T1 New Diagnosis :O

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When the Glucotabs run low just purchase them again but buy the 50 tab container, it works out a lot cheaper than buying the 10 tabs individually and you can just refill your current 10 tab tube, that's what I do and it saves a pound or two :)

Definitely a good tip but the two times I've ordered I haven't been able to resist stocking up on the Lemon and Lime ones I wish they did them in the bigger tubs. :D

Reactions: noblehead

evj95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@noblehead Didn't see any bigger sizes than the 10 tabs containers when shopping where I coicenidently work, but will have a root around on the web to see what I can get. It wasn't that expensive to be honest, paid 70p for a tube of orange ones as they were on clearance and 90p for a tube of raspberry ones. And the best bit was I now know where they are located in case I stupidly forget and run low of them whilst at work.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Definitely a good tip but the two times I've ordered I haven't been able to resist stocking up on the Lemon and Lime ones I wish they did them in the bigger tubs. :D

I've not tried the Zesty lemon & Lime tabs @db89 , they sound nice :)

Boots stock them in tubs of 50:

http://www.boots.com/glucotabs-zesty-lemon-and-lime-200g-10211609

It wasn't that expensive to be honest, paid 70p for a tube of orange ones as they were on clearance and 90p for a tube of raspberry ones.

That's a good price @evj95 , Morrison's had them at a similar price a month or two back.

Reactions: db89

evj95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@noblehead Just to update you on the first two days at work, Yesterday I had a banana (Stupidly forgot to do some insulin doh! Half asleep brain doesn't remember to do it apperently) before heading off to work, also forgot to check my bg level so don't know what it was like, but checked at 7am, as I had a headache which doesn't normally happen and saw it was 13.2 so did a couple units of my rapid acting and an hour later it was down to 11.1 which I was happier about and did my insulin for some breakfast. And after work it dropped down to 4.2.

Today I remembered to check my bg level as I woke up and it was 7.8, decided not to have the banana, as I thought that may be the cause for the high levels yesterday. Then checked at my break and it was up to 12.1, Managed to get through the rest of my shift checked at lunch time and it was back down to 7.6!

Don't know why this is happening because when I walk around it normally drops my bg level not raise it. Seeing my DSN tomorrow, so will ask for her input on what may be going on, as it is fairly hard to work when your head is pounding and starting to feel sluggish.

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You might be getting a bit of liver dump, otherwise known as dawn phenomenon, from not eating after getting up. If I skip breakfast I usually have to take a small bolus to ward it off or I climb out of range within 1 hour~ of getting up.

You can have a further read here about it www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-glucose/dawn-phenomenon.html

evj95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@db89 If I have possibly this dawn phenomenon then how come I have only just noticed it is happening? Or is it because the past two mornings I have gotten up at 4am to go to work that I have noticed it happening?

To be honest, Who can be bothered to make something to eat at 4am when they are half asleep? because it is defiantly not me. I might decide to test out this idea in a few days when I'm not at work by delaying my breakfast by one or two hours and see what happens to my bg levels.

I admit the high levels on saturday could have possibly been my fault for having that banana without any insulin.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Today I remembered to check my bg level as I woke up and it was 7.8, decided not to have the banana, as I thought that may be the cause for the high levels yesterday. Then checked at my break and it was up to 12.1, Managed to get through the rest of my shift checked at lunch time and it was back down to 7.6!

Maybe just have something like an oat cracker with some cheese before setting off to work, many of us type 1's find that we experience a liver dump if we skip breakfast and hour by hour our bg levels will climb, the small snack may just be enough to stop this happening until you eat again later in the morning.

Hopefully the DSN has given you some good advice today :)

evj95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My DSN has said that saturday's high readings would've been down to the Banana without insulin that I had, and Sunday's high reading could possibly be down to being anxious/worrying about how my levels are going when at work and also getting stressed that everyone is treating me with kid gloves i.e. offering to pull cages for me when I am perfectly able to do so - My pancreas may be broken but I haven't lost an arm!

So at the moment, because they aren't going massively high compared to when I was diagnosed, I am just sticking to the same routine and seeing if they are going to calm down once my colleagues get over worrying about me and quiet frankly pissing me off.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I am just sticking to the same routine and seeing if they are going to calm down once my colleagues get over worrying about me and quiet frankly pissing me off.

