Anyone else find certain newspapers reporting annoying?

L3wisr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just got this slice of wisdom from the dailymail (i'm bored in work).

"
Diabetes costs the NHS almost £9billion a year and one in six hospital beds at any one time are occupied by someone with the condition.

The number of patients diagnosed has increased by 60 per cent in a decade due to rising levels of obesity, which greatly increases the risk.

The illness can be prevented and even reversed – after patients have been diagnosed – through basic lifestyle changes which lower the blood sugar."

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Well there is one bright note - that diabetes can be reversed is not something many healthcare professionals subscribe to.

Reactions: donnellysdogs

L3wisr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The comments are even better:

dorsetlad99, bournemouth, United Kingdom, less than a minute ago

Stop eating cake and get of your lazy fat ar ses and exercise.

exLondoner, Southend, United Kingdom, less than a minute ago

Do they think these low lifes will care? 1 billion wasted.

bill, nuneaton, 2 minutes ago

Time for the cheaper option. Tell them they are fat and should get off their a rse.
peter, eastleigh, United Kingdom, 6 minutes ago

They trialed a slimming world prescription in Hampshire. What was on he average result?

...the perception is great.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just got this slice of wisdom from the dailymail (i'm bored in work).

"
Diabetes costs the NHS almost £9billion a year and one in six hospital beds at any one time are occupied by someone with the condition.

The number of patients diagnosed has increased by 60 per cent in a decade due to rising levels of obesity, which greatly increases the risk.

The illness can be prevented and even reversed – after patients have been diagnosed – through basic lifestyle changes which lower the blood sugar."
It's the Daily Hate Mail. What else would you expect? Seems to be blaming diabetics for their condition. The usual overeating nonsense. I'm a 9 stone type 2.
While The Mail does sometimes run good campaigning stories which are very useful; it also spreads hatred and division to sell newspapers.

Reactions: Dodo and Guzzler

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Time for the cheaper option. Tell them they are fat and should get off their a rse.

They trialed a slimming world prescription in Hampshire. What was on he average result?

The Mail has always appealed to peoples' worst prejudices.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
In answer to your thread question @L3wisr the answer is No.

The fact is the press and media as a whole often report wrongly on medical conditions............not just diabetes, life is too short to get frustrated and annoyed so skip by those stories :)

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.

The fact is the press and media as a whole often report wrongly on medical conditions............not just diabetes, life is too short to get frustrated and annoyed so skip by those stories :)

Yup, skip them. Do wish they didn't have so much influence on so many people tho

Reactions: dbr10

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The NHS could save billions if the government promoted low carb diets as a way to reduce obesity. About 80% of people with type 2 diabetes are overweight or obese. Treating type 2 diabetes with drugs is a waste of money if diet and lifestyle changes can effectively reduce high blood sugars down to non-diabetic levels.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I agree. Prioritise what matters and ignore the 'News' papers and everyone else's BS

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No! I no longer find any newspaper reporting annoying, because I don't and won't waste my time reading the load of utter codswallop that too many of them tend to publish.

Robbity

Reactions: karen8967 and dbr10

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
The NHS could save billions if the government promoted low carb diets as a way to reduce obesity. About 80% of people with type 2 diabetes are overweight or obese. Treating type 2 diabetes with drugs is a waste of money if diet and lifestyle changes can effectively reduce high blood sugars down to non-diabetic levels.

I think this is happening, GPS are being asked to refer people at risk of developing T2 to cooking and exercise classes. Personally, I wish that there were legislation concerning the proportion of high fibre, low sugar, low GI foods that outlets must provide. Has anyone tried to buy non-sliced wholemeal bread recently?

Grumpy ole thing

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
discovering you cant actually turn the stairs round, or move the roof...

Spiteful little bunch aren't they...good communication skills, well thought out responses, clear grasp of concept, enough life experience to truly believe that if its in the paper it must be true. Chin up @L3wisr, some things aren't worth bothering about x