Help! Butternut squash

lou258

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just making myself some soup and had a sudden panic!

I'm carb counting (t1 for 1 month!) - do I need to include carbs for the squash? I can see on the app I use there is carbs but I was told I only need to worry about potatoes and the like (and baked beans!) and all other veggies I didn't need to include.

Pls can someone help? Thanks so much :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
You could skip the bolus dose and see what happens to your bg levels, with you being newly diagnosed and likely in the Honeymoon Period you may just get away with it.

It's really trial & error, but by testing your postprandial bg levels you'll find the answer and will know for next time you have the soup. Enjoy.

Reactions: victronnix

lou258

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks @noblehead :) it's not often I'm industrious enough to actually make soup - hoping it's edible haha!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Butternut squash is 10 percent net carbs so it might be significant if eaten in quantity or a couple of times a day - there are lower carb vegetables which might be less of a problem.

Voodoorising

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My Partner makes us butternut squash and Chirizo soup it’s really tasty and filling

Reactions: lou258

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ah I love soup! I put my ingredients into the MyFitness Pal app and it'll give you the carb content per serving. I don't bolus for anything under 15g carb

lou258

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks guys. Had the frozen remains over two separate days without bolus and they spiked my BG a little so think I need to bolus a little - maybe I just ate too much in one to :)

Robert_D

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates and lack of testing strips being supplied due to NICE rules.
Hi @lou258 I'm a T2D so I appreciate that my requirements are different to yours as you are on an insulin regime but my BG spiked on a butter squash salad which surprised me when I first got a monitor and tested everything. It wasn't until I was informed that it is a high starch vegetable that I appreciated that not all veggies are equal which kind of shocked me when I first started on the 6 day vegan 1 day salmon sashimi program that I have adopted. Anyway test/test/test as Dr Bernstein's Diabetes solution says and all is revealed in the end. Good luck with your efforts.