Type 1 Diabetic Retinopathy

MMcKirdy97

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hey guys,
I was diagnosed with early onset T1 five months ago and already (despite good BG control) following my eye screening I have been diagnosed with diabetic retinopathy in my left eye, is there any cure/prevention to stop it progressing?
Thanks in advance!

iHs

Background retinopathy can get better with bg levels a bit tighter and plenty of bg testing to determine safe bg targets

Reactions: himtoo

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hey guys,
I was diagnosed with early onset T1 five months ago and already (despite good BG control) following my eye screening I have been diagnosed with diabetic retinopathy in my left eye, is there any cure/prevention to stop it progressing?
Thanks in advance!

Try not to worry as they'll monitor your eyes closely from here-on and will inform you of any changes @MMcKirdy97

TBH it sounds like your doing everything right now if your bg is under control, background retinopathy can be reversed in some cases or can be slowed down to stop it progressing to the pre-proliferative/proliferative stages.

From the same website that @Dark Horse linked to earlier have a read of the following, it gives some excellent information and advice on Background Retinopathy and what you can do to prevent it from progressing (pay particular attention to what it says about keeping bg, bp and cholesterol levels under control and what it says about lifestyle changes):

http://www.diabeticretinopathy.org.uk/back_diabetic_retinopathy.html

Good luck.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hi there @MMcKirdy97

it is a bit scary getting that diagnosis , but you have got some good advice and links that should help allay your worries.

I was first diagnosed with retinopathy in 1990 and I am still driving and can see good !!

Reactions: azure

amylh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hiya I was diagnosed 6yr ago and my first eye test shown bg retinopathy also.! I have had really bad control for 4-5years and it's still coming up as 'background' and touch wood won't change any time soon.. trying to look after myself now tho as heard many horror stories! Just try ur best to keep on top of it unlike me, I went off the rails when I was about 17 and it's so hard to get back on! Good luck x