Personal Question

evj95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've noticed that at the moment I am roughly a week late with my period and am wondering if this could have been affected by starting on Novorapid and Lantus?
If so, is this common?
Before anyone asks, No there is no chance that I could be pregnant at all.

Reactions: Freema

Crystalwand

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have never heard about insulin and the monthly pain, but there again I was never on time every three to four months, ask your DN that's if they are any good, I am now going through the change, that's not fun either, take care ask the question and don't worry to much

auroralapetite

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, my period was 2 weeks late after being diagnosed with Type 1. If you lost weight before diagnosis, that could also be a reason why it's late.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @evj95 not heard of this in relation to taking insulin, maybe mention it your DSN the next time you speak to them ?

lou258

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was discussing this with someone today as I'm a month diagnosed and now I think a couple of weeks late. I was assuming it was still my body recovering from my dka but was going to check at next appt if still not appeared.
I've also been told that when it does arrive might mess with BG levels so will be interested to see what happens!

Nickinoodles_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm only a few months diagnosed with type 1 and as I was unwell ( like everyone prob was) for a while I only got my period after 3 months - this was due to an iron deficiency and my bg went all over the place when I did get it. So be careful

evj95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@auroralapetite I lost roughly two - three stone before diagnosis, which is slowly starting to re-appear. So that may be another reason probably.

@Juicyj I don't have an appointment with my DSN until december, but have got her phone number, so I shall ring and enqiure on Monday if it hasn't turned up by then. Roughly two weeks late already and didn't notice to start with!

@lou258 I was in DKA when diagnosed as well, so maybe that factors in with the glorious monthly gift we all have to deal with.

Reactions: lou258 and Juicyj

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
I have found that when I'm on too much insulin my periods are much shorter. Having a regular cycle for me is usually a sign that everything else is working.

Shannon27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've noticed that at the moment I am roughly a week late with my period and am wondering if this could have been affected by starting on Novorapid and Lantus?
If so, is this common?
Before anyone asks, No there is no chance that I could be pregnant at all.
Hey @evj95 I was on these insulins until quite recently when I changed from Lantus to Tresiba, I'm unsure how that affected me but are you on the pill? I was on Cerazette until February I was getting really irregular periods (2 a month sometimes!), gone onto Microgynon and they've been spot on since, and predictable too so I don't need to worry.
So I've been on the new pill since February and it's been regular since. Could it be anything to do with the pill? Maybe Microgynon works better for diabetics? It'd be interesting to find out!

Scarlett91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed last week and I asked if novarapid and lantus could affect my cycle and she said there was a small chance. I'm a newbie so don't know too much but thought I'd pass that on xo

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I didn't get a period for a few years before DX. They tested me while I was losing weight right before DX and told me I was post menopausal. Then a year later said I was back in peri meno. WHAT??? Now back in post.

I would tend to think it's the state of health your body is /was in rather than the actual insulin. High bg and lack of insulin both are not healthy.

evj95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey @evj95 I was on these insulins until quite recently when I changed from Lantus to Tresiba, I'm unsure how that affected me but are you on the pill? I was on Cerazette until February I was getting really irregular periods (2 a month sometimes!), gone onto Microgynon and they've been spot on since, and predictable too so I don't need to worry.
So I've been on the new pill since February and it's been regular since. Could it be anything to do with the pill? Maybe Microgynon works better for diabetics? It'd be interesting to find out!

No I'm not on the pill, so that isn't causing it at all. Been a while now, and I have to admit I am carrying pads with me everywhere I go in case I start whilst I'm out!.

I forgot to ring my DSN at the beginning of the week unfortuantely so will wait until next monday to ring if it still hasn't arrived.

@tigger I was like clockwork before diagnosis somehow, even with my body not working correctly but now that I have things sorted I have no idea what timescales I am on.

maria030660

Dislikes
backstabbers, brocoli and dirt toilets...uggghhhh
I lost a lot of weight when i was first diagnosed 33 years ago and my period stayed away for 3 months, then it came back irregular and then it regulated.....dont worry too much about it, stress can disrupt your period as well....and your BG;)