Any experience with Glucoject pen needles?

1abRat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My GP's surgery has (without any consultation of course) put all their diabetics onto Glucomen Glucoject pen needles.

As they had literally just received a letter this month from my clinic reminding them that I should be using BD Microfine or Novofine needles (as they keep changing me onto awful GlucoRX and B. Braun) I was rather miffed to say the least.

I would have actually considered trialling the Glucoject needles alongside the BD Microfine's but as I'm down to my last 10 BD needles I don't want to chance them being awful like some others.

Why GP's can't try and get their patients on-board with things like this I don't know! A simple email and a sample box of the Glucojects and I might have a) been happy with the change and b) saved them some cash in the long-run

I've called them and politely requested that they change my prescription back and they have done this but I was wondering what the Glucoject needles are like as they are still on my repeat prescription alongside the now-returned BD Microfine's and I might give them a whirl.

Has anyone got any experience with them? Are they just a branded version of the generic MyLife or GlucoRX type needles?

bofhvp

I've had my BD Mirco-Fine Ultra Pen Needles changed to Glucoject Pen Needles, without being informed as to why. My advise on this, AVIOD !!!! Reasons are :-
1) The cap just keeps turning without stopping. Therefore, you will never know if you got a good seal. And yes if its not properly sealed you will get insulin leakage.
2) The needles WILL sometimes bend when pushed into your skin (sorry can't think of the correct word for push)
3) They also bend easily. You'll know when it's bent, when you have to apply a lot of force when pushing down on the plunger. Thats when you'll have to replace the pen needle for another and hope that does NOT bend !
4) You'll end up wasting several needles before you're able to inject correctly.

And yes ... the surgery had not even informed me of the change. I just thought that this was a subsistude and that I'll be back to my normal pen needles the following month. Only to get the substitute pen needles again for the next 4 months.

Onto the surgery now, but have to wait until 4pm tonite to see if they, GP, have change me back to my normal pen needles.

GP need to seriously get onboard, when they are making a change

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
Hi @1abRat

I had to change to Glucoject needles a few months ago: they're Ok, but not as good as BD ones. However, I don't have as serious problems as @bofhvp.

1. They're obviously a cheap copy of the BD needles and don't quite fit my Levemir/Novorapid pens' screw thread. Therefore, I have to take extra care when fitting the needle to ensure it aligns exactly, to ensure the screw doesn't "skip" the thread (same as fitting badly made nuts and bolts). I haven't noticed any insulin leakage and my BG hasn't suffered.

2. I've never managed to bend a needle.

3. The point on BD needles is shaped to pierce skin easily and painlessly. As far as I can tell, Glucoject haven't bothered (or aren't allowed to copy the patent) so I do notice my skin being pierced. This may be an issue if you're sensitive/needle-phobic.

My GP practice told me about the change and that it was to save money, but I wasn't given any choice. Given how much medication/treatment I receive (for non-diabetes conditions) I'm not complaining.