Apple cider vinegar. Yuk.

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello all. I would like to take apple cider vinegar. Igot a bottle of braggs with the mother. It is disgusting. No matter what I mix it with it is always foul. I have seen youtube vids of people clugging this stuff back as tho its wine. Believe me, its not wine!
I would like to know if anyone has managed to completely take the taste away???? . I do use it in dressings, but cant take that everyday.

Also, if I give up with the real stuff are the tablets any good?, I am guessing not because the whole point of the stuff is to have the vinegar with the mother in it, which I dont think you can get with tablets? But very happy to be wrong about that! Any advice please??

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello all. I would like to take apple cider vinegar. Igot a bottle of braggs with the mother. It is disgusting. No matter what I mix it with it is always foul. I have seen youtube vids of people clugging this stuff back as tho its wine. Believe me, its not wine!
I would like to know if anyone has managed to completely take the taste away???? . I do use it in dressings, but cant take that everyday.

Also, if I give up with the real stuff are the tablets any good?, I am guessing not because the whole point of the stuff is to have the vinegar with the mother in it, which I dont think you can get with tablets? But very happy to be wrong about that! Any advice please??
I just drown it with nice ice-cold water til there is not too much taste left. I did worry that this might take away my appetite, but no problem.

fallongerie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I usually down it and follow straight after with a cup of coffee to take the taste away

fallongerie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I asked someone who works in a health shop last week if it matters if the apple cider vinegar has the ' mother' in. As u can buy it without. And apparently there's not much difference nutritionally between the two. So it's worth trying the one without to see if it's more palatable for you

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for the attachment. Having read through it it does not seem to support that long term use of apple cider vinegar improves glycemic control, though the short term study did suggest benefits

Sent from my SM-G935F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

My understanding from what I have read is that spikes in bg are damaging. If just swallowing apple cider vinegar before meals can reduce my post prandial spikes, even if it can't affect my HbA1c tests, I'll take that.

Reactions: pavlosn

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I wonder if the alleged benefits would still hold if rather than drinking the vinegar (which to me sounds unpleasant) one turned it into a vinaigrette dressing for salads, vegetables etc?

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wonder if the alleged benefits would still hold if rather than drinking the vinegar (which to me sounds unpleasant) one turned it into a vinaigrette dressing for salads, vegetables etc?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app[/QUOTE

It would probably work fine - In general terms it seems that both vinegar and fermented foods are good for the digestive tract and both help you to deal with other foods especially carbs whilst improving gut diversity.

I've tried to add vinegar to lots of things, whilst upping suaerkraut - though not in the same dish = vinegar overload !

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

A few slight problems. One, if you are hoping to reduce the amount your blood glucose rises in reaction to your meal, you need to consume the vinegar first. I suppose you could do this by eating your salad as a starter. Two, you would have to prepare an individual salad/vegetable in order to be sure you were getting the desired quantity of vinegar. Three, in my experience of dressed salads a lot of the dressing gets left behind at the bottom of the bowl. Imo drinking up a mixture of oil and vinegar would be a lot more trying than just drinking a tablespoon of the vinegar in a glass of water in the first place. Cider vinegar is not like the stuff one used to put on fish and chips, much milder and really not unpleasant when well diluted

JayCee10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Interested in the threads about cider vinegar. Has anyone tried the tablets yet?

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My Hubby just read a recipe out where one puts the apple cider in the filling for butter tarts!!! OOOOH that would be a great disguise and the Hubby is known for his butter tarts:) Like other things, if you are going to do it, even though it may be unpleasant initially, just do it!! Cheers/L

Reactions: Sue192 and Freema

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How about putting some drops of peppermint oil into the glas of thinned apple cider vinegar ?

pete254

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been using apple cider vinegar (non mother) daily for about 2 years in a vinaigrette with extra virgin olive oil.
Not noticed any impact on my BG but I much prefer the taste to any other vinegar. Any other benefit would be a bonus!

Reactions: SueBlitz