Rice substitute?

KathrynB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I love rice but am trying to find a low carb alternative. Any ideas? I'm a lazy cook and saw microwave cauliflower rice on special offer but I wasn't keen as I detected a bitter taste.
Apologies if this has already been discussed and I've missed it

Reactions: geeraft

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
You could try Naked rice.

I tried Naked noodles which I found was an acceptable alternative so tried the Naked rice. I found it disgusting, tbh. And it is not cheap.
Have you tried the cook n cool method and then tested to see if the spikes are lower? I experimented and found that using this method I could have a very small portion of basmati rice without too much of a spike. Best of luck.

KathrynB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I haven't tried the naked rice so I'll have a go. I don't think I have heard of the cook and cool method but it sounds very interesting. Incidentally I love courgette "pasta". Thanks for your quick reply.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I make my own cauliflower rice.. grate it and then bake it in the over with added spices if you like.. should be much nicer than microwaved pre-prepared.

Rianne

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You could try Naked rice.

I tried Naked noodles which I found was an acceptable alternative so tried the Naked rice. I found it disgusting, tbh. And it is not cheap.
Have you tried the cook n cool method and then tested to see if the spikes are lower? I experimented and found that using this method I could have a very small portion of basmati rice without too much of a spike. Best of luck.

Hi Guzzler,
Can you explain what Naked noodles are? Is it the kind that is made of the konjac root? I'v been considering trying it but have not done so yet.
Thnx!
Rianne

Reactions: Guzzler

jackois

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'll give a vote to home made cauliflower rice... 600 grams blitzed in the food processor and then either fried with in a drop of sesame oil or microwaved for 2 minutes in a vented container. I did try the ready made and thought the same as you.

KathrynB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Jackois thank you that's great. I love the taste of cauliflower so I will certainly try that

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I'll third cauli rice cooked in a pan with butter and mixed with creme frais.

Reactions: TIANDB

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Aye, Bare Naked rice is made using Konjac flour.

Edit.
P.S. I do not like cauliflower rice either but I love cauliflower steamed or smothered in cheese.

KathrynB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
you already love cabbage and Cauliflower so you will just fine adapting to low carb.
I already do low carb and it's been great for my bs but I miss rice! I love bread and am fine with M&S super seeded (just 1 small slice). Don't miss potatoes at all!

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I like cauliflower rice with drier stuff but if I'm having a curry or something with a bit more sauce I find the cauli rice gets lost in the sauce and everything becomes a bit samey so I like to to use frozen green beans on these occasions as they stay separate from the sauce better. Also use shredded cabbage and spiralized veggies.

The konjac noodles and rice give me a really bad stomach and bung me up something terrible irritating my diverticulitis so I avoid them

Hotpepper20000

I already do low carb and it's been great for my bs but I miss rice! I love bread and am fine with M&S super seeded (just 1 small slice). Don't miss potatoes at all!
I know what you mean. I can make pasta and bread for Mr Hotpepper and leave it but I don't make rice anymore because I can't resist and Risotto is my weakness!!

xtessa1x

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Try making it yourself from fresh cauliflower and had nuts peppers etc to make a low-carb version it will make it a lot tasty and a lot more palatable

Reactions: nounou74

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@KathrynB I microwave 500g frozen cauliflower for 10 minutes, then whizz it in a mini food processor with salt and pepper. I have it with chilli, curry or stir fry. I LOVE it.

I use Essential Waitrose frozen cauli, which is 3g CHO per 100g. One serving of my 'rice' (500g makes enough for two of us) is 7.5g CHO.

I've tried commercial cauliflower rice once. Snapsy eats ANYTHING, but drew the line at that stuff....................... Not keen on grated raw cauli as rice, either. Which is weird, given that I generally crave brassicas, particularly raw! Ate a LOAD of raw cabbage earlier while making a batch of sauerkraut. ;)

Had some of my cauliflower rice tonight for my tea, with curry. Scrum diddly um.

:)

FloraDora

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think cauliflower rice is an acquired taste, it gets better over time. I usually make my own, but if I am feeling lazy I buy tubs of pre-blitz cauliflower from Aldi. I find fried onion stirred in before putting in the over for 10 mins or so adds flavour and texture.

I also mash cauliflower and celeriac together, add some yoghurt, seasoning etc. If you want to add more texture to it you can stirr in sauted leeks, or boiled cabbage, kale etc. One cauli and one celeriac make a good tub full and it will keep in the fridge for a few days. Bangers and mash one day, shepherds pie the next, hash browns if you are feeling decadent!

JenniferG

Fry the riced cauliflower (Freshly made in food processor) on HIGH heat with 1 tbsp of olive oil until dry and browned a bit. Yummmmm

17404d1505935821-low-carbers-what-did-you-eat-dsc_1879-jpg