Metformin doseage

Lemonie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm newly diagnosed and started with a BG of 20. I was prescribed Metformin 500mg with 1/day in the morning for 2 weeks increasing to 2/day am and pm. I am testing before and 2 hours after a meal and have started a very low carb diet to get my BG down asap. My BG for the last 3 days has gone down 2 points each morning which is very encouraging.

I don't like taking tablets and wondered if my BG is coming down steadily should I continue on the 1 tablet of Metformin in the morning and not increase it as told .. can this do any harm?

My nurse has also stated that she would like to start me on a statin. I have a high risk of heart problems on both sides of my family and have an initial cholesterol of 5.8. I would prefer to try and lower my cholesterol by diet before starting tablets .. again am I being stupid by not taking the pills. :!:

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
My opinion would be to take the tablets for 3 months and get your blood sugar levels well under control. Metformin is not an addictive drug so coming off it is not a problem. If your GP is 'diabetic friendly' discuss it with him/her.

Given a family history of heart disease you may be better taking the statin but that is up to you. If, after 3 months low carbing your cholesterol levels have not come down as well then you should discuss the implications with your GP.

anniep

Lemonie, statins apparantly have a secondary effect of protecting against heart conditions, even when your cholesterol is fine. And as you are high risk on both sides of your family if it were me I would take the tablet, well actually I have taken my statins.

The safe cholesterol level for diabetics is lower than the general population and 5.8 is quite high. Having said that mine came down from 5.4 to 4.2 simply by reducing my carbs,even though my cheese and diary intake had rocketed. So lowering it is not impossible but I decided that even with the reduction. I wanted as much protection as possible for my heart.

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
To speak up on behalf of statins, my cardiologist assured me that the one I take (rosuvastatin) not only lowers the harmful blood fats but also aids the removal of existing plaque and I should keep on taking it even though my last three blood tests came in at less than 4.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I dont take statins so cant offer an opinion.

But I do take metformin, 4 a day and am quite happy to do so as they not only help reduce glucose levels but can also help to reduce weight as an appetite suppressant.

Other benefits for ladies include the restoration of a normal menstrual cycle, an increase in fertility and a reduction in the chance of miscarriage, not being a women I just read about them :D

In the scheme of things, meds wise, metformin is not a bad drug to live with day to day if you can tolerate it - IMHO :)

Lemonie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks All

Tablet it is then. I don't mind taking them if they are necessary but having already gone through the system with my arthritis I know how easily the doctors throw out pills to make you go away.

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Hi Lemonie :)

I would think that if you are able to tolerate the metformin and it is working for you then stick with it until your numbers are where you want them to be, you can then discuss it with your HCP to decide where you go from there.
The same goes for the statins although you should be aware that not everyone can tolerate them, yours truly suffered with dreadful leg pains so I had to come off them. Hope it works well for you.

The advice given to you by Ken in your other thread is A1 and will help you with your weight loss too.

Sue Morton

I agree keep taking the metformin and continue with your diet it will also help your cholestral to lower.

My own personal view with satins is that they do effect the muscles and your heart is a muscle. I personally wont take them as I don't think personnally that they are as good as they say they are but this is my own personal opinion.

When I took them I would get terrible muscle cramps in my legs and as I had to drive 108 miles every day I stopped taking them. I forgot to ask what my cholestral was when I saw the DN the other week but as she never brought it up it must have dropped.

Some people on this forum do control their diabetics via diet and I take my hat off to them but they really have to be very strict with themselves and I wonder how they keep it up but they do. It depends on how strict you can be with yourself and what works for your body. Plus how much insulin is still working in your body.

The week I was suppose to increase to 2 metformin am and then pm I was really scared and worried that it would make my BS drop too low and in the end had to go and see the doc to reassure me this would not happen.

If it wasn't for this forum I don't know where I would be now but it really helps to get things sorted so keep with it and hopefully all will work out my last Hbalc (whatever its called) test was 6.2 so although it takes time and I know your eager to get your BS down but don't not take your tablets see how it goes and as suggested then speak with your doc or DN.

Wish you luck
sue :)

Bigglesworth

I take 2 * 500 Metformin each day. No problems unless I eat soft fruit. Last HbA1c was 5.6. I also started taking Atorvastatin instead of Simvador just over one month ago and may latest bloods showed Hdl 1.5 and Ldl 1.49. with Total Choles 3.3. Statins have never caused a problem but there are alternatives if you ask your Doc nicely.