how many people adjusts there night time insolin dependent on the next day?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Disloyalty, Bad Food
So i take my night time insolin every night at the same time but i dont always do the same amount.
Example is Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday i do 46 units.
Friday and saturday i do 52 units as i wont be doing alot the following day.
Sunday i do 42 units as Monday i will be busy at work.
I get told off by the hospital for doing this but my long term blood test has always been perfect and never been high or low.

i am just wondering if anyone else here does that at all and what other people think of my method?

(sorry for any/all spelling mistakes)

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Whilst I was using Levemir, I used to adjust my evening insulin after gym sessions to avoid overnight hypos, so I don't see anything wrong with doing it.

Reactions: danthediabeticman

Postleneo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can not comment on the long acting insulin you use as i am on a pump and have been advised that my basal insulin requirements will change periodically based on weather, activity etc and it is not unheard of to have separate basal profiles. I have 2 myself one for workdays and one for weekends - my weekend basal is slightly lower throughout the day as i am more active - so if your self management works for you i can not see a problem. Has your consultant given you any reasons as to why you should stop doing this if it works for you??

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Its definitely not the way I have been taught about basal adjustment but I was only on a single dose for a short time before splitting it....

so any increased activity the following day would be catered for with the day time/morning basal dose...

because you are not on split dose the only way you can deal with the additional activity of the next day is to reduce it...

the constant changing of doses may make it more difficult to evaluate it during basal tests.....but not impossible...

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Disloyalty, Bad Food
they say whatever works for you as you hb1c is great they wouldnt change it but thats not the way you should do it you should do it by correcting your day time insolin, but when i use to do there way i had spikes of high about an hour after i eat and then drop dramatically towards the end of the day. And to counter the spike after an hour of eating i would have to do an adjustment insolin does which means i would then get low blood sugar a hour after that. So me going up and down according to there methods is better then me staying steady throughout the day??? Thank you both @novorapidboi26 and @Postleneo for replying

Reactions: donnellysdogs

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
they say whatever works for you as you hb1c is great they wouldnt change it but thats not the way you should do it you should do it by correcting your day time insolin, but when i use to do there way i had spikes of high about an hour after i eat and then drop dramatically towards the end of the day. And to counter the spike after an hour of eating i would have to do an adjustment insolin does which means i would then get low blood sugar a hour after that. So me going up and down according to there methods is better then me staying steady throughout the day??? Thank you both @novorapidboi26 and @Postleneo for replying

You don't actually correct a spike after one hour.....thats purely down to timing of your insulin dose.....so you would be looking to get the dose in earlier than you had been to reduce that spike.....

But thats not really connected to your methods of adjusting your Lantus to accommodate for more/less active days.....

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It depends what basal insulin you are using really whether they are flexible enough to respond to changes in the dose. Levemir is flexible enough to do this. But with lantus you need to allow 3 days for a change in dose to settle in, and with tresiba possibly a little longer.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Disloyalty, Bad Food
True and i use levimer and novorapid (cant spell). Its just when your working flat out on a time limit you dont really have the time to start adjusting/pre doing insolin before lunch so i have to manage it else ways. (im not argueing as i completly get what your saying just not for my circomstance)

Reactions: novorapidboi26

Guzelino

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Don't play with your doses and listen to healthcare professionals...
Recently I've started using the Freestyle Libre sensors and I noticed that I've definitely been wrong about many things...
Then, I started correcting all by myself and was indeed over-correcting, just like you, I measured after 2 hours after meal and put 2 or 4 or 6 units Apidra as correction, not being aware that the Apidra (fast-acting) can last up to 4 hours (on very rare occasions, up to 5 hours). Because of this I reached a total insulin daly dose of 50-70 units. I was in constant hipo or hiper, never normal.
Afterwards, I started experimenting with my Lantus dose, I was on 16 units and since my fasting values were a bit high, I started dividing it 2 times a day with no success. I even changed tines of injection every 5 days... I was doing all sorts of experimenting but then I decided to get help form a helathcare professional. My current HbA1C result is 7.3% (my previous, 3 months ago, was 8.6%) which anyone would said is okay, but judging from the graphs and reports from the sensor - I was actually in quite bad condition, having ups and downs several times a day.
A week ago, my doctor put me on a "regime", 3 times 8u Apidra on fixed meals (9 oclock, 15 oclock and 21 oclock) with 8 bread units for each meal with 16u Lantus fixed at 19:00... we are still titrating the doses (I've been a diabetic since 2009 and on the same insulins) and thus far I am extremely satisfied with the results - only one spike per day...and my dosage have been severely reduced...
So to sum up, don't play with the doses and don't guide yourself according to the HbA1C. IMHO, 1 hour after eating is the peak and should not be taken into consideration.
Always listen to the pros ;)

emmay

Type of diabetes
Type 1
So i take my night time insolin every night at the same time but i dont always do the same amount.
I get told off by the hospital for doing this but my long term blood test has always been perfect and never been high or low.

i am just wondering if anyone else here does that at all and what other people think of my method?

