Blood Sugar Diet

Millie_Tant_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My doctor has recommended that I try the above diet to lose weight in preparation for knee surgery. I have been referred to the consultant once but my BMI is too high so I was sent away and told to lose weight, which I did but apparently it isn't enough. I wondered if anyone had tried the above with success? 8 weeks on 800 cals a day seems fairly drastic to me but I'm determined to give it a go. Any comments or advice welcome.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Michael Mosely's 'Blood Sugar Diet' was the first book I read after diagnosis. It is very good but I chose not to do the diet to lose weight only to lower my blood glucose. Along with the advice I received here on the forum, it worked.

Reactions: Millie_Tant_

FloraDora

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My husband and I both did the diet with very successful results. I managed to 'reverse my diabetes' (to quote the diabetic nurse). Further tests confirmed that I now have Impaired Glucose Tolerance. I lost 3 stone in all, my husband lost 4 stone. We did the 8 week diet, and then continued slowly adding a few more calories to our diets. This was a year ago now, and we have had very little weight gain since. Basically we low carb, but not as strictly and many here on the forum.

When we were following the diet people commented on it being extreme, but we never felt that. We always had plenty to eat, just had to train ourselves to stop snacking!

Millie_Tant_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the replies. I'm on day 3 using the menus from The 8 week Blood Sugar Diet recipe book by Bailey and Schenker but I also have Mosley's book. I'm finding the ingredients list in the Bailey and Schenker book are costly and some meals take a long time to prepare, but I'll stick with it for the time being until I can work it all out for myself. I haven't been hungry at all since I started, so hopefully I'll persevere. :)

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Many times there are was to improvise ingredients and simplify menus.
Like chicken rather than lamb or steak, different less expensive veg etc

I rarely FOLLOW a recipe. I just get the gist of it and do my own thing

FloraDora

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the replies. I'm on day 3 using the menus from The 8 week Blood Sugar Diet recipe book by Bailey and Schenker but I also have Mosley's book. I'm finding the ingredients list in the Bailey and Schenker book are costly and some meals take a long time to prepare, but I'll stick with it for the time being until I can work it all out for myself. I haven't been hungry at all since I started, so hopefully I'll persevere. :)

We like the Turkey Burger recipe from the Fast Diet. Easy to prepare a batch and freeze. Not an expensive recipe.

Also prepare a batch of bolognaise and freeze portions. Lightly saute spiralized courtgettes and you have a quick inexpensive yummy meal.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Aye, I bought the recipe book too and found the same expensive ingredients. All I do is leave out or substitute those ingredients.
I found that some of the recipes varied so little to my own recipes, except for the fillers like rice, pasta and potatoes that it meant little. What it did teach me is that ordinary meals can be adapted easily to follow a blood sugar diet. Keep up the good work!

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's continued good progress so keep going. Well done so far.

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Excellent!!! And well done for keeping it going. The blood sugar book was the first book I read after dx and it really did change my life. It led me here, to jason fung and diet doctor.

Now I dont follow the recipes at all. Like you I found them very expensive and they took ages to prepare. If a meal only takes 5 minutes to eat I feel a bit resentful about spending an hour getting it ready!

Angelloubjr33

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Michael Mosely's 'Blood Sugar Diet' was the first book I read after diagnosis. It is very good but I chose not to do the diet to lose weight only to lower my blood glucose. Along with the advice I received here on the forum, it worked.
I’m trying to lose weight was just wondering what advice you where given about that and lowering your blood sugars to

Angelloubjr33

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My husband and I both did the diet with very successful results. I managed to 'reverse my diabetes' (to quote the diabetic nurse). Further tests confirmed that I now have Impaired Glucose Tolerance. I lost 3 stone in all, my husband lost 4 stone. We did the 8 week diet, and then continued slowly adding a few more calories to our diets. This was a year ago now, and we have had very little weight gain since. Basically we low carb, but not as strictly and many here on the forum.

When we were following the diet people commented on it being extreme, but we never felt that. We always had plenty to eat, just had to train ourselves to stop snacking!
Trying to lose weight so some advice would be good

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Since going low carb again all the aches and pains in my knees have reduced considerably - I do avoid plant oils now, where I was eating them regularly before, on the advice of my doctor.
It is hard to decide what has had an effect when multiple things have been changed, but something has made a big difference.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I’m trying to lose weight was just wondering what advice you where given about that and lowering your blood sugars to

I wasn't overweight at the time of diagnosis so I concentrated on lowering my bg. I lost weight anyway on the LCHF diet, it was only a bit because I can't excercise and I think that might have slowed down the fall in my bg but I'm happy with how that is going.
Michael Moseley promotes a mediteraneanised diet, lots of colourful vegetables, lots of avocado and fish. He also says cutting down on carbs is the most important thing for diabetic people. I got the recipe book that accompanies his book and that has some really nice meals in it.