How do you sleep with a pump? Please help....

emmarochester

Hello everyone. I have a meeting with my DSN next week to discuss some options. I had a severe reaction to Levemir and had to revert back to Lantus. My DSN said that as I had been type 1 for 34 years (since aged 4) we could perhaps discuss my options and asked if I had ever thought about an insulin pump? Unti this conversation I had read about them but had never considered one for myself. As I understand it, they can be life changing for an individual and have been researching like a woman possessed ever since! I have one possible problem with the thought of an insulin pump; I can't figure out how I would sleep with it and the more I think about it the more of a problem is growing. I don't wear nightclothes and have never been able to tolerate even pyjamas because I move so frequently during the night. As I toss and turn all night, I wonder how I would cope with a pump that I would have to be hooked up to all night. Please can anyone let me know how they might have combatted this problem? I know that tossing up the pros and cons that the pros win but the one con is a real sticking point. Thanks in anticipation of your answers.

Dollyrocker

Hello Emma,

I don't have a pump (yet) but I believe they can be tucked under your pillow at night time or clipped to your PJs (if you wear them) I think the tubing is long enough to keep the pump oput of the way

sugar2

Well, I have a babysock sewn into my PJs, and just tuck my pump in there. I know other people just leave teh pump to roam free at night (so to speak!) with no problems at all. Please don't let this put you off..I have been diabetic since the age of 4, and have been diabetic for 34 years...so I knwo exactly what a change it can be, after a lifetime of injections...and teh many benefits far outweigh the negatives!

emmarochester

Thank you for your kind answers. I will sleep on it, so to speak and discuss with the DSN in more detail next week. I don't want to be put off by this one issue so will let you know how I get on, After 34 years also of type 1 diabetes, I think I have just about had enough of injecting myself and never quite getting the control that I want (dawn phenomenom and all that jazz!!).

iHs

Hi Emma

All I do of a nightime is tuck the pump in the top part of my knickers (lycra Sloggi type) and go to bed. If I get up in the night to use the loo, the pump is with me so to speak. It's been no problem at all. I just put the pump on top of my radiator or on top of my wash basket when on the loo.

jopar

My pump is allowed to roam over night... I find it in the morning when I wake up, it's never further than 60cm away form me :lol:

Even though it's ended up over the edge of the bed, or wrapped around my middle I've never had a infusion set pulled out... And on the occassion when hubby starts his sorning, I give the usual dig with the elbow, to get him to roll on his side, then stick the pump behind his back to stop him rolling back and sorning again, works a real treat...

emmarochester

Im am beginning to feel more confident about leaving it to "roam around" so to speak. I guess the only way im going to know if it is right for me is to discuss it and try it. I am already beginning to beleive that it will be a good step to take and really appreciate everyone's replies. Thanks again. :D

DavidR

Get yourself a yo-yo and tape the end of the string to your tummy for a night or two and try it out; it worked for me.

My wife will like the idea of using the pump to stop me snoring...

emmarochester

DavidR said:
Get yourself a yo-yo and tape the end of the string to your tummy for a night or two and try it out; it worked for me.

My wife will like the idea of using the pump to stop me snoring...

This sounds like a great idea and I have a yo yo at home somewhere so will give it a try over the weekend. Many thanks.

iHs

Hello Emma

Not sure what pump you will go for (if you get a choice) but Accu Chek include a white lycra pump case with stretchy elastic belt to around your tummy under clothing, together with a silicone skin for the pump, as part of their pump kit. These are foc so you don't have to buy unless you lose them.

Buying stuff for pumps can be pricey so wait until you get one, then decide what you need. Some stuff can be bought from bootsales (mobile phone stuff) although you can use Claires (the accessory shop for hairslides etc) that may be in the town close to where you live :)

jopar

It is important to remember when adapting cases that are not specifically designed for insulin pump use, that you insure any metal parts are not magnetic.. This could damage your pump!

IHs
How many case's did you get?

When I got my spirit pump, I had a clear plastic case, a leather clip cae, velcro belt thingy, for waist/thigh, then the neprone case, which you can loop and belt through or hang around your neck.. And a very nice leather case to carry your spares kit and meter in... Also we were sent a set of Rosemary connellys digital scales!!

iHs

jopar said:
It is important to remember when adapting cases that are not specifically designed for insulin pump use, that you insure any metal parts are not magnetic.. This could damage your pump!

IHs
How many case's did you get?

When I got my spirit pump, I had a clear plastic case, a leather clip cae, velcro belt thingy, for waist/thigh, then the neprone case, which you can loop and belt through or hang around your neck.. And a very nice leather case to carry your spares kit and meter in... Also we were sent a set of Rosemary connellys digital scales!!

I got the same as you Jopar but also a pink and black skin. As I'm able to put the pump in my bra cup, I haven't needed to use the cases etc. Like lots of women, the pump at the moment is inside a kid's (1yr old) sock in my bra. I can also put it inside a fabric mobile phone pouch with velcro flap (£1 at bootsale) and suspend it in the centre of my bra if I want.

I didn't like the case for the bg meter remote (too bulky) so looked around the house for an alternative case that was lighter and then got hold of a couple of cheap leather look mobile phone wallets with elastic sides and tops and cut a face the size of the bg meter in the wallet and was able to also put a Softclix pricker alongside it together with strips at the top. The meter is now inside that in a sleeve from a cut down CD cover to protect the buttons on the meter.

andybeet

i just have mine loose in bed with me. I seem to instinctively turn it over with me if i turn over in the night. I tend to sleep with no clothes but it never got tangled up. I just know where it is in bed and move it if i need to.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Hi

I was given a waist belt and holder for my pump, but as I toss and turn so much during the night I actually somehow ended up with the cartridge in the pump somehow working loose during the night and woke up to a shock....went to bed at 6ml and woke at 22ml and full blown panic, then discovered that the connector keeping cartridge in had actually worked loose......have now got an armband, one purchased and one that I made from the excess waist band of the original belt supplied.

Since having the arm bands, absolutely no problem -and I sleep with now't besides the duvet, sheets and hubby!! (and dog!!). Connector hasn't come loose again at any time, still a puzzle what actually happened that night, but can only put it down to me moving so much, as I definitely do the connector up well.

I was absolutely worried stiff about sleeping with pump, and this was the best solution for me, as I also kick my legs up and down all night, constantly moving and sleep talking and crying out in pain. So if I can manage it, honestly..nothing to worry about.

jaideeh

Dislikes
banana's, lots of coursework, mean people +storms
Hi, I have an insulin pump, I don't have a case or anything for mine i just clip it on to me through out the day and at night I unclip it and put it on the bed besides me
I do roll around a bit in my sleep but it hardly ever affects my pump, ocasionally I do get some knots in the wire but just undo them and its fine!
From reading other posts on this, I guess it just depends on what suits you best :)

emmarochester

jaideeh said:
Hi, I have an insulin pump, I don't have a case or anything for mine i just clip it on to me through out the day and at night I unclip it and put it on the bed besides me
I do roll around a bit in my sleep but it hardly ever affects my pump, ocasionally I do get some knots in the wire but just undo them and its fine!
From reading other posts on this, I guess it just depends on what suits you best :)

Thank you - I have my appointment today and thanks to the replies that I have had from this forum, I feel more confident that the sleeping thing will not be too much of a problem. Many thanks again.