Breakfast Cereal

pixie

what breakfast cereal do you eat or try to eat every morning?

any advice on the best type or at least the best of the bad lots (i.e. bran flakes, weetoes, cheerios etc)

jaykay

Hey Pixie!
When I first was diagnosed, I lived on 2% greek yoghurt and blueberries and raspberries but found I was always hungry by mid morning. I went through the recipes here and found one for granola which looked yummy. Have been having this all this week (with the yoghurt and blueberries and raspberries) and my bg hasn't gone up and I've stopped snacking before lunch :).

Reactions: Jillytee

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I have half a grapefruit most mornings (dont eat grapefriuts if you are taking statins)

But can just about tolerate 20 grams of cornflakes with a little semi skimmed milk. You will need to test different cereals to see what they do to your bg levels. :D

Reactions: lorraine95

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
anniep said:
I don't eat breakfast cereal at all they are too carbiferous for me!

Too carbiferous......love it :lol:

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
I had a bowl of my husband's breakfast cereal with chocolate in - very generous portion of chocolate and looked like the picture on the packet for a change. It was absolutely delicious. Unfortunately it sent my levels up much too high so I'll have to go back to my breakfast joghurt :(

StevieBoy

Dislikes
Rocket, Early mornings, DIY
I sometimes eat Muesli (the no added sugar variety). The dorset cereals ones are very tasty although I cannot have a very big bowl as it raises my BG levels too high :cry: .

When I looked into breakfast cereals I was amazed to find how many have had extra sugar added - pretty much most except porridge, the no added sugar muesli and shredded wheat. Although how anyone can stand the taste of shredded wheat I will never know.....

pixie

its funny, but i was told bt my diabetic nurse that bran flakes were okay to eat in the mornings

but then i noticed that bran flakes had more carbs & sugar than weetos

confusing!

anniep

Sid Bonkers said:
anniep said:
I don't eat breakfast cereal at all they are too carbiferous for me!

Too carbiferous......love it :lol:

I hadn't realised it had slipped out - it is family shorthand for too high in Carbohydrate for us diabetics.

I come from a family of diabetics and we tend to drive all the inlaws mad when we get together, discussing our treament and diet.

sarnie100

Dislikes
Self centred people, bullies, two-faced people, spiders, mountain roads, flying, bad-mannered drivers.
Should BG be around 7 an hour after eating or is there a little leeway.... I read that it is when it goes above 7.7 it does the damage? :?:

Talos

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfriendly people, MP's,
Two Shredded Wheat :)
Bad for my BS :cry: Good for my heart :p

frankyloverubble

Dislikes
bigots,knowalls,
I have always had a cereal breakfast but when diagnosed found that milk and cereal put my BG up way too much so the best alternative I have found is unsweetened soya milk-it has very little carbo or sugar in it and is low in cholesterol. The taste of the cereal masks the slightly unpalatableness of the soya. Also,I recently tried six grapes with my cereal which also seems to reduce BG more so than without grapes (don't know why it seems to lower my BG as all fruit is full of fruit sugar but it works for me!) :) :)

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
~Did you read the thread yesterday which mentioned Soya Milk etc........apparently it can have a detrimental effect on both Male and Female fertility !! :(

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
frankyloverubble said:
I have always had a cereal breakfast but when diagnosed found that milk and cereal put my BG up way too much so the best alternative I have found is unsweetened soya milk-it has very little carbo or sugar in it and is low in cholesterol. The taste of the cereal masks the slightly unpalatableness of the soya. Also,I recently tried six grapes with my cereal which also seems to reduce BG more so than without grapes (don't know why it seems to lower my BG as all fruit is full of fruit sugar but it works for me!) :) :)

You're a brave man Frankyloverubble! :( Tried soya milk on my cereal a couple of years back and have to say it was the most awful thing I have ever tasted!

Love Branflakes and skimmed milk, diet change by diatician gave me problems, the change was to
additionak fiber, gave me a fiber shock, it was not nice, after much testing I found that if I mixed
Cornflakes with Branflakes on a ratio ogf 2 : 1 this along with the greens and Pulses I eat a good balance.

A slice of toast and extra low Flora at breakfast is sufficient with the corn flakes mix to keep me going till Lunch, then if peckish a small apple.

You have to experiment to see what suits you.

Charles :D

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I make my own muesli up by mixing equal amounts of Dorset farm original muesli (blue box with nuts) with jumbo oats and then add , pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, goji berries, cocoa nibs and a load of wheat germ. I mix this up in a large tin and use a handful in a bowl with natural yogurt, mix cinnamon into that and add natural soya milk (Holland and Barretts is just soya beans and water - nothing else) I reckon I have a good mix of fibre and protein there. This keeps me full for 3+ hours and my bg seems to cope with it.

visayas79

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
what breakfast cereal do you eat or try to eat every morning?

any advice on the best type or at least the best of the bad lots (i.e. bran flakes, weetoes, cheerios etc)
I have to admit I gave up cereals. I eat porridge oats or eggs on toast.

visayas79

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have half a grapefruit most mornings (dont eat grapefriuts if you are taking statins)

But can just about tolerate 20 grams of cornflakes with a little semi skimmed milk. You will need to test different cereals to see what they do to your bg levels. :D

C.l2992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have been type 1 diabetic for nearly 5 years and my downfull is breakfast. Because I work full time, I have early morning and I'm not a morning eater. I would rather eat around 10am which means my reads are always high before lunch. Of course though I have tried many breakfast types and none seem to help. I just can't get them right but In the last 5 months I have started to take insulin with Weetabix on the go which is more like a milkshake but because it's 27g of carbs I can carb count and it has really work. I have noticed this then affect my lunch as it helps me be in range at lunch. Its also shown on my hb1ac as it has gone from 10.4% to 8.2% so I feel I have finally found my perfect breakfast.