greek yogurt

imperp

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello, I saw that lots of people suggest greek yogurt. I tried the full fat variety and added a handful of blueberries and strawberries. My blood glucose approx 1.5 hrs after eating was at 9.7. Does anyone else have a problem with this. Tried weetabix yesterday and that put me up to 11. Yet a jkt potato eaten with a gammon steak only put me at 7. If anything I was expecting the potato to cause the most problems. Also with low carb approach do you count everything? Even citrus fruit and leafy veg? Im trying really hard and I honestly think Im making good choices yet still I cant get my glucose into the normal range. I am so far trying with diet and excerise alone - as recommended by nurse. any suggestions or comments greatly appreciated

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Not only do the yoghurts differ in the carbs, check the labels, but I also find that I can tolerate fewer blueberries than raspberries or strawberries. Keep on testing and trying different combinations until you find what works for you. It looks as if you are lucky and can tolerate some potato at the moment but breakfast cereals are nearly all high in carbs and in particular wheat flour which you may find is another factor. Keep a record and good luck.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Can I assume the potato and steak were eaten in the evening? We are generall ,ore carb sensative in the evening and more resistant in the morning. Loads of us don't tolerate carbs in the morning and do better with coffee and full fat cream or something along the lines od eggs with or without bacon.

Fruit will spike me a bunch and a crazy bunch in the morning If you want to try yogurt again leave the fruit out or reduce the portions of the entire meal. You could try some fruit later in the day and see how that goes.

For me, getting bf right ( not spiking) sets me up for the day. If I spike at bf I'll be messed up all day. Bf does not have to be bf food. I have avocado. Still very simple and low carb high fat and fiber. Bf can be left over meat and veg from last nights dinner, eggs,smoked salmon ( low sugar) and cream cheese, etc Best to leave cereal and breads off

Reactions: Key_master_

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Was this for breakfast? Many people find mornings are never the best time to eat any carbs. Evenings are the best. Maybe try it later in the day as a dessert, and remember that blueberries have more carbs than strawberries and raspberries. Maybe a handful was too many. Personally I have to stick to 2 or 3 large strawberries or 4 or 5 small ones. Keep trying, change the portion sizes, play around with it and you will soon find a portion and time of day that suits you. You could also swap the yogurt for double cream.

One more thing. Don't be too concerned about the level after eating just yet - look at the amount of the rise from before the meal to the 2 hour mark. That is what is important, and needs to be under 2mmol/l, preferably less. Did you test all those meals before and after, and what were the rises?

Reactions: dbr10

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello, I saw that lots of people suggest greek yogurt. I tried the full fat variety and added a handful of blueberries and strawberries. My blood glucose approx 1.5 hrs after eating was at 9.7. Does anyone else have a problem with this. Tried weetabix yesterday and that put me up to 11. Yet a jkt potato eaten with a gammon steak only put me at 7. If anything I was expecting the potato to cause the most problems. Also with low carb approach do you count everything? Even citrus fruit and leafy veg? Im trying really hard and I honestly think Im making good choices yet still I cant get my glucose into the normal range. I am so far trying with diet and excerise alone - as recommended by nurse. any suggestions or comments greatly appreciated

also please bear in mind that it will take a while for your system to settle down, If you eat low carbs, leave a big gap between meals overnight, then gradually you should start to see improvements.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can handle Greek yoghurt and raspberries or strawberries and one small potato with meat and veg. You've quoted all your post meal sugars but not your pre meal ones. You're looking of a rise of no more than 2 from pre meal to post.

imperp

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Was this for breakfast? Many people find mornings are never the best time to eat any carbs. Evenings are the best. Maybe try it later in the day as a dessert, and remember that blueberries have more carbs than strawberries and raspberries. Maybe a handful was too many. Personally I have to stick to 2 or 3 large strawberries or 4 or 5 small ones. Keep trying, change the portion sizes, play around with it and you will soon find a portion and time of day that suits you. You could also swap the yogurt for double cream.

