Amount of fat

Spablauw_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all,

I've been wondering which amount of fat is considered 'high' for you and will split your bolus? For those who eat moderate/ high carb

I'm having a hard time finding what causes my 3 hours later post meal spikes. I once did a basal test and now I know it isn't my basal.
But the weird thing is that I really don't eat a lot of fat during my meal and I still have a spike 3 hours after my meal so I wonder what it could be?

Therefor I would like to know the amount of fat you consider as high / too much withassle a moderate / high carb diet.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Fat has little effect on blood sugar other than smoothing carb absorption by slowing it down and hence reducing spikes. I would worry too much about how much fat other than increasing it may reduce spikes a bit but getting the Bolus right and it's timing is more important?

Spablauw_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi. Fat has little effect on blood sugar other than smoothing carb absorption by slowing it down and hence reducing spikes. I would worry too much about how much fat other than increasing it may reduce spikes a bit but getting the Bolus right and it's timing is more important?

I know it slows down absorption but my thought is that in my case it is slowing the absorption that much that the carbs are being my digested when there's no Rapid acting insulin left..

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Protein can take some time to turn to bg. 58% turns to bg

I too get my highest rise at about 2.5 hours. For me, I prefer small snack sized meals so I just take a small bolus every 2.5 hours and eat a little. I make my lunch and split it between noonish and three. Also bf and dinner of course. Sometimes I need a small bolus an hour or so after bf to stop the morning rise.

I'm ultra low carb and need to bolus for protein so I'm not sure this applies to you.

If I eat a lot of saturated/ animal fat I go high and stay high longer albeit the rise is slower. Plant fats like olive oil, mayo, avocado, olives and a few nuts don't have near the effect as animal fats, bad oils, dairy ( cheese).
Burgers are ridiculous and always require a split bolus. Most of my proteins are lean poultry, fish, lean lamb and beef ( visible fat cut off) eggs, shrimp. Then I add a little oil or mayo and some avocado chunks. Veggies too.

So at the end of the day, I like eating small meals with small boluses more often. I continue to rise if I don't inject at least every three hours so why not have a snack??? Lol. My stomach appreciates it too.

staffsmatt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ive actually cut my protein and upped carbs and that seems to work better. I'm assuming that if you up the insulin with your meals you would go low?

Matt

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Y
Ive actually cut my protein and upped carbs and that seems to work better. I'm assuming that if you up the insulin with your meals you would go low?

Matt
yes protein can make a mess of things haha. I can't eat more than 3 oz at a time or I have to split my bolus.

It took me a long time taking enough insulin to cover a meal ( 1 unit) to figure out I always hypod first and then spiked. I was always so stuffed trying to eat enough to stay steady. Finally I decided to take 1/2 unit and split my lunch. Works so much better.

I would think by upping your carbs and lowering your protein your not delaying your carbs with the protein so the carbs come in closer to your insulins peak.

I've also figured out I need one ounce of avocado per one ounce of protein to keep steady. It seems to get everything there at the same time. Stops and peaks and dips. I know that sounds crazy but it does have some crabs but also loads of fat and fiber and it slows both insulin and any protein or carbs. Kind of like a bridge between insulin and food. I've tried just protein and fat ( not avo) and nope. I've tried just a salad with fat and no protein. Nope. I've tried it all and always need the avo. So I end up eating one a day split over all three meals.

Do you have any idea how many carbs you eat? Just curious. I'm vlc. About 20. Not 20 net as deducting fiber does nothing for me. It's all included.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Y

yes protein can make a mess of things haha. I can't eat more than 3 oz at a time or I have to split my bolus.

It took me a long time taking enough insulin to cover a meal ( 1 unit) to figure out I always hypod first and then spiked. I was always so stuffed trying to eat enough to stay steady. Finally I decided to take 1/2 unit and split my lunch. Works so much better.

I would think by upping your carbs and lowering your protein your not delaying your carbs with the protein so the carbs come in closer to your insulins peak.

I've also figured out I need one ounce of avocado per one ounce of protein to keep steady. It seems to get everything there at the same time. Stops and peaks and dips. I know that sounds crazy but it does have some crabs but also loads of fat and fiber and it slows both insulin and any protein or carbs. Kind of like a bridge between insulin and food. I've tried just protein and fat ( not avo) and nope. I've tried just a salad with fat and no protein. Nope. I've tried it all and always need the avo. So I end up eating one a day split over all three meals.

Do you have any idea how many carbs you eat? Just curious. I'm vlc. About 20. Not 20 net as deducting fiber does nothing for me. It's all included.

Matt
And how much protein WERE you eating and how much now?

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Too much fat is bad news for us T1's. I can attest to that. I won't bore you with figures and macro percentages, but will say as much as "you'll know your own requirements/limitations".

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Too much fat is bad news for us T1's. I can attest to that. I won't bore you with figures and macro percentages, but will say as much as "you'll know your own requirements/limitations".
I will bore you lol.

An avocado a day. One T mayo, one T olive oil. 1-1.5 nuts. An ounce of cheese. I don't think that's too much fat. 5 oz protein and 20 carb. I don't need lots of food or calories.

For a PRE diabetic trying to stop weight loss some additional fat or protein will most likely help. At least not hurt. Unless it's way out of range

Spablauw_

Type of diabetes
Type 1

Matt

Yes, I will go low and instead of treating my hypo with only some quick acting carbs, I take about 2 dextro tablets and insulin to prevent the spike I will have

Spablauw_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Y

Me, I take about 90g of carbs during lunch, I'm always really hungry and I feel like I really need those since I'm quite active...
My BMI is ok, around 20 so I think I can have those 90g

I think that the mistake that I make over and over is eating too much protein and fat at lunch, even a little bit too much might cause a delayed spike I think, considering that 90g of carbs at one time is quite a lot for the body to digest.

At Breakfast and dinner I eat about 50g of carbs and then I can eat more protein and fat without spiking.

I'll give it a try today to eat 50 carbs at lunch and the same amount of protein/fat and see what it does! It should be good but hey, you never know it with Diabetes .

Thanks!