Flu jab 2010/2011

anniep

Re: Flu jab 2010.

I had mine yesterday and no problem at all. Previous years I have had a sore arm for a day or so this year I can't even tell where it was done.

For those of us at more risk it is always worth getting it.

foxglove

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders - especially the big black ones!

My jab is due to be done tomorrow but am now just getting over a bad cold and still have a lot of catarrh so think I will have to cancel and hope I can get another appointment later.

Celtic.Piskie

Dislikes
Whole-wheat past and rice, tastes horrible. Cats, spiders, and people who think nick jonas is a musician.

I've booked my annual jab for next Monday but now I know the Swine Flu vaccine will be included, I am not sure if I should have it or not!

The normal 'flu vaccine is always combined with varying strains. The swine flu vaccine is absolutely no different to a normal flu vaccine. The only reason it was delivered seperatly last year was because it was an emergency situation.
The swine flu vaccine isn't made any differently to the normal one, no different ingredients, no different proccess, the only difference is it has the H1N1 strain, rather than another seasonal one.

The 'flu vaccine is ALWAYS combined with what people think will be the most prevalent strains.

cocacola

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
celery, not eating chocolate

I didn't get the swine flu vaccine last year, but did have the flu jab. This year we are being offered the combined flu/swine flu vaccine.
My local Asda are offering a single flu vaccine which is not combined with swine flu, or so I am told. It costs £8 and I think they are available on one day a week. My local Asda are doing the flu jab on Fridays.

DazG

I was at my doctors today, and she didnt offer me the flu jab tho I was offered it earlier this year when diagnosed. I am T2, should I be offered it this year?

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*

I'm due to get mine 3rd Nov. The surgery had a problem getting a delivery due to stock delay problems, so as I do not wish to avail myself for the early appointment list (08:30 to 09:30) I will wait until the afternoon sessions (13:30 to 15:00) start next month. Its being given by the poor run-ragged two practice nurses who seems to do everything except clean the loos.

I have never had any serious problems with the injection and as I suffer with heart and lung conditions (amongst other inflictions) I am very grateful the service is available to me.

brill

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Country & Western!

Just had mine this morning - no problems yet....
Before I was diagnosed I often used to pay to get a flu jab if I could, as I always got it every winter, sometimes twice. I blame my children who bring home every virus going..... Of course, they bounce back from it quickly, leaving me groaning in my pit!

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*

brill said:
Just had mine this morning - no problems yet....
Before I was diagnosed I often used to pay to get a flu jab if I could, as I always got it every winter, sometimes twice. I blame my children who bring home every virus going..... Of course, they bounce back from it quickly, leaving me groaning in my pit!

Thats the main problem for me Brill .. I try and keep away from crowds and places where flu etc can easily spread, but its others that visit my home wno bring viruses and bugs in with them.

ccoles1

I have had flu twice once last July I got swine flu, it start on the Sunday, Friday morning I phoned work to say I would be going in on Monday. Friday night I was taken into Hospital criticaly ill with pneumonia. Do not underestimate Flu and pneumonia. I have the flu jab every year and have the pneumonia jab. A friend of mine who was type1 got flu, and pneumonia and died at the age of 50. I have mine booked.

squishychickfi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
curry or anything spicy, snakes and mosquitos!

I have had my flu jab for the past 6 or 7 years without too much problem (other than a sore arm) I had it pre-diabetes due to asthma.

My 11 year old son also has his flu jab as when he was a baby he had flu that developed into pneumonia and had a collapsed lung. He hates having it, but I feel it is so important for us, especially as hubby and I are both teachers so we get 3 lots of school germs going round (and 2 lots are new to us this year with school moves!)

I think everything has its pros and cons, but for us it has been the right decision!

mehdave

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rubbish doctors who dont listen. Unclean hospitals

Got my flu jab and the pneumonia one aswell. 1 in each arm. The right arm is killing me that was the pneumonia one. The flu jab is just a little sore.

But I now have felt rotten and got a fever and achy muscles and the sniffles. although its worth in the long run. :lol:

DazG

I saw my doctor the other day and wasnt offered one so what do I do, do I ring and request? I thought it was something that had to be offered to me? :roll:

dorcas61

Dislikes
Bad manners, bullying

Saw Diabetic nurse this morning and she said I should have one - fine, but not looking forward to it - after this morning's taking of blood I was horrifed 20 minutes later to notice blood running down my arm!! Never happened before - plus, the worst bruise I've ever had before - has anyone else found they react worse to needles than they used to??

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)

Had mine last Saturday, no ill effects at all this year, not even a sore arm which I did get last year :D

As for blood tests, I've had a few over the last 4 years :lol: and I've had ones that hurt and left a huge bruise and others that I've not felt at all, Its just down to how good a vein they find. i used to be needle phobic, but with my chest/lung problems and the diabetes I can actually watch them doing it now and offer encouragement if they start flapping, I like them to be calm when they stick a needle in me :lol:

Never had one bleed for 20 minutes though, that could be a record :D

sugar2

DazG said:
I saw my doctor the other day and wasnt offered one so what do I do, do I ring and request? I thought it was something that had to be offered to me? :roll:

I think that depends on your surgery! At mine, they do not proactively offer you it, but they put up lots of posters, defining who is eligible, and then it is up to you to make an appointment.. You have to ask them, rather than the other way around.

anniep

In my surgery, I had to ask them for it the first time, when I was newly diagnosed. Then after that I was on the list, and get a letter every year. My previous doctors surgery didn't send ou the letters and would put up the notices etc but whenever they had contact with somebody in the eligible group would ask them if they had made their appointment yet.

hazyclaire

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Does anyone else find that the flu jab affects their sugar levels? I had mine Saturday morning, sugar levels were fine before and straight after, but by the evening I was in the 20s!! This should never happen as I carb count and am never out by that much usually!

Lemonie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

cocacola said:
My local Asda are offering a single flu vaccine which is not combined with swine flu, or so I am told. It costs £8 and I think they are available on one day a week. My local Asda are doing the flu jab on Fridays.

I contacted my local Asda and was told their vaccine didn't contain the swine flu but when I contacted head office I got the following response:

Please see information below regarding our Flu vaccines:

The World Health Organisation each year dictates which 3 viruses go into the flu vaccine, this year one of those viruses is H1N1 the swine flu virus.

This does not mean Fluarix confers immunity to swine flu, as there is no data on this, this position is supported by GSK, our vaccine supplier, who are not making a claim that this vaccine will confer immunity to swine flu.

This means all flu vaccines this year will contain H1N1 for swine flu, but this does not mean they will confer protection to swine flu.

C

catherinecherub

If you have decided not to have the flu jab then you might like to read this article and perhaps adapt some of the indigenous health practices to ward off the flu. These include eating steamed pears and rubbing yourself with a coin. :?: :?:
The article also includes reasons why people decide to have or not to have the flu jab.

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/ ... 101210.php

daffy1

Dislikes
garlic, pubs

Ive an appt at the Gps tomorrow for a general checkup and didnt realise i could have a flu jab. I cant get test strips and have been told to buy my own (this is being looked into,hence the appt tomorrow) Can they refuse the injection or tell me i have to pay for it?