Can GP deal with my pump query ?

amylh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My clinic have cancelled my second appointment in a row & I haven't been since February this year as they cancelled my June app and made me see the nurse who was, let's just say no help, I want to get the pump but now they've cancelled my October appointment (I got a letter Friday morning tried calling them twice to discuss but no answer) just wondered if my GP could deal with it as I'm not sure how or who I'm referred to for a pump?? would like to know how the whole thing will go
Ps I was told I could get the pump a few months ago but wasn't sure... so I am eligible, I think lol

amylh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My clinic have cancelled my second appointment in a row & I haven't been since February this year as they cancelled my June app and made me see the nurse who was, let's just say no help, I want to get the pump but now they've cancelled my October appointment (I got a letter Friday morning tried calling them twice to discuss but no answer) just wondered if my GP could deal with it as I'm not sure how or who I'm referred to for a pump?? would like to know how the whole thing will go
Ps I was told I could get the pump a few months ago but wasn't sure... so I am eligible, I think lol
P.ps.. my next app is scheduled January 28th!!

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
A pump request will have to go through your hospital clinic.

katmcd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you are unhappy with the continued cancelled appointments, contact the hospital PALS team. They can be really useful getting new appointments made if you explain what's happened with yours.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

D

Deleted Account

It is not clear how often you typically visit your diabetes clinic. However, if your February appointment was cancelled and your next one is in January, it looks as if it will be more than 12 months between appointments.
My appointments are usually about 12 months apart. For a while, this increased to 14 or 15 months apart. At the time, I was managing my diabetes ok and I was not expecting any changes to me treatment so didn't think this was a problem. However, it very nearly became one when my driving license was due for renewal and the DVLA was asking for the date of my last diabetes appointment and insisting it needed to be less than 12 months ago. I got the form sent off 11 months and 20 days after my last appointment and was glad they didn't ask when my next one was scheduled.
When I finally got around to seeing the consultant, I pointed this out. She told me if this happened again, I could insist upon an earlier appointment. We are entitled to 12 monthly appointments, at least.

Although my situation was not pump-related, it did teach me to kick up a fuss if they delay my appointments such that they are more than 12 months apart.

Reactions: Snapsy

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
you could always ask for a referral to another clinic from your GP.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It is not clear how often you typically visit your diabetes clinic. However, if your February appointment was cancelled and your next one is in January, it looks as if it will be more than 12 months between appointments.
My appointments are usually about 12 months apart. For a while, this increased to 14 or 15 months apart. At the time, I was managing my diabetes ok and I was not expecting any changes to me treatment so didn't think this was a problem. However, it very nearly became one when my driving license was due for renewal and the DVLA was asking for the date of my last diabetes appointment and insisting it needed to be less than 12 months ago. I got the form sent off 11 months and 20 days after my last appointment and was glad they didn't ask when my next one was scheduled.
When I finally got around to seeing the consultant, I pointed this out. She told me if this happened again, I could insist upon an earlier appointment. We are entitled to 12 monthly appointments, at least.

Although my situation was not pump-related, it did teach me to kick up a fuss if they delay my appointments such that they are more than 12 months apart.
On the strength of this I have contacted my diabetes centre to enquire when my next review appointment will be (I've not been since last July, and was told then that my next appt would be at the pump review clinic rather than the all-round diabetes clinic, and that they would write to me. They didn't. And it hadn't occurred to me until today to chase it!

I've now got an appt in the diary for January.

Thanks, @helensaramay !

:)

Reactions: Kim Possible