I'm sure your colleagues mean well and are just looking out for you, keep the thread updated on your progress @evj95

evj95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@noblehead I know they mean well, but with my mother being constantly worrying as in I can't go a day without her ringing or making me talk to her about how I have been when I have been used to looking after and being alone a lot of the time I am started to feel suffocated a bit. Like I am being wrapped up in bubble wrap.

The reason why I returned to work so quickly was to get away from the suffocation but I feel just as suffocated there as well at the moment.

Sorry, this may sound a bit depressing in comparison to my earlier post, just had a big argument with the mother.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
There's no love like a mothers love @evj95 , one day you'll hopefully have children yourself and will know what it feels like to worry about them.

Try not to argue with her but just ask for a little space to deal with things yourself. Best wishes and have a good nights rest.

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Pleased you got some answers today. I'm sure as @noblehead says your colleagues mean well and feel they want to be helpful without knowing what to do. I quickly cottoned on that people won't get it (and I can't expect them to) and will say the wrong thing from time to time and it requires gritting teeth occasionally.

Same with your Mum - probably just trying to do what she can for you and feeling a little helpless. My parents were both similar for a little while after I was diagnosed. It kinda wound me up a bit as I've always been the independent, get on with it myself and ask for help if I need it sort. Eventually I tackled it by talking more and discussing with them so they could see I was getting on fine. Either that or they got bored of all the data I started sharing with them. :joyful:

lou258

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @evj95 I'm in very similar position - diagnosed t1 a month ago. I'm going back to work on Monday - am a bit scared but sure it will be fine (fingers crossed!). My mum has been the same - and I'm a 37 yr old mother of two - I know she means well but I've also felt the suffocation luckily she seems to be easing off a bit now ;)

Just to add I've had high BG reading when I've missed breakfast, I always used to not eat until I got to work but may have a small snack before I set off to try and avoid it now. If I can drag myself out of bed in time!

Good luck :)

mytype1.life

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @evj95 and @lou258,

Welcome to the forum.

I've had T1 since I was 5, so 23 years.

@evj95 you have the right plan, it's a case of trial and error until you find what works for you and everyone is different.

I used to work in a big supermarket retail with awkward shifts. Be sure to keep your tabs on you, it really is a necessity and don't be afraid to say if you aren't feeling well and need a break. I used to try and keep going and ignore my symptoms which is honestly the worst thing!

Do you have good hypo awareness?

Reactions: Ashley13 and lou258

evj95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@tiredoftrying2017 When I was first diagnosed I couldn't recognise the hypo's every well that were happening, as I had never been low before. But now, with thinking of how I feel when I do go low and remembering the feelings I managed to catch a low at 3.9 which was quick, as the first one I had it was 1.7 before I managed to treat it.

mytype1.life

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@tiredoftrying2017 When I was first diagnosed I couldn't recognise the hypo's every well that were happening, as I had never been low before. But now, with thinking of how I feel when I do go low and remembering the feelings I managed to catch a low at 3.9 which was quick, as the first one I had it was 1.7 before I managed to treat it.

That's good!
I'd encourage you to test as often as you can because being hypo aware is important, especially when at work. Sounds like you've got it sorted at the moment

evj95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Crystalwand No, I am not the first Diabetic in store, there is another type 1 and a type 2 in my store and as well as a few mothers of type 1's so have been getting some good advice from them that have been doing this for a lot longer than me.

At work it is actually a lot less stressful than what I thought it was going to be. Have got approval from various managers including the store manager to take extra breaks if I need to treat myself whilst on shift, also have been told that if anyone tries to stop me from doing this that I can essentially tell them to stuff themselves up the backside and walk off the shopfloor as well as directing a customer that I am dealing with to another GA. All this also applies to when I have to go onto the checkouts. So I had fears for pretty much nothing..

Although I'm just waiting on a new manager to come in eventually and get in my face at the amount of breaks I have to take. Because I will tell them very, very sternly the reason why and not in the backroom either, I'd do it on the shopfloor in front of customers to make them embarrassed.

@tiredoftrying2017 I feel in control overall, but at the moment I'm running higher than usual which I presume is down to a screw up at McDonalds of them giving me regular coke instead of diet and I didn't taste the difference and drank it all. Some people you just can't trust to do some stuff to requirements.

mytype1.life

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ooh yes the Coke/Diet Coke scenario is a tough one! Hope you feel better soon

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been caught out by nearly being served regular Coke also. If I haven't seen it come out of a bottle or can I test it with my meter now to be sure.