Does anyone else feel hypo type symptoms when high?

Clementine68

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been diabetic since I was 15 (1984) and recently I have been feeling like I was having a hypo, feeling hot and uncoordinated but when I test my blood it is usually in the higher numbers of 13-15. Just in case you are thinking it, it's not the menopause been and done that . Does anyone else get this?

FatBoyT

All the time. I am thin and run out of energy every few hours. What my metre says is almost irrelevant.

However if I am high but still crashing I go for protein like cold meat from the deli.

Reactions: natariimei

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been diabetic since I was 15 (1984) and recently I have been feeling like I was having a hypo, feeling hot and uncoordinated but when I test my blood it is usually in the higher numbers of 13-15. Just in case you are thinking it, it's not the menopause been and done that . Does anyone else get this?
i get this all the time clementine although only been diagnosed 5 mths it tends to happen to me when im out having a browse round the shops then when it happens i go into panic mode and want to come home but i will have to learn to cope otherwise il never go over the door x

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Clementine68 . Yes, most definitely. Happens, but only when I'm at work. If for any reason I go above 12 or so I will occasionally feel hypo symptoms. Hunger, light headed and uncoordinated.
Really frustrating when you do check sugars and find food/ goodies are off the menu:banghead::banghead::banghead:
Usually find a drink helps short term until a correction dose kicks in.

cherylt1d

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes i get this way if my sugars have run high over a period of time and they come down slightly. Im also experiencing some high bg symptoms when my sugars are in range?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
In my experience, hypo like symptoms are also very similar to fluctuations in my blood levels. Especially when spiking quickly and dropping quickly. Even though I wasn't in hypo territory!

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Yep. Too high can feel like too low. I guess any imbalance messes up my brain.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Clementine68 . Yes, most definitely. Happens, but only when I'm at work. If for any reason I go above 12 or so I will occasionally feel hypo symptoms. Hunger, light headed and uncoordinated.
Really frustrating when you do check sugars and find food/ goodies are off the menu:banghead::banghead::banghead:
Usually find a drink helps short term until a correction dose kicks in.

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ge this quite a lot unfortunately. I have been type 1 since 1981 and especially when I go out walking usually in pretty remote areas myself. Always ensure I have plenty to eat plenty of back up supplies as well. I can walk for a while then feel low. I can convince myself I am low yet when I check it can be 10/12. Also tend to get this in very crowded areas, think it may be a wee touch of panic attack

Reactions: Bon83

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yup. Type 2 here, but if I hit 10 I get dizzy, the sweats, confused... Just like a hypo.

Shannon27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I get this, been T1 since I was 5 (2000). High blood sugar thickens the blood slightly so it's harder for oxygen to get where it needs to go, mainly the brain. Makes you feel really tired and woozy. I've recently started working at getting my a1c down, and I've been feeling so much better!

D

Deleted Account

I get this if I am high at night.
It seems I wake up when high or low - I feel groggy, sweaty and restless.
Thankfully, once I convince myself I have been awake for long enough, take a reading and correct appropriately, the hypo or hypo-like symptoms go and I can get back to my zzzzzzzzzing

ray2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So glad I've seen this post. I'm T2 but as soon as I hit 12 or more I get the sort of symptoms you all describe especially the confused tiredness. Its so irritating when I'm doubted by the medics who seem to think its not worth worrying about anything under 20

wardywilbury

Been getting these too (T2) thought it was just me but good to know and now can try to address. Have taken bg readings when they happen but it's my just higher than my current "normal"

Glucobabu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ge this quite a lot unfortunately. I have been type 1 since 1981 and especially when I go out walking usually in pretty remote areas myself. Always ensure I have plenty to eat plenty of back up supplies as well. I can walk for a while then feel low. I can convince myself I am low yet when I check it can be 10/12. Also tend to get this in very crowded areas, think it may be a wee touch of panic attack
Isn't it odd that even after living with the condition for a long time how difficult it can be to work out whether what you are feeling is the result of low or high BG! I have been Type 1 for 42 years and fairly well controlled and thankfully with no complications yet. However, I've have always suffered from niggling back pain which usually tends to come on with an oncoming hypo. But it is also often triggered by high BG. Often it gets so bad that I find it difficult to continue walking and look for somewhere to sit down. I would love to hear from anyone else who can relate to this backache linked to BG level.

Janet_rabbit

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
intolerance, hatred, fighting

Janet_rabbit

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
intolerance, hatred, fighting
I find it hard to tell difference between hypo and panic attack symptoms. I get claustrophobic and the stress of being closed in often makes my BG soar but i feel shaky and sweaty and panicky just like a hypo. Cant tell without testing whether im too high or too low!

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm a type 2, but when I'm high I can eat for England, and when I'm very high I just have to sleep

ray2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm a type 2, but when I'm high I can eat for England, and when I'm very high I just have to sleep
The tricky bit comes at work when I get that "just have to sleep" feeling...it's horrendous!

theoldfunker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi and thanks for posting this I have followed all the comments as this has happened to me a couple of days ago, felling sleepy yet numbers are right, took a chance and had a bit of chocolate and soo I was back to normal. It seems to me that my BG may have dropped too quick after lunch as I had a couple of glasses of water afterwards