Disappointing trip to practice nurse

maureen5752

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Glic is not a good idea long term because it forces the pancreas to increase insulin output, which stresses it and may lead to burnout (not proven). I had regular hypo's while I was on the high doses, but unlike an insulin hypo, the ones from Glic are much more gentle and in a way predictable, so I was able to counteract them easily without needing help. I was not worried by them once I understood their characteristics and I was hypo aware so it was not a problem. I did up the carb input at bedtime to make sure I woke in the morning if my night reading was less than 5. I don't get them now
Hi. Won't go into detail take to long, I'd been unwell for ages, I mean ages, all symptoms were there for diabetes, FINALY I was diagnosed, but my bgs were 23.4!!! I was ill on plane & airport & had thrush for 3 months & other symptoms, was put on metformin & glic, after 3 months got bgs down & my hbc1a was 7.4. My tryclicerite down to from 1.9 to 0.9. Cholestrol down from 8.8 to 3.3, now my cholestrol has gone up to 5 cos I'm eating more fat which surgery isn't happy about & suggested 80mg Of statin, no thanks I'm on 40mg & will not increase, I'll get it down by diet, but I take 1x500 metformin in morning & one at night & Ix40mg glic in morning & half at night so it's not a great deal of meds, tho none would be better. My last 3 hbc1a have been 5.8 & one 5.9. Which is 40ml or 41ml I believe, if hypo is coming I've learnt the signs, so do you think glic can cause damage to pancreas? Interested in your view you seem more educated in this, I don't get any explanations from my doctor thanks

Reactions: Butterfly1960

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
for many of us in the UK, changing practice, or doctor, is impossible : (
Yes, so sorry about your fix. Let's hope that nurse gets a job elsewhere, or better, gets pregnant and decides to be a stay at home mum. Maybe she'd be good at that!

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am a mere user, not an expert. As a T2D I have insulin Resistance (IR) and so in order to shift glucose out of my blood stream I need to boost the insulin to compensate. Now Glic does that but its a bit like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut. There is no proof that overstimulation of the pancreas actually does damage to it, but it has to be a possibility. The pancreas is known to suffer burnout with prolonged diabetes, which means that when they talk of D being a progressive disease, then all roads lead to injecting insulin as the last resort before the terminus. However. we on this site that use a low carb diet have new hope that we can avoid this through lifestyle changes only, and certainly it seems that many of us, myself included, have managed to significantly reduce and even stop medication.

I cannot say that staying on Glic or any other sulphanurea med will make this disease progress or not, and there are other alternatives such as bariatric surgery to consider, but I for one will continue with my LC diet and at least buy time before checkout time.

maureen5752

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am a mere user, not an expert. As a T2D I have insulin Resistance (IR) and so in order to shift glucose out of my blood stream I need to boost the insulin to compensate. Now Glic does that but its a bit like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut. There is no proof that overstimulation of the pancreas actually does damage to it, but it has to be a possibility. The pancreas is known to suffer burnout with prolonged diabetes, which means that when they talk of D being a progressive disease, then all roads lead to injecting insulin as the last resort before the terminus. However. we on this site that use a low carb diet have new hope that we can avoid this through lifestyle changes only, and certainly it seems that many of us, myself included, have managed to significantly reduce and even stop medication.

I cannot say that staying on Glic or any other sulphanurea med will make this disease progress or not, and there are other alternatives such as bariatric surgery to consider, but I for one will continue with my LC diet and at least buy time before checkout time.
Hi thanks very interesting, I've been on meds for just over 2 years now, & cut carbs down the past year, still have carbs but try to keep low as much as possible, I have slipped up & been naughty couple times recently but back on track. I'm 5ft 3ins & was 65kilos when diagnosed but now im 57kilos. When my bgs were high they suggested insulin but I then understood it's the last resort so didn't want, I've learnt more on this forum than from my go, my only difficulty is I'm dissabled in my legs so exercise isn't easy but ive got a stationary bike. I do believe carbs are not good for us, anyway thanks again, hopefully one day I may get of meds, wish you all a good healthy day

Butterfly1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good to hear that some practices are supportive like yours and mine. Can I suggest that you find an App that shows graphs over time (I use a spreadsheet and do mine manually) so that you can give graphic pictures that show how you have progressed. The GP has limited time to absorb your input, so it is best to take some effort to simplify the data, and graphs or charts are easier to understand rather than trawling through a load of numbers. If you can use your data to suggest medication changes needed as you progress, then that is extra bonus points and a NICE goal to get to.

