Type 2 Feeling lousy

fatbill717

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I found out more or less by accident that my blood sugars were high (15mmol or so).
For a longish time I'd put the symptoms down to the medication I was taking after a heart problem.
I've been on 2x850 Metformin for a while now, and after a stable period, I recently had a series of highs and lows, which changes to my diet seems to have sorted out. (too much carbs).
The silly problem is that when my bloods are OK.....5.5 to 7 or so, I feel ****, to put it bluntly.
I feel better when the levels are, according to what I read, highish.
Anybody else get this?
Could it be that I'm used to high blood sugar levels?
After lunch I have to have an hour's sleep, I feel shattered.
It's difficult trying to explain to my doctor here in Spain. My Spanish is good, apart from medical and technical stuff, and being a bit deaf doesn't help.

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, it is quite normal to feel **** for a short time when reducing carbs and getting your bloods to more normal levels. Our bodies get used to higher levels but that does not mean that those levels are good for us.

Linda_Clark

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I found out more or less by accident that my blood sugars were high (15mmol or so).
For a longish time I'd put the symptoms down to the medication I was taking after a heart problem.
I've been on 2x850 Metformin for a while now, and after a stable period, I recently had a series of highs and lows, which changes to my diet seems to have sorted out. (too much carbs).
The silly problem is that when my bloods are OK.....5.5 to 7 or so, I feel ****, to put it bluntly.
Anybody else get this?
It's difficult trying to explain to my doctor here in Spain. My Spanish is good, apart from medical and technical stuff, and being a bit deaf doesn't help.
omg yes!

I just did a reading and my blood glucose mmol reading is 5.3. I had to sit down immediately when I got home from my work out because I have a headache and feel clumsy, shaky and weak. I absolutely feel better when it is higher like around 7 or so. I am hoping it will just be something experienced in the beginning but will taper off and not be like this.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
omg yes!

I just did a reading and my blood glucose mmol reading is 5.3. I had to sit down immediately when I got home from my work out because I have a headache and feel clumsy, shaky and weak. I absolutely feel better when it is higher like around 7 or so. I am hoping it will just be something experienced in the beginning but will taper off and not be like this.

It is just your body adjusting to a lower level of glucose in the system. For a long time your body has run on high levels so is now complaining. It really doesn't take long to adjust, and don't give in to the temptation to eat your way out of it. It will pass. Make sure you drink plenty of fluids.

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
Anybody else get this?

Remarkably high bg in the morning 8:30 to 12:00 sometimes 13 despite the 2/4 of glyclazide. At supper though it goes down to 5-7 after the 3rd g dose. I don't understand the Dawn Syndrome because the morning is defined as high as 12Noon.

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm newly diagnosed type 1. My blood sugar levels were so high the nurse's decided to lower them slowly over a couple of weeks - I must have been running with them in the 30s for months before I was diagnosed.

I got the shakes at anything below 10 to start with. Splitting headaches too.

The past week I've pretty much managed to stay below 10 with the shakes kicking in <5. So getting there.

Brit90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I'm newly diagnosed type 1. My blood sugar levels were so high the nurse's decided to lower them slowly over a couple of weeks - I must have been running with them in the 30s for months before I was diagnosed.

I got the shakes at anything below 10 to start with. Splitting headaches too.

The past week I've pretty much managed to stay below 10 with the shakes kicking in <5. So getting there.

The shakes are a good thing. This means your body will wake you up when you are asleep and alert you to needing sugar.