Any teachers out there had time off for IVF?

Little My

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm a part time teacher 4 days a week and I'm currently going through IVF after 3 long years trying to conceive.My headteacher knows about the treatment and the journey I've been on over the build up to this point.I've requested time off for appointments and scans.I just wondered if any diabetic teachers out there have been through IVF?! I've asked for 2 weeks off unpaid as I'll be back and forth from the hospital over the 2 weeks of injections and my school is an hour away from the fertility clinic.My head has declined my request and said I can have half days off for appointments but need to give her plenty of notice.I only get given the next date and time of appointment following the previous appt so it's tricky to plan cover ahead.I'm high risk for OHSS and need to be closely monitored throughout next 2 weeks and the clinic advise that I have plenty of rest and take care of myself.I don't want to be stressed and have the best chance of the IVF working so any advice welcome?! Should I just go to the doctors and ask for a sick note?!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm a part time teacher 4 days a week and I'm currently going through IVF after 3 long years trying to conceive.My headteacher knows about the treatment and the journey I've been on over the build up to this point.I've requested time off for appointments and scans.I just wondered if any diabetic teachers out there have been through IVF?! I've asked for 2 weeks off unpaid as I'll be back and forth from the hospital over the 2 weeks of injections and my school is an hour away from the fertility clinic.My head has declined my request and said I can have half days off for appointments but need to give her plenty of notice.I only get given the next date and time of appointment following the previous appt so it's tricky to plan cover ahead.I'm high risk for OHSS and need to be closely monitored throughout next 2 weeks and the clinic advise that I have plenty of rest and take care of myself.I don't want to be stressed and have the best chance of the IVF working so any advice welcome?! Should I just go to the doctors and ask for a sick note?!

My suggestion would be an discussion with your GP to discuss it to gauge his views before the event, then, if necessary, you can think the options through and plan accordingly, rather than have that stress nearer the time.

Where an examination isn't required, I can have a telephone consultation with my GP. It's usually easier to get a prompt appointment for that, than wait for face to face.

Good luck with it all. I really do hope you end up with a bundle of joy.

Reactions: Little My

Little My

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My suggestion would be an discussion with your GP to discuss it to gauge his views before the event, then, if necessary, you can think the options through and plan accordingly, rather than have that stress nearer the time.

Where an examination isn't required, I can have a telephone consultation with my GP. It's usually easier to get a prompt appointment for that, than wait for face to face.

Good luck with it all. I really do hope you end up with a bundle of joy.

Thanks for your replies. I've just booked an appointment with my GP for Tues morning.From what I've read people seem to need more time off nearer to egg removal and for recovery after op so it might be worth hanging on until after my 8 day scan then having 2 weeks off after that.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for your replies. I've just booked an appointment with my GP for Tues morning.From what I've read people seem to need more time off nearer to egg removal and for recovery after op so it might be worth hanging on until after my 8 day scan then having 2 weeks off after that.

There's some information here @Little My

http://m.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=5457

Google also provides lots of personal examples where people have an haven't taken time off. Personally, I'd limit time off in the early stages but consider a sick note in the latter stages.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I didn't have IVF but had a thing called GIFT (not sure if they still even do this procedure) I am not T1 and wasn't diabetic at the time
The process for GIFT is the same as IVF as in the prep and harvesting of the eggs - I didn't take any time off apart from the scans that have to be accurately timed - I was an hour away from the hospital doing my treatment but I went to a local cottage hospital for my injections and even a local nursing home one day! - of course mine was on the NHS. Which probably made this possible - like others say I would try and take as little time as possible off until you need it - or go the whole hog and get a sick note - whatever works best for you.

Infertility treatment isn't just about the physical it's also about your mental health through it too and it can be stressful and draining you need to take very good care of your whole well being - wish you the very best of luck and hope it goes well for you :)

Little My

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for all your support.
Update!
I started the IVF meds and almost straight away I began to get nausea, headaches and my blood sugar was really erratic.I went into work on the Monday (day 4 on meds) and struggled all day.I went to see my GP first thing Tues and he signed me off work for 2 weeks and put on my sick note IVF as reason.My GP was lovely and reassured me the break from work would help me cope with the treatment.I am now in day 8 and my latest scan showed there are mature eggs in both my ovaries so things look like they are going in he right direction!