I log food, meds dose and timing, weight and bgl readings along with things like HbA1c, formal test results. etc. I used to colour code my hypo events too so it was clear when I was needing a meds change. My spreadsheet works out averages and trends easily, and this helps to condense the info I present, again to save GP time. I also send him a letter with the results in advance of our meeting, so we spend our time discussing the way forward rather than getting bogged down in a presentation of results in detail. I enclose an example showing an Xmas and an Easter and how I recovered from these binges,
My goodness! How organised! and I thought I was an organised person! :bookworm::writer:
I keep a hand written diary where I log everything you mentioned above, but hadn't thought as far as graphs or charts :)
I must admit that I'm stretching my abilities with apps and new tech stuff :wideyed:o_O but I know my Dad would love to write a program for me to do all you've suggested and, knowing him, probably go even further! :oldman::cool::watching:
when I told him I was counting carbs, he suggested that he could write a program for my laptop so I wouldn't have to hand write it all in a journal/diary. I declined his offer, but I might mention it to him soon. He's had a chest infection recently, but he is on the mend now (78 years young!!) :cat:
Thanks again, and I'll let you know when I have something running, for my NICE goal! :happy:

Butterfly1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
for many of us in the UK, changing practice, or doctor, is impossible : (
I'd say it's really made very difficult but not impossible to change dr.... I've done it twice before moving to west wales. ths current surgery is the best I've ever had whilst needing medical attention :nurse::doctor::angelic:
by the way @serenity648 , that's a beautiful avatar! Is it a mandala? :cat::cool:

S

serenity648

my picture
I'd say it's really made very difficult but not impossible to change dr.... I've done it twice before moving to west wales. ths current surgery is the best I've ever had whilst needing medical attention :nurse::doctor::angelic:
by the way @serenity648 , that's a beautiful avatar! Is it a mandala? :cat::cool:
is of a kaleidoscope silk painting i did. I have no other surgery within 16 miles of me, no public transport to the other surgery, and I cant drive. So, for me, its impossible.

david1241

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
doctors and dentists.I would not be rude to any.Also i don't like being taken for granted.
I don't bother with the doctors and nurses at our malpractice.I haven't seen a doctor or nurse for over 2 years.The doctors i've seen are bloody useless .The nurses i have seen are stroppy and dictatorial.The problem for me is i'm over 65 retired .I used to get good treatment on the NHS but since retiring The treatment or lack of it has gone right down the pan.An insight into my treatment at retirement .,was just before i retired something snapped in my left hip rendering me to have to use a--walking stick.I limped badly into the doctor's surgery.The first thing .he said was i think you have some wear and tear in your hip.Then he said I won't send you for a x-ray ,i want to keep you away from the surgeons. thats how it's been there since i retired in 2010 i had the 6 monthly routine blood pressure chcck and blood test 2 years ago. i was summond to see the doctor.she said My blood sugar was high I said i'll get some strips for my GC meter.She you've no need to test your blood you are only a type 2 diabetic.I said how will know what foods to eat to keep my blood sugar down.So stoppily she said oh well i can't prescribe test strips' i said i'll buy them myself.She also insisted i should take statins. which i've always refused.So she got nasty.so i said i'll sort it out myself.and walked out of the surgery never to return.i'd had diabetes for 6 years without them telling me about it.you may be thinking how did he know about it. well i was in the Philippines,I had an accident and injured my left knee .I had to have an operation to repair it.After the doctor had done his examination.He said do you know you have diabetes.Shock Horror!I said no ,I feel fine. He said yes you've had it for 6 months.I recently had a routine blood test in the UK.I rang my surgery and asked them about the results of my blood test the woman on the phone said my tests were normal nothing to worry about.The surgical wound healed ok .I felt fine ,so i forgot about the diabetes.While in hospital in Cagayan de Oro..They gave me diabetic drugs and pumped me full of insulin.I had visions of coming out in a bodybag .Six months ago I developed weeping none healing ulcers on legs below the knees.My feet were totally numb.I went on a 24 hour alternate fasting diet.in which I lost 3st in weight .I reduced my blood glucose fasting reading from between 10.8mml and 16 mml.To between 3.7 mml and 5.8mml..I can eat what i like without any ill effects .I am totallyfree of diabetes.My blood sugar is normal.To say i am chuffed about it is an understatment.The feeling in my feet has returned.And all the other complications have cleared up.I recommend trying the fasting diet to lose weight.and with luck your diabetes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Prem51

