Cornflakes

Jen74

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know cornflakes quite high carbohydrate but i hadnt had anything elsto eat, so had a bowl and went for a sleep as nightshift tonight, got up feeling very sick, so checked bm 21.1 highest ive ever been, surely one bowl of cornflakes shouldnt do this

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know cornflakes quite high carbohydrate but i hadnt had anything elsto eat, so had a bowl and went for a sleep as nightshift tonight, got up feeling very sick, so checked bm 21.1 highest ive ever been, surely one bowl of cornflakes shouldnt do this
45g have 38 carbs + milk. Check the carb content on the back of the box.

Reactions: Guzzler

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It does seem improbably high just for cornflakes though: I suppose the first questions that come to mind are
how long between eating the cornflakes and taking your reading?
how much did you eat?
what else had you eaten that day?
and
what would your normal readings look like?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It does seem improbably high just for cornflakes though: I suppose the first questions that come to mind are
how much did you eat?
and

and I would add to that list, what were you before you started to eat the cornflakes?

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
With the milk that could have been 45g of carbs maybe more.
That equates to about 15mmol of BG roughly. So with no insulin response and a start of 6mmol it is possible to go that high.
And if you had a good slug of mile, a cup of tea, a full bowl and a FBG of 7 I see no reason why it couldn't have gone that high if unlikely. Did you do multiple tests from multiple fingers to ensure you didn't have anything contaminating it?

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Being sick from a virus/bacteria can result in elevated blood glucose.

Reactions: Jen74

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I remember a similar event in my life about 15 years ago and I haven;t had any cereal since that time - I had waken up and my BGs were low - 3.3, had a bowl of unsweetened Rice Krispies, decided to do a 5 KM power walk after the bowl of cereal before testing and deciding how much insulin I should give and when I got back from my walk my BGs were in the 20s. If our examples are typical imagine how much insulin the pancreas must produce everytime a non diabetic has a bowl of cereal - crazy! Not the healthiest of food choices eh!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I keep a small wok, olive oil and eggs on a shelf near the cooker, for a quick something to eat I just scramble three eggs, adding in a tablespoon of chopped seeds for the fibre, when done I put a plate on top then on the way out grate some cheese over the egg and mix it in, then slice a tomato and add it on top - by the time I get to the table and sit down the tomato has warmed through and I just tip everything onto the plate and eat. It might take a minute longer than tipping out a cereal, but it is well worth it.

Reactions: jyn972

Jen74

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
With the milk that could have been 45g of carbs maybe more.
That equates to about 15mmol of BG roughly. So with no insulin response and a start of 6mmol it is possible to go that high.
And if you had a good slug of mile, a cup of tea, a full bowl and a FBG of 7 I see no reason why it couldn't have gone that high if unlikely. Did you do multiple tests from multiple fingers to ensure you didn't have anything contaminating it?
Ye got same reading within 1mmol

Jen74

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
how much did you eat?
and
I hadnt eaten anything else and that reading was believe it or not 4hrs aftr eating them i felt sick when i woke so checked n got that reading it makes no sense

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You fell asleep on a full stomach. This is not recommended even for non diabetics, It slows the metabolism while you sleep, and your body uses the time to use proteins to repair the body cells rather than convert carbs. So your initial insulin rush from eating (first phase response) will peeter out with nothing to work on, your body will feel cheated since no glucose came through so your liver has a dump to compensate, then has another dump as your body prepares to wake up (dawn phenomena). Then you wake up, and start digesting carbs again, but this time there is no insulin response, so the [liver dump + dawn dump+new glucose] add together in a perfect storm.

david1241

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
doctors and dentists.I would not be rude to any.Also i don't like being taken for granted.
Hello,I am not struck on cornflakes .I'd rather eat the box there's more flavor in it.

JoCo

Cornflakes, yes nice I like em, but I had high bm afterwards too. Even with a dose it was high. Defo need to time it right.Very peaky carbs. Glucose usually rises on waking due to the cortisol affect too. So a double whammy in your case. If I need to eat late, I have a dose and set an alarm for a 3 hours snack. I don't eat my daily bowl of cereal without a v big dose.

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance

While I agree that having a bug could cause a spike like this..as could stress..or ill-health..or a few other things...I actually don't think 21mmols is a ridiculously surprising reading four hours or so after a large bowl of cornflakes if your level pre-meal wasn't particularly good. They are cornflakes ! 84g of carbohydrate per 100g (and at least 10g of that is pure sugar). I sometimes, through madness, convenience and greed, have a small bowl of bran flakes (possibly the cereal with the lowest carb count) IF my blood sugar is below 5.2 mmols or so and just about get away with it in my deluded mind...but that is much to do with having fought very hard over a couple of years to get my levels down to the relatively normal range; if I had eaten a bowl of cornflakes when first diagnosed at around 21mmols...who knows how high my level would have been. Cornflakes are an absolute no-no for me.

Anthony1738

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Boom Boom Club Music (cant see the point its not Music) Moto GP and Manchester United
Yep, cornflakes or any other cereal for that matter have no place in a T2s diet, I am a low carb nutter, but I have two small packs of cornflakes for anyone who wants them, just pm me your address ill post em

Jen74

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Being sick from a virus/bacteria can result in elevated blood glucose.
I do have an infection at present so guess that prob made it worse all my readings are higher than normal the now

Banting_Coach

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Sugars, Carbs, wrong information about foods
Hello,I am not struck on cornflakes .I'd rather eat the box there's more flavor in it.
Agreed! With the high sugar/carb content contained in those products, you are indeed better off eating only the box! Keep in mind that the lactose in the milk that you add, also hides sugar/carbs in it. Many people, especially females, are lactose intolerant. Rather eat something else, like boiled eggs with a LCHF mayonnaise, Macadamia nuts to up your fat intake!

lowedb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast cereals are a disaster for me. So they are on my don't touch list! That's after testing with my meter, not just a theory.