Insulin pump help

Type of diabetes
Type 1
i have had type 1 diabetes since I was 8 years old, I'm now 24 and haven't let it stop me doing a thing! Love traveling, but I have been struggling recently trying to keep my readings under control and have asked to get the pump. I go live on the pump 6th of November! Very exciting for scared at same time. Am I doing the right thing? Has anyone out there got the pump and regret it? Or is it the best thing :)?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you very much!! Much appreciate it, is your control all good? And did you find it difficult at the start?

My control is good,,yes :) The best thing is being able to,tailor the basal to,exactly what I need, and reduce/increase it simply.

I found it strange wearing it for the first couple of days, but then I forget about it and didn't notice it. My basal rate was pretty much spot on to,start with so I only had to make tiny adjustments.

My advice is to get the book Pumping Insulin, be prepared for your basal rates to take a little while to,sort, and to not overcomplicate things by worrying about all the 'bells and whistles' on your pump. Get the basics up and running and look at the features later.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Am I doing the right thing? Has anyone out there got the pump and regret it? Or is it the best thing :)?

Don't get me wrong pumps are not for everyone and there's been a few members here who have gone back to MDI, but I'd stick my neck out and say that for the majority of people who move to a pump they won't regret it and will reap the benefits that a pump has to offer (multiple basal rates/the extended bolus features to name a few).

I've been pumping for two and a half years now and have no regrets whatsoever, a fantastic piece of kit as I'm sure you'll find out for yourself @kirstyconnelly :)

Reactions: Juicyj and himtoo

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi @kirstyconnelly
welcome to the forum !! :)
for many years I did not go for a pump because I thought I was doing just fine on multiple injections every day ( MDI ).
but about 3 years ago my consultant again mentioned a pump to me and as a result of reading a lot of good things from the people on this forum I decided to go for it.

I have been pumping now for 2 years and it has really helped my control to be even tighter with less hypos.
It was difficult at the very start -- partly learning to let a machine do the work -- if that makes sense.

I can recommend pumping for sure.

do keep posting on your progress !!

all the best !!

Reactions: Juicyj

Postleneo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there and welcome. I have been T1 since Sept '15 and have just been pumping since April this year and can honestly say its fantastic.. so much more freedom and the fact that ive been able to wake when i want is worth its weight in gold!! Prior to pumping was having very frequent overnight hypos followed by the DP which started about 4 am meaning that i never had a lie in always up in the night to deal with a hypo and then up at 5 am every morning to combat the DP!! since pumping can sleep and eat whenever i choose and feel much much better both physically and mentally after having good nights sleeps and nice lays in when i want to!!:).... for me (and am sure others will agree)its the best thing since sliced bread!! :)

Reactions: Juicyj and himtoo

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @kirstyconnelly I've had my pump around 18 months now and my biggest worry was carrying it around all the time and sleeping with it, but I can quite honestly say it's not been an issue at all as I wear it in a pump belt so can access easily and if I wear a dress it's tucked into my bra, I think the pump battery has woken me once during this time by beeping away in the night, but control is much tighter, hypos are mild and it's much easier to do exercise with it now, as I can adjust the basal to suit. It's definitely been a game changer for me :)

Reactions: himtoo