Butterfly1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't bother with the doctors and nurses at our malpractice.I haven't seen a doctor or nurse for over 2 years.The doctors i've seen are bloody useless .The nurses i have seen are stroppy and dictatorial.The problem for me is i'm over 65 retired .I used to get good treatment on the NHS but since retiring The treatment or lack of it has gone right down the pan.An insight into my treatment at retirement .,was just before i retired something snapped in my left hip rendering me to have to use a--walking stick.I limped badly into the doctor's surgery.The first thing .he said was i think you have some wear and tear in your hip.Then he said I won't send you for a x-ray ,i want to keep you away from the surgeons. thats how it's been there since i retired in 2010 i had the 6 monthly routine blood pressure chcck and blood test 2 years ago. i was summond to see the doctor.she said My blood sugar was high I said i'll get some strips for my GC meter.She you've no need to test your blood you are only a type 2 diabetic.I said how will know what foods to eat to keep my blood sugar down.So stoppily she said oh well i can't prescribe test strips' i said i'll buy them myself.She also insisted i should take statins. which i've always refused.So she got nasty.so i said i'll sort it out myself.and walked out of the surgery never to return.i'd had diabetes for 6 years without them telling me about it.you may be thinking how did he know about it. well i was in the Philippines,I had an accident and injured my left knee .I had to have an operation to repair it.After the doctor had done his examination.He said do you know you have diabetes.Shock Horror!I said no ,I feel fine. He said yes you've had it for 6 months.I recently had a routine blood test in the UK.I rang my surgery and asked them about the results of my blood test the woman on the phone said my tests were normal nothing to worry about.The surgical wound healed ok .I felt fine ,so i forgot about the diabetes.While in hospital in Cagayan de Oro..They gave me diabetic drugs and pumped me full of insulin.I had visions of coming out in a bodybag .Six months ago I developed weeping none healing ulcers on legs below the knees.My feet were totally numb.I went on a 24 hour alternate fasting diet.in which I lost 3st in weight .I reduced my blood glucose fasting reading from between 10.8mml and 16 mml.To between 3.7 mml and 5.8mml..I can eat what i like without any ill effects .I am totallyfree of diabetes.My blood sugar is normal.To say i am chuffed about it is an understatment.The feeling in my feet has returned.And all the other complications have cleared up.I recommend trying the fasting diet to lose weight.and with luck your diabetes.
Good grief! :eek::banghead: the difference between practices Or as you put it 'malpractices'! :mad:
I've been so lucky with my local surgery, been there since we moved to the area 5 years ago :cat:
Our GP retired 2 years ago, and was sorry to see him leave... and we were worried about what would happen at the practice :nailbiting::nurse::doctor:but we've only had locums and the regular nurses since. Everything has been good. My DN is also diabetic... and although she can't deviate much from NHS or NICE guidelines, thru friendly chats she has offered invaluable advice :nurse::angelic::) Lucky for you that you had the treatment abroad!! ;):)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Butterfly1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Butterfly1960 - Apologies for being delayed arriving at your posts, but you might find either of the following links, from @andcol's signature to make interesting reading if you're interested in expanded data collection and feedback.

Blood Glucose Application
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/writing-bg-management-app.56644/
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B-z_UPs-Jl8aMTNrd0pMemd6Q2c&usp=sharing

Good luck with it all.
Wow! Thanks! Will show this to my Dad too.... He'll find it useful for the program he's working on for me!