My school have emailed me the new sickness and absence policy today (could be coincident) and after reading it I'm now I'm worrying that I won't get paid for my time off and may have a stage 1 back to work meeting due to my absence.I was also off work for 2 and half weeks with stress of teaching and medical issues in March this year.Before this my attendance has always been excellent and I have worked at the same school for 12 years.
What are my rights as a diabetic employee? I know diabetes is classed as disability but both my absences have not stated on the GP sick notes that they are diabetes related.Although I feel if I didn't have the additional stress of keeping my blood sugars stable I may have coped better with things this year and maybe not needed as much time off.
Has anyone else been in a similar position?
Thanks for reading x

kitty55

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spiders
@Little My Sorry I can't help with your question regarding your new sickness & absence policy but just wanted to say I hope your IVF cycle went well and you got some nice eggs that fertilised well.
I can tell you that I worked in education in 2015 and went through 3 cycles, 2 of which I didn't have any time off for the treatment but rather just a day for scan etc (as I live 2.5hrs away from our fertility clinic). 1st cycle I had a BFP but mc'ed early, the 2nd cycle failed and then I had a few months break before our last cycle. I was signed off by my GP from the moment I started drugs (in agreement with my manager at the time though - she was incredibly supportive!) and only came back to work when I had my positive test and then really looked after myself. That positive test is almost 14 months now and thankfully still asleep :).
I have everything crossed for you and hope it all goes well! xx

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for all your support.
Update!
I started the IVF meds and almost straight away I began to get nausea, headaches and my blood sugar was really erratic.I went into work on the Monday (day 4 on meds) and struggled all day.I went to see my GP first thing Tues and he signed me off work for 2 weeks and put on my sick note IVF as reason.My GP was lovely and reassured me the break from work would help me cope with the treatment.I am now in day 8 and my latest scan showed there are mature eggs in both my ovaries so things look like they are going in he right direction!

My school have emailed me the new sickness and absence policy today (could be coincident) and after reading it I'm now I'm worrying that I won't get paid for my time off and may have a stage 1 back to work meeting due to my absence.I was also off work for 2 and half weeks with stress of teaching and medical issues in March this year.Before this my attendance has always been excellent and I have worked at the same school for 12 years.
What are my rights as a diabetic employee? I know diabetes is classed as disability but both my absences have not stated on the GP sick notes that they are diabetes related.Although I feel if I didn't have the additional stress of keeping my blood sugars stable I may have coped better with things this year and maybe not needed as much time off.
Has anyone else been in a similar position?
Thanks for reading x

Little My - Fingers crossed for your IVF cycle. As you say, it looks like you are doing fine a the moment.

Clearly the wording of sickness and absence policy (SAP) is important, but also what was actually written on any asick notes you have had.

Curiously enough, I helped a family member work through an SAP over the last couple of years (yes, it took that long!), when she ended up on a Stage 2, following a bit of an unfortunate cluster of events.

She is also covered under the Disibility Act, following on from aggresive cancer treatment which lefther with modest physical restrictions, but also a very inefficient immune system ( she is on both steroids and daily prophylactic antibiotics for life).

Where we had breakthroughs were:

Thoroughly understanding in the SAP.
Finding out that when she crossed her 5 years in remission, her protection under the DA had just been removed; irrespective of the fact that the impacts of her cancer were the issue, not the recovery from her treatment. (Took 18 months and three Consultants to have the HA agreed to reinstate it.)
Ensuring that the wording of every sicknote is clearly differentiated. to point out those were the condition is impacted by her weak immune system.

That doesn't mean she is immune from any other iterations of SAP coming back into play, it just ensures that relevant absences are recognised and not counted in the totting up process.

Personally, I think both the absences you cite you'll have to take on the chin, but I do think a chat with your GP is in order, to talk about them. He or she may take a different view on the underlying reasons for your absence, but altering historic sicknotes is likely a challenge.

That you have been sent the SAP doesn;t necessarily mean your Head will trigger it. There is usually some discretion in these things, but bearing in mind you are likely to work with other young women of child-bearing age, he may feel for consistency (and potential precedents) he has not choice.

But, for now, whilst you're off ensure you get to grips with the policy, and ideally speak to your Doc. It could be worthwhile you share the relevant sections with the Doc.

Of course, it's a tricky one, but the hard-nosed would say that you are volunteering for IVF, therefore you're likely walking into this with your eyes open. That said, I do understand the desire for a child and how that can really become a priority.

Good luck with it all. I hope it all works out well for you.

kitty55

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spiders
Of course, it's a tricky one, but the hard-nosed would say that you are volunteering for IVF, therefore you're likely walking into this with your eyes open. That said, I do understand the desire for a child and how that can really become a priority.

It starts ruling your life and everything in it and I am glad I gave my IVF 100% priority over everything else as that was what mattered at the time and it eventually thankfully worked out. Saying that I have had a lot of support from my work but if it had been the opposite I would've handed my notice in.