Diabetes Management

rabecca

Type of diabetes
Type 1
hi. im new to this forum. i have been diagnosed as type 1 patient since 2 years. I dont know how to control diabetes. Can anyone help??

Lordy100

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not many things
What are the problems you are experiencing? There is lots of really useful advice on this forum, a quick search will bring up a lot of answers. The site provides a huge amount of support if you provide a bit more information.

rabecca

Type of diabetes
Type 1
im depressed all the time. i become kind of numb or i dont know an appropriate word for this condition. my hands n feet becomes numb. n i have become short tempered.

rabecca

Type of diabetes
Type 1
thanx n i have no idea about diabetes courses at all. i was afraid of everything abt diabetes. Basically, in the year 2012, i was diagnosed as a pancreatic patient. had pancreatitis. i was hospitalized for almost3 months n had to go through 4 time E.R.C.P than had an operation because my food vein or duck ( whatever it is called) was blocked. E.R.C.P was unsuccessful thats y i had an operation. The dr, kind of washed my blocked duck/ vein which was blocked. But the operation wasn't successful because they didnt remove or changed the vein. they just washed that out.

Than, Dr told me that i will become a diabetic patient. n i had to follow a proper diet after operation

rabecca

Type of diabetes
Type 1
which I didnt. I just love chocolates n sweets but i kind of tried to control it. but somehow, it occured. on july 2015, i was diagnosed as a diabetic patient.

My sugar was high. around 470. Dr toldme that insulin was the only way to cure.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You don't have type 1 diabetes. Type 1 is not caused by pancreatitis. You have type 3c diabetes, which I understand has some slightly different considerations to management than type 1, you might find it useful to check out the type 3c section of the forum - http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/type-3c-pancreatic-diabetes.73/

However, broadly, type 1 and type 3c are managed very similarly (although someone with type 3c is going to have to be more careful to avoid hypos as they wont have alpha cell function and will likely have to avoid a high fat diet due to creon) with a basal bolus regime. This would be where you take a background insulin and when you eat you take insulin to cover your food, adjusting the dose according to what you are eating -ie carb counting. Most diabetic courses are in carb counting, the main one being called DAFNE (dose adjustment for normal eating).

You seem to be on a mixed insulin regime if you are only on two shots a day? Is your insulin called novamix? With mixed insulin fixed doses that insulin will only be able to deal with a certain quantity of carbs. So you still need to count carbs with mixed insulin to make sure you are taking in the right amount of carbs. Have you had advice from your medical team on how many carbs your insulin dose is designed to cover?

High blood sugar can contribute to depression and cause low mood.

High blood sugar can also cause neuropathy.

What do your blood sugars look like when you test? Are you testing?

Diabetes is a vascular disease, high blood sugar makes the blood thicker and so this damages veins when thick blood tries to force its way through tiny delicate veins. Smoking has an adverse impact on the vascular system, narrowing veins. You have clearly already had problems with blocked veins. Well done on trying to quit smoking to hell avoid more problems.

Last edited:

rabecca

Type of diabetes
Type 1
First of all, Thanks alot Catterpiller for informing me about type3. I didnt know that Im T3 .
I take 2 shots a day before breakfast n before dinner. yes, its Novomix 30penflex. i take 22 or 24 units at morning and after 5 minutes I eat bread or rusks wid milk or paratha with tea. As im always in a hurry to reach my office, Thats y i dont eat properly in the morning. I eat biscuits or ruit bun in the office too. and at lunch i eat pakistani food or fast food. My routine is tough n i dont take insulin with me. that's y i take insulin when i get back to home n just eat food n sleep. this is the main BAD habit of mine which im trying to change. actually im always too tired so i just take insulin n dinner n just sleep. Smoking is another habit which im trying to get rid off.
I smoke 5 to 7 cig or 3 cig a day n sometimes smokes more. this is the routine of mine since 2 years.
I check my sugar levels once in a blue moon. now they happens around 300. (which is less than the prevoius ones, when i used to check sugar levels often n they were around 450, 355 etc) .

I just dont know how to fix these things. I feel like im stuck n depressed all the time.

Sent from my SM-J700H using DCUK Forum mobile app

rabecca

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I live in Pakistan and unfortunately, there are no teams here to guide my type of diabetes patients. Infact, Nobody knows that I have T1 or T3 diabetes except my family.
Thats y i feel isolated and depressed almost all the time. N have become short tempered too.

Sent from my SM-J700H using DCUK Forum mobile app

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I see you are having a truckload of carbohydrate foods. Basically, I have noted that if I am having a paratha, it has to be be a methi paratha with high fat, or spread it with butter and if I have a normal wheat one it spikes my blood sugar like the worst carbs. Methi, fenugreek (seed) andblack seed (nigella) and its oil lower blood sugars and okra is pretty good as are almost all vegetables but go easy on anything made with rice. Skip the rice for breakfast any kind, cheese is ok, meat is ok, even fatty meat.

You have to get back to testing because you need to know yur food enemies. Try having vegetable omelettes and fried eggs and boiled eggs for breakfast and no grains or breads at all. No porridge. No idli and skip the lentils and root vegetables. Broths are great, especially that you make yourself. Bitter melon is good for diabetics. Poddling radishes, spinach, actually a lot of Pakistani foods

Nuts and seeds are your friends.

You can take a low carb course online right here

The OP is on a fixed dose mixed insulin regime. Reducing carbs without understanding how many carbs their mixed insulin is dealing with will put them at hypo risk.