Sweating

DiaBethic95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I exercise 5 days a week for roughly an hour each time. I usually go to classes like circuits and body attack at my local gym. Every time I exercise I sweat instantly, as soon as I start moving. Everyone else in the class seems fine, only sweating a little, but I am dripping! My face goes really red too. It's not that I'm unfit, I have been going to the gym since I was in college at 16 (roughly 6 years!) so my fitness is pretty good and I'm not overweight. I don't even get out of breath before I start sweating. Does anybody else have this problem? Is it just my body not cooling efficiently? I have had type 1 diabetes for 4 years now and this was never a problem before!
Thanks for any help!

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @DiaBethic95 . Strange one this. I workout 5/6 days a week and have been for as long as I can remember.
I've been T1 for 27 yrs and as far as I can remember I've always sweated a lot depending on what exercise I do.
Cardio more so than weights. Probably takes 5/10 mins and sweat will be dripping on floor.
Have you ever checked your BS before workout and then stopped shortly after you start your workout and tested your BS levels, might be interesting and give you an insight into what may be going on.
May also be an idea to hydrate before your workout, a lot of people don't hydrate until it's too late, usually when they start to sweat and feel thirsty.
Sorry can't offer anything more constructive but personally feel that if you're sugars are in range and you are hydrated and you're not feeling sick or uncomfortable during your workout then the sweating is just your way of regulating body temperature.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I'm the same. Red faced especially. Even whilst swimming. Before insulin too.
No matter how hydrated.
Now unable to exercise like in the past. I sweat just walking. It's embarrassing.
I've started to hate the feel of sweat now. Extra deodrante and purfume on clothes as I get paranoid about stale sweat on my clothes as the day progresses.
I'm not going through the menopause yet! God help me when I do.
Are you too young for menopause?

Reactions: gvintagedrken

Bon83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I exercise 5 days a week for roughly an hour each time. I usually go to classes like circuits and body attack at my local gym. Every time I exercise I sweat instantly, as soon as I start moving. Everyone else in the class seems fine, only sweating a little, but I am dripping! My face goes really red too. It's not that I'm unfit, I have been going to the gym since I was in college at 16 (roughly 6 years!) so my fitness is pretty good and I'm not overweight. I don't even get out of breath before I start sweating. Does anybody else have this problem? Is it just my body not cooling efficiently? I have had type 1 diabetes for 4 years now and this was never a problem before!
Thanks for any help!
I'm a sweaty person in the gym I always have been it's a sign I'm working hard. I don't see it as a problem really I know loads of other people who are sweaty and not diabetic. I don't look at other people - they may not be working as hard as you anyway. Is your exercise quite intense? I find interval training really really causes a sweat coz your heart rate is up and down. Sweating is a natural process as well.

DiaBethic95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm the same. Red faced especially. Even whilst swimming. Before insulin too.
No matter how hydrated.
Now unable to exercise like in the past. I sweat just walking. It's embarrassing.
I've started to hate the feel of sweat now. Extra deodrante and purfume on clothes as I get paranoid about stale sweat on my clothes as the day progresses.
I'm not going through the menopause yet! God help me when I do.
Are you too young for menopause?

Yeah I'm only 22! I drink at least 3 litres of water a day so I'm pretty hydrated too!!

DiaBethic95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm a sweaty person in the gym I always have been it's a sign I'm working hard. I don't see it as a problem really I know loads of other people who are sweaty and not diabetic. I don't look at other people - they may not be working as hard as you anyway. Is your exercise quite intense? I find interval training really really causes a sweat coz your heart rate is up and down. Sweating is a natural process as well.

Yeah I work pretty hard, it's all interval training that I do. Maybe it is because I'm constantly trying my hardest and others in the class aren't as much? I'm always self conscious about it because no one else seems to be as sweaty as me

Jessitalia

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks for any help!
Hi Beth! I totally have this problem. In fact it's the main reason (along with traffic light face) that I stopped exercising as a teenager (embarrassment) which I now totally regret (20 years on).

Davie_sett

Type of diabetes
Type 1
if im pushing really hard on the exercise bike or something theres normally a pool of sweat on the ground when iv finished. just have to watch out for dehydration

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
if im pushing really hard on the exercise bike or something theres normally a pool of sweat on the ground when iv finished. just have to watch out for dehydration

Hi Mate

Can you please message me for a private chat?

I would like to learn from you about sports, exercise and managing insulin etc?

Andrew

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Mate

Can you please message me for a private chat?

I would like to learn from you about sports, exercise and managing insulin etc?

Andrew

You said yesterday that you’re not on insulin.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for any help!

My guess is that you have adapted to a high level of exercise very quickly and your body is being efficient but I’m not a sports physiologist. Don’t compare yourself to anyone else, most haven’t yet pushed themselves to that point.
I’m also one of those sweaty, red faced people and I often shout at myself too!