Liver Dump!!!!

She22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not much
Took my blood on waking 6.9 got ready for work and took blood before breakfast 7.6!!!!!! What a difference!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Took my blood on waking 6.9 got ready for work and took blood before breakfast 7.6!!!!!! What a difference!

Looks consistent to me. Allowing for a slight discrepancy with the actual meter.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
whats the exact reason for rise without any new food intake?

There isn't that much between 6.9 & 7.6mmol. It could just be the meter's interpretation of the BS reading..? Discrepancies don't just happen across seperate meters on a single sample. The same unit can vary a little too..
In this case the usual morning routine before work.. Which may have involed a hot beverage (or two.) with milk during the session?

Just an idea!? :)

maria111979

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
meters are said to be 95% accurate and the above difference is too big to be within the error limits of meter.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
.... There's still the idea about the milk in the tea/coffee.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Meters have an allowable margin of error of 15%. Your two readings taken separately that are less than 15% apart are therefore not considered to be significantly different.

In addition, simply the act of getting up and moving around on an empty stomach usually causes glucagon to be released to cause the liver to create glucose to provide fuel.

Both of these are possible, but 6.9 to 7.6 is not significantly different enough to put down to anything other than being within the expected deviation of the reader.

There is also the basic tenet that two samples of blood are very unlikely to have the same glucose content (blood isn't homogenous after all) so it is likely to be natural variation.

Reactions: 6 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Quite strange. Where did the extra glucose come from?
From your liver giving you a helping hand to get you started in the morning energy wise.

I get a slight rise in the morning if I don't eat fairly quickly after waking. If I don't eat and do even lightish exercise of any sort then I can get a much larger dump.

Robbity

Reactions: 2 people

maria111979

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Meters have an allowable margin of error of 15%. Your two readings taken separately that are less than 15% apart are therefore not considered to be significantly different.

In addition, simply the act of getting up and moving around on an empty stomach usually causes glucagon to be released to cause the liver to create glucose to provide fuel.

Both of these are possible, but 6.9 to 7.6 is not significantly different enough to put down to anything other than being within the expected deviation of the reader.

There is also the basic tenet that two samples of blood are very unlikely to have the same glucose content (blood isn't homogenous after all) so it is likely to be natural variation.
Thanks very well explained.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is the liver dumping glucose one of the reasons why a type 1 needs a background insulin?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Is the liver dumping glucose one of the reasons why a type 1 needs a background insulin?

We all have background (basal) insulin. The pancreas drip feeds insulin all day, 24/7, in small amounts as well as in big spurts when we eat. T1s don't have this luxury so need to inject basal to compensate.

Reactions: Alison Campbell