I've just done something stupid.

Jc3131

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was out and I had a full English Breakfast. The carby stuff was the toast, hash brown and the beans. I didn't take any insulin as I thought my body would cover a bit of it with me being in honeymoon period.

When I got home I checked bs and it was 10.4, this was 45 mins after eating. So I decided to give myself 2 units of novorapid.

This is something I've never done and have read it's dangerous.

Will I be ok as I only took 2 units? Also if I run low later I can have a snack to keep me out of the dangerzone.

Cheers
John

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
It's easy done so don't beat yourself. Just monitor your bg levels if your concerned about going low later, if you do go hypo just eat some fast-acting glucose.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Don't panic @Jc3131 What you need to do is keep testing regularly to make sure you don't go too low.

Although it is ok to take a correction dose, I'd normally do that at 2 hours not so soon after eating.

Test frequently and be ready to top up with carbs if needed.

Reactions: Dodo and Jc3131

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Jc3131 - Without knowing your insulin:carb ratios it's difficult for anyone to assume if this is dangerous or not, however by not taking insulin to cover the carbs eaten your BG levels will continue to rise, so by taking some you are managing this, which as far as I am concerned is a sensible idea. The best advice now is to check your levels again in an hour and see how the insulin has affected your levels and again an hour afterwards. You are still learning how your body responds to insulin so it's helpful to know what's going on and of course avoid going hypo.

Jc3131

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok cheers. Thanks for the quick replies.

Don't know why I thought I could do this. Just a moment of madness.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Jc3131 Definitely not a moment of madness, it's called a correction dose which is what we do when we need to halt a rising BG level, as long as you've worked out what your correction dose should be with your DSN then it's perfectly fine to do :)

Jc3131

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
We Live and we Learn, hope you enjoyed your Full English :)
Aye It was nice. But dunno if it was worth the hassle.

Also as I was shovelling the food in my Dsn rang. Talk about timing, I'm decreasing my Lantus from 4 to 3 units as I keep dipping below 5mmol a few hours after food. That was one of the reasons for the fry up

Last edited:

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Given what you ate, how much would you have injected if doing it before? If the answer is 2 then you are probably safe. But keep testing.
I've gone out to eat before and realised I have no insulin/no needle, so the scramble home after to inject is familiar - not dead yet!

Jc3131

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just tested an hour after and im 6.1. So im going to have to eat something. Got a tube of pringles to munch through.

I've not ate anything like that since I was diagnosed 3 months ago.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Just tested an hour after and im 6.1. So im going to have to eat something. Got a tube of pringles to munch through.

I've not ate anything like that since I was diagnosed 3 months ago.

Enjoy, but possibly not the whole tube. Back to the balancing act. Groan.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Also as I was shovelling the food in my Dsn rang. Talk about timing, I'm decreasing my Lantus from 4 to 3 units as I keep dipping below 5mmol a few hours after food. That was one of the reasons for the fry up

There's no reason why you can't have a cooked breakfast sometimes :) Count the carbs and bolus if needed.

The honeymoon period is hard because your own pancreas can still produce some of its own insulin, so that could be contributing.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Well if you enjoyed it it was worth the hassle, at least next time you know you'll have to inject some insulin.

Hopefully the reduction in your basal dose will keep your bg more steady, have a good weekend John and hope The Black Cats win at Hull.

Reactions: Jc3131

Jc3131

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well if you enjoyed it it was worth the hassle, at least next time you know you'll have to inject some insulin.

Hopefully the reduction in your basal dose will keep your bg more steady, have a good weekend John and hope The Black Cats win at Hull.
Sunderland and win are not two words that go together

Jc3131

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There's no reason why you can't have a cooked breakfast sometimes :) Count the carbs and bolus if needed.

The honeymoon period is hard because your own pancreas can still produce some of its own insulin, so that could be contributing.
My pancreas seems to be kicking out more insulin at the moment. Don't know if its coming to the end of its life or if it's just doing it for the crack.

Jc3131

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just to add to that i reduced my Lantus to 3 units. I woke up and was 4.8mmol had my normal breakfast and a choc biscuit. Two hours later im 5.6 without any novorapid ( i never take novo before breakfast) its a strange one. And for first time in ages i dont feel sickly and hungover.

Reactions: noblehead

jamesfitz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Stay on insulin while in the honeymoon period

you need to protect the beta cells you still have!!