B12

Bigglesworth

"Vitamin B12 is needed by all cells of the body in order to allow them to multiply. A shortage of vitamin B12 mainly affects red blood cells, because millions need be made every minute. A lack of red blood cells can lead to anaemia. The common symptoms of anaemia are tiredness, shortness of breath and palpitations.

There is also a type of B12 deficiency anaemia caused by lack of intrinsic factor. This is called pernicious anaemia. A shortage of intrinsic factor means that B12 cannot be absorbed properly. Pernicious anaemia has the same symptoms as anaemia, including tiredness, shortness of breath and fatigue. Other symptoms of anaemia can include:

* soreness of the tongue,
* loss of weight,
* pale skin, often with a lemon tint,
* intermittent diarrhoea,
* menstrual problems, and
* poor resistance to infections.

If the deficiency goes on too long, the nervous system is liable to be affected, causing:

* tingling of the fingers and toes,
* muscle weakness,
* staggering,
* tenderness in the calves, and
* confusion."

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There is a good explanation of Vitamin B12 deficiency on Net Doctor http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/diseases/fac ... miab12.htm

It can cause peripheral neuropathy which can be confused with peripheral neuropathy caused by diabetes.

You have to be quite deficient before you can get treated in the UK, much lower than if you lived in Holand or Japan.

Hope this helps

lanzlady

Bigglesworth said:
"Vitamin B12 is needed by all cells of the body in order to allow them to multiply. A shortage of vitamin B12 mainly affects red blood cells, because millions need be made every minute. A lack of red blood cells can lead to anaemia. The common symptoms of anaemia are tiredness, shortness of breath and palpitations.

There is also a type of B12 deficiency anaemia caused by lack of intrinsic factor. This is called pernicious anaemia. A shortage of intrinsic factor means that B12 cannot be absorbed properly. Pernicious anaemia has the same symptoms as anaemia, including tiredness, shortness of breath and fatigue. Other symptoms of anaemia can include:

* soreness of the tongue,
* loss of weight,
* pale skin, often with a lemon tint,
* intermittent diarrhoea,
* menstrual problems, and
* poor resistance to infections.

If the deficiency goes on too long, the nervous system is liable to be affected, causing:

* tingling of the fingers and toes,
* muscle weakness,
* staggering,
* tenderness in the calves, and
* confusion."
Thankyou I seem to have the tingle of fingers and toes tenderness in the calves
but aslo like my muscles jerking on their own (all over my body) Im not on medication and it only started after I cut out
foods which I used to have strange!!!!!!!!!

DazG

Do you take any other medication?

I have been using Nexium for 8 years and I had a B12 deficiency, it was pretty bad, I had the pins and needles in hands and feet, pain in my calfs, sore tongue, palpitations, numbness, my head was a mess and I had no idea what I was doing most of the time, I also stumbled a lot.

Maybe ask your doctor for a blood test.

lanzlady

DazG said:
Do you take any other medication?

I have been using Nexium for 8 years and I had a B12 deficiency, it was pretty bad, I had the pins and needles in hands and feet, pain in my calfs, sore tongue, palpitations, numbness, my head was a mess and I had no idea what I was doing most of the time, I also stumbled a lot.

Maybe ask your doctor for a blood test.

Hi DazG,

I take Lostartan (100mg ) & 2.5mg bendroflumethiazide for BP lostartan was increased by 50mg 8 months ago that is when I felt calf pain not sure if connected going for flu jab tomorrow so maybe ask the Doc I really don't want to incase it is more bad news.

Regards,
Lanzlady

DazG

With the tingling in fingers and toes you would usually get pain with it, I also had a pain in my left shoulder that felt like it was broken, id say it doesnt sound a lot like a b12 problem, but if you have cut stuff out of your diet it could be another type of vit deficiency possibly. Always ask your doctor, most things can be sorted easily once you know what they are so have a chat whilst you are there and try not to worry, you wont be able to sort it out unless you know what it is :wink:

lanzlady

DazG said:
With the tingling in fingers and toes you would usually get pain with it, I also had a pain in my left shoulder that felt like it was broken, id say it doesnt sound a lot like a b12 problem, but if you have cut stuff out of your diet it could be another type of vit deficiency possibly. Always ask your doctor, most things can be sorted easily once you know what they are so have a chat whilst you are there and try not to worry, you wont be able to sort it out unless you know what it is :wink:

Thanks DazG I will do :)