Type 1 Question about going on holiday to another country (Urgent)

Coreylewis21

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello there.

I am the biggest worrier known to man haha.

I go to France in 2 days (fly from UK to France) and I am freaking out as this is the first time I will be going on holiday as a diabetic.

I have got a letter from my diabetes center as proof that I am diabetic.

How should I prepare my medication/needles?
Do I tell somebody?
Any advice?
What should I be prepared for?
Anything else?

Thanks so much in advance

Corey.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello there.

I go to France in 2 days (fly from UK to France) and I am freaking out as this is the first time I will be going on holiday as a diabetic.

Do I tell somebody?
Any advice?
Anything else?

Corey.
Can 't offer too much advice on the T1 front as T2 diet controlled but my husband has heart problems and we always take a list of his medications with us and his pills in our hand luggage. He also has cards detailing his condions in his wallet and an SOS neck chain. In addition and apologies if this is a 'numpty' but obvious question - have you got travel insurance as well as your EHIC card?
If so enjoy your holiday!

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Obviously, you'll need insulin in your liquids. This should also go in hand luggage, not hold as it will get frozen in hold luggage and ruined. Most airlines will allow a second hand luggage for medical supplies.

You'll get asked about sharps in luggage. The response: I'm diabetic, there are needles, is pretty sufficient.

Have you told you're travel insurance?

Stop freaking out. Being diabetic on a plane or in France is the same as being diabetic on the ground or in the uk.

https://jdrf.org.uk/living-with-type-1/everyday-life/travelling/

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Just read the JDRF article and all will be fine, France isn't too far away so just enjoy your holiday :)

Ashley13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello there.

Do I tell somebody?
Any advice?
Anything else?

Corey.

I always make sure everything is packed in my hand luggage - I don't even mention to anyone that I'm diabetic and have medication. It all stays in my bag when it goes through the scanner, there's no need to put your insulin on the scanner separately. I don't even say I have any sharp items in my bag so there's no explanation needed to baggage handlers. Of course if my bag was checked and any questions asked I would then answer accordingly.

The guys at the airport have so many diabetics go through every day, they don't ever say anything. The only time anything was mentioned was at an airport in Crete and the security officer basically asked if it was insulin in my bag and I said yes - no other questions asked