One more thing. Don't be too concerned about the level after eating just yet - look at the amount of the rise from before the meal to the 2 hour mark. That is what is important, and needs to be under 2mmol/l, preferably less. Did you test all those meals before and after, and what were the rises?

I would say on average I go up by a minimum of 3mmol/l. I think I'm doing ok in the carb front and keeping it to below 120g per day. Not having any think such as sweets, casket etc. Not snacking either keeping to just the 3 meals per day Do you think I should go back to docs or give it more time. One thing is tho I rarely go into double figures that's only happened twice. Usually sitting around 6 before meals and up to 8.9 after.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Almost 3 rise is too high. And 8.9 is too high, at least in my world

10 carbs in the morning from the yogurt then add the fruit carbs and I'd say your body can't handle that many carbs.

For me, every one carabiner raises me about 7 points. ( (US) and more even in the morning. So I would have gone up at least 70. Perhaps just eat half that amount with an egg

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I would say on average I go up by a minimum of 3mmol/l. I think I'm doing ok in the carb front and keeping it to below 120g per day. Not having any think such as sweets, casket etc. Not snacking either keeping to just the 3 meals per day Do you think I should go back to docs or give it more time. One thing is tho I rarely go into double figures that's only happened twice. Usually sitting around 6 before meals and up to 8.9 after.

You need to give it a lot more time. No need to go back to the GP just yet, and all he would do is increase your medication.

If you are going up by a minimum of 3mmol/l you are eating too many carbs in those meals - more than your personal carb tolerance. You need to keep it below 2mmol/l at all times. This will require smaller portions of carbs and/or eliminating some, which is where a food diary comes in handy so you can see how much of what you ate.

200g of yogurt plus blueberries plus strawberries is a lot of carbs/sugar for breakfast. If I were you I would discontinue with this breakfast and go over to something with eggs such as an omelet, or plain boiled eggs, or bacon and eggs, or cold meats and cheese.

It is good that you are not snacking as that helps a lot, and of course no sweets or cakes is also good, but it does appear you need to really reduce those carbs as you haven't reduced them down to your personal tolerance level yet. I suspect smaller portions would be beneficial for you.

Reactions: donnellysdogs

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My dietician has suggested mixing ground flax seed with my GY to increase my daily fiber, which seems like a good idea - Omega-3s and all that healthy stuff.

That is what I do. I also sprinkle it on foods (a bit like you do with salt and pepper). I swear by it.

Reactions: donnellysdogs

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I can only eat a few carbs in the morning and always reserve berries for a dessert after dinner - but I can't eat many carbs in total.
I have a maximum of 60gm a day and often stay lower than that. I do get normal numbers though, and I like salads, so it is no trouble to stick to those levels.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Did you test after two hours as you may have been lower? We are all individuals in that what works for one doesn't for somebody else. I have about 125g of Greek yoghurt with berries and flaxseed for breakfast during the week and my BS are ok. I can also have small amounts of potatoes and bread - depending on type. Give it time, keep testing and you'll soon find out what foods you can eat and those that you should be wary of or avoid completely. Remember, as people on here frequently say, it is a marathon not a sprint!

Key_master_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Alpro all the way for me. 2.2 per 100g. They do a strained version too, again 2.2 approx and 6g protein per 100.

I always get them on offer at £1 a pot for 500g

My breakfast today.. 200g alpro 4.4g carbs and 10g hemp seed, 5g chia, 5g flaxseed, 5g walnuts, 5g Brazil nuts, 5g hazelnuts and plenty of cinnamon. Lovely and around 6g carbs. Has a slight mince pie taste to it. Reminds me of xmas.

Reactions: Pinkorchid

Key_master_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My breakfast today.. 200g alpro 4.4g carbs and 10g hemp seed, 5g chia, 5g flaxseed, 5g walnuts, 5g Brazil nuts, 5g hazelnuts and plenty of cinnamon. Lovely and around 6g carbs. Has a slight mince pie taste to it. Reminds me of xmas.

265ffcad23b697d817bf7177302693c6.jpg