"... and avoid saturated fat". Advice for all ailments.

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anyone else get annoyed by just how freely the advice "... and avoid saturated fat" can be offered by any person, in any publication, in advice to any ailment, without ever requiring a shred of evidence? It's just something that is so deeply assumed to be true that it is simply never questioned.

This is something that I've been vaguely aware of for a while, but only recently have started trying to verify some of the claims. Often I can find no evidence to support it, or even strong evidence to the contrary, but still the advice is given freely and always without question. Grrr.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Yup. The fear of fat. One of the reasons why real butter is so much cheaper than it used to be. Blame Ancel Keys and the generations of experts that followed his decidedly questionable findings.

Reactions: dbr10 and ziggy_w

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Yup. The fear of fat. One of the reasons why real butter is so much cheaper than it used to be. Blame Ancel Keys and the generations of experts that followed his decidedly questionable findings.
Yeah, it is turning around to some extent now, particularly in relation to butter and full fat dairy products. Recent studies have identified some negative health outcomes associated with low fat dairy products (but not with full fat), and more and more people are starting to realize that they've been conned. Here in Australia the price of butter has soared (after being extremely cheap for many years as you say) from about 80c up to about $2.40 for the same per 250g pack! That's a 3x increase over just a few years. So people must be waking up to it.

Apparently the rise in butter prices isn't solely due to increase demand for butter per se (though that has increased), but more so due to the demand for other full fat dairy, and decline in low fat and skimmed products, which has greatly reduced the opportunity for processors to get hold of the required dairy fat.

But still the advice "... and avoid saturated fat" never wavers.

Reactions: dbr10 and Guzzler

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Yeah, it is turning around to some extent now, particularly in relation to butter and full fat dairy products. Recent studies have identified some negative health outcomes associated with low fat dairy products (but not with full fat), and more and more people are starting to realize that they've been conned. Here in Australia the price of butter has soared (after being extremely cheap for many years as you say) from about 80c up to about $2.40 for the same per 250g pack! That's a 3x increase over just a few years. So people must be waking up to it.

Apparently the rise in butter prices isn't solely due to increase demand for butter per se (though that has increased), but more so due to the demand for other full fat dairy, and decline in low fat and skimmed products, which has greatly reduced the opportunity for processors to get hold of the required dairy fat.

But still the advice "... and avoid saturated fat" never wavers.

I think it will take a generation, maybe two generations to change peoples attitude toward sat fat. As you say, the tide is turning against processed oils and margarines.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Coincidentally, it's belly pork in ginger for evening meal. The leaner cuts of pork just don't work in my recipe for it.

Reactions: jazzsaxcat

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Coincidentally, it's belly pork in ginger for evening meal. The leaner cuts of pork just don't work in my recipe for it.

Ain't that just the best cut of any meat? I dream of a single fork full containing, meat, fat and crackling all in one delicious mouthful. I'm salivating already just thinking about it.

Reactions: Guzzler