation to have clean water with additives in it.

We cannot assume that certain things are causes or cures..

Also, data isnt collected on people that may get an illness and what other illnesses follow and whether they eat lchf or obese or thin etc when they die etc...

We are the guinea pigs but data is not being collected on diabetes or cancers, parkinsons etc and being fed back to either drug companies, governments etc. We only have to look at the amount of T1's that have never been asked on a form or data sheet on their lifestyles or foods etc...or how the good ones get good hba1c's.

I think it is too open to say that lchf is truly 100% beneficial. I done lchf for all my life, even as a child. Didnt stop me getting stomach probs, T1 or cancer or osteoarthritis...

Robkww

I agree low carb is not a miracle lifestyle which will stop all nasties but it has made a significant improvement for me in quality of life since diagnosis 12 months ago - sea change compared to the previous 10 years or so

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I feel I am a guinea pig with my diabetic meds and bipolar meds

Reactions: donnellysdogs

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I dont think this actually addresses that there are few people that really do lchf in society or in diabetes.

To me as well I am concerned that actually taking insulin increases cancer likelihood to double the risk of non diabetics and I know at least one lady on a pump as I was for 5 years and both of us got breast cancer.

I dont actually feel happy that diabetics are labelled as vulnerable to flu and being advised to have flu jabs.

There isnt anything lchf surely that lowers flu jab or cancer etc...us T1's have to have the insulin...

In the end all of us including T1's appear to be able to reduce insulin needs in some form, through diet . There are lots of stories of T1 users needing less insulin if they adopt a lower carb approach. In the end we can all only do our best but at least we have the opportunity to try. :) hugs to all

Reactions: donnellysdogs

Glenmac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Reducing carb intake to the good ones has significantly improved many health markers for myself and I feel much better. I've passed my approach to lifestyle, diet and exercise on to many non diabetics who, on take up in part or whole, are similarly seeing improved health, weight and fitness - taken years off them. For sure my view is firmly that there is something in this that government, science and healthcare should be doing more about and the general population should be more aware of.
Yes,I have also had a great improvement in my general health since adopting a LCMF lifestyle.I have passed my approach on to family and friends.Surprisingly,my children now in their middle years,(40-50) have all adopted a better more healthy lifestyle,much to my relief.The three have upped their activity levels in different ways,a gym a running club,daily dog walks etc ......They have fit bits and encourage each other although living many miles apart..and all three desk bound at work.......My grandchildren are also involved in this.Because of my own great improvement,their diet has changed.I agree with CherryAA that a different name would be better than LCHF.My daughter in France as you would expect calls hers the Mediterranean Diet!

Last edited:

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes,I have also had a great improvement in my general health since adopting a LCMF lifestyle.I have passed my approach on to family and friends.Surprisingly,my children now in their middle years,(40-50) have all adopted a better more healthy lifestyle,much to my relief.The three have upped their activity levels in different ways,a gymn a running club,daily dog walks etc ......They have fit bits and encourage each other although living many miles apart..and all three desk bound at work.......My grandchildren are also involved in this.Because of my own great improvement,their diet has changed.I agree with CherryAA that a different name would be better than LCHF.My daughter in France as you would expect calls hers the Mediterranean Diet!

I have long thought the Mediterranean diet is fundamentally no different from LCHF - basically REAL FOODS to personal taste - some with a greater emphasis on meat, others on vegetables - but either way both removing processed foods and usually removing factory processed seed oils from the diet.