I think what your doing is great and if Uve found your readings are still in target then anyone who tells you to do otherwise is crazy. I reduce my daytime dose if I run in the mornings otherwise I hypo all day. Good luck hope it continues to go well

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I totally agree with changing doses. A lot of ppeople need to.. especially for times like weekends and holidays.
I did it for levemir. I had a separate basal rate on pump for weekends, pm shifts and late shifts-swopping over the night before.
I'm on tresiba now and find its inflexibility for channing for days when I'm doing different levels of activity very frustrating...

Trebor2516

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am using Novamix 30, I adjust my dose depending on my test result, but only by a couple of units either way. I used to take 60units morning and evening, but after doing the 8 week blood sugar diet I am on 25 units AM and PM.

Guzelino

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I think that all depends on the type of insulin...in my eperience, changing the Lantus have not wokred for me in regards to physical activity, but if I know that I'll be more active, I change the Apidra (fast-acting) doses...
I have a friend who uses Levimir and Novorapid and he says that whereas Lantus is 100%-slow acting (the peak is usually 6 hours after injecting) the Levimir is 70%-slow and 30%-fast (don't ask me how has he determined this)...Perhaps there's a reasoning as to why changing the "basal" doses works for you... but I am completely sure that the HbA1C should not be taken for granted...
After all, everyone is different, and what works for me, might not work for others, and vice-versa (as my granny used to say, the best doctor for you is actually yourself) :)

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Levemir and Lantus have no fast acting insulin in them....and they are almost flat in profile....peaks cans be seen of course.....

DAFNE gives us two approaches to dose adjustment when activity is involved.....

Lantus/Levemir or other when you are doing light to moderate activity over a long period (hill walking) and Novorapid/Novolog or other when the activity is short and intense...

Both can be used together as well....

This fits in with the behaviour of the insulin which makes sense...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

Hi, I personally don't adjust my Levemir for next day activities, I only adjust if I am in the 4's/5's and then I would take 1 or 2 units less ( I normally take 10, so it could go down to 8 units) So busy or relaxing, I adjust my Novorapid on the day.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Disloyalty, Bad Food
Don't play with your doses and listen to healthcare professionals...
Recently I've started using the Freestyle Libre sensors and I noticed that I've definitely been wrong about many things...
Then, I started correcting all by myself and was indeed over-correcting, just like you, I measured after 2 hours after meal and put 2 or 4 or 6 units Apidra as correction, not being aware that the Apidra (fast-acting) can last up to 4 hours (on very rare occasions, up to 5 hours). Because of this I reached a total insulin daly dose of 50-70 units. I was in constant hipo or hiper, never normal.
Afterwards, I started experimenting with my Lantus dose, I was on 16 units and since my fasting values were a bit high, I started dividing it 2 times a day with no success. I even changed tines of injection every 5 days... I was doing all sorts of experimenting but then I decided to get help form a helathcare professional. My current HbA1C result is 7.3% (my previous, 3 months ago, was 8.6%) which anyone would said is okay, but judging from the graphs and reports from the sensor - I was actually in quite bad condition, having ups and downs several times a day.
A week ago, my doctor put me on a "regime", 3 times 8u Apidra on fixed meals (9 oclock, 15 oclock and 21 oclock) with 8 bread units for each meal with 16u Lantus fixed at 19:00... we are still titrating the doses (I've been a diabetic since 2009 and on the same insulins) and thus far I am extremely satisfied with the results - only one spike per day...and my dosage have been severely reduced...
So to sum up, don't play with the doses and don't guide yourself according to the HbA1C. IMHO, 1 hour after eating is the peak and should not be taken into consideration.
Always listen to the pros ;)
hey, thank you for the essay lol. I find i dont yo-yo if i adjust my levimer and as for you hba1c mine 5 years ago was 7.8%, 4 years ago 6.9%, 3 years ago 6.7%, 2 years ago 6.4%, last year 6.3% and this year 6.3%. I am happy with my methods with plenty of blood sugar readings to back it up. I get what you say and i think you mis-read what i put, i spike when i go with how the doctors want me to do it and my methods dont see me spike at all and the lowest i have been this year is 3.9 and the highest (when i havnt been ill) was 12.2.