Footwear - what do you prefer?

Noddy123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have found that Reiker shoes are good for me. Comfy just like putting on a pair of slippers all the time.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
For sensible footwear I like my Nike trainers or my Caterpillar boots - both great for walking.

But I'm slightly ashamed to admit I also wear heels, open-toed sandals, wedges and platforms. I've never had any problems with my feet and I always check them. Whatever shoe I buy, I won't get it if it's not comfortable or is rubbing at all.

My favourite shoes are my platforms. I find them very comfortable and I appreciate the height boost!.

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
I
I have found that Reiker shoes are good for me. Comfy just like putting on a pair of slippers all the time.
Love Reiker shoes, at the end of last winter I bought a lovely comfy brown pair for £16.99 reduced from £80 in the sale where I always buy my shoes. A second best is Hotter. Then Sketchers

Reactions: Sable_Jan

Amethyst8

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
As a long term diabetic, I always remember the dire warnings given at diagnosis about wearing the wrong shoes, the damage it could do to your feet, taking care of your feet, etc. And of course, make sure you wear the right shoes....

As someone with a slight anatomical anomaly in both feet that causes me to apply pressure oddly on the balls of my feet and which has resulted in a corn on my left foot, I'm always on the lookout for comfortable footwear that relieves the pressure a little.

I recently rediscovered DR Martens after 20 years and had forgotten how good the soles are. So comfortable! My question is what do you do about footwear? What's your shoe of ch

Cosyfeet extra roomy footwear, socks, & hosiery visit www.Cosyfeet.com Tel no:01458 447275, claim VAT Relief, for men & women. This Company is in UK. visit the shop. Free Returns. Monday to Friday 8.30am to 5.30pm,Saturday 9am to 1pm.
I like these shoes due to their rfit.

Amethyst8

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I know, but that is the only type of shoe I find comfortable. I have always said, if I won the lottery I would have shoes made for me.
Go to Cosyfeet.VAT Relief. www.Cosyfeet.com Tel no: 01458 447275 opens 8.30-5.30 (Monday to Friday) Saturday 9am to 1pm Moneyback guarantee & Free UK Returns.

vintageutopia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have large feet (women's size 11), such is my lot in life. And since I was a tot, comfortable shoes always took preference over style.

Clarks always fit my feet comfortably, so I consistently reach for them when needing a new pair.

Other favorites are:
Keen sandals (oh, how I love these...let me count the ways)
Skechers slip ons (very light, stretchy...like a pair of slippers, but more protective)
Danskos (I have a few of these for work and they just don't break down and I can wear them all day)
Rose petal flats (prettier shoes, but have a nicer arch support)

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I an not sure how this is going to all play out with being diagnosed type II.
As long as you do what you can to get blood glucose levels into the good zone and follow the guidance about checking your feet once per day, you should find that you can keep them in a reasonable condition. Given your lack of sensation, it will be important to do that daily check.

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I wear a brand called Greyder. You can take out the innersoles and insert orthotics. I only ever wear flat shoes, mostly what Americans call Mary Jane's. I like moccasins too. My main problem is that my skin is soft on my feet, so new shoes often mean blisters as I wear them in.

vintageutopia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Clarks are my go-to brand of shoe. I need to wear dress shoes for work and they offer attractive, comfortable options. I'm on my feet a good deal, so comfort is a must.

At home, it's Skechers or boots on the winter.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ive been in Dr martin boots (Chelsea yoofs size!!) for nearly a year. I love them soooo much I wear them every day for work and out. I'm making a special trip to the outlet shop in a few weeks as they need replacing as the insides are knackered :( booo

Reactions: ickihun

Gannet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Showbiz
Eccos were always my favourites until I discovered Padders. Wide fitting, with shaped insoles. Insoles are removable for orthotics. I wear classic lace-ups or velcros. I've come to the conclusion that sandals are not for me.
I'm also very fussy about socks - no toe seam. Pringle or Elle (from TK Max) are good. Even widely distributed soft top socks meant for diabetics have a toe seam that can rub.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I can't wear heels any more :( I seem to have lost that ability somewhere in my mid 40s.

I prefer wearing flat leather boots to shoes or trainers - although I do wear flat ballet pumps in the summer. I've got Sketchers trainers and hiking boots and I'm not keen on them, I don't like the shaped sole and keep feeling like I'm going to fall over when I wear them. Bit of a waste of £100 and £150 respectively.

Eccos were always my favourites until I discovered Padders. Wide fitting, with shaped insoles. Insoles are removable for orthotics. I wear classic lace-ups or velcros. I've come to the conclusion that sandals are not for me.
I'm also very fussy about socks - no toe seam. Pringle or Elle (from TK Max) are good. Even widely distributed soft top socks meant for diabetics have a toe seam that can rub.

Yes, I get the Elle socks from TK Maxx too - before I found them I used to wear ordinary socks inside out because of the way the seams used to rub.

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I find it very difficult to find shoes that fit. I need a size 3 slightly wider fitting shoe. Size 3 is difficult enough to find, but size 3 wider than average shoes are sometimes impossible to find.
M&S say a size 3 is equivalent to EU 35.5, but other makes say it is equivalent to 36. I think M&S is nearer, but recently I've found their shoes to be slightly too long.
Many of Clarks styles start at size 4 and, needless to say, those are the styles I want to try.

Years ago someone suggested my feet must have shrunk, if size 3s were too big. I pointed out that shoes I'd had for years, but kept for special occasions, still fitted.

I don't care what make of shoe it is, as long as it is comfortable. I haven't quite reached the stage of buying ANY shoe that fits, but as years go by I can see me have to buy horrible shoes, just because they fit.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I use bridgedale socks with leather shoes or soft german made leather mules. Luckily on-line has opened my options open. Amazon or clarks are my suppliers.
Comfort is everything to me when walking. My Reebok tatty trainers are a godsend for metrocentre or bluewater walking.
My aim is breathable, comfortable and water-proof shoes. Heels and high boots have been sent abroad for a few pounds from one of the new shops which pay you for clothing and shoes.

Ann1982

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
V
As a long term diabetic, I always remember the dire warnings given at diagnosis about wearing the wrong shoes, the damage it could do to your feet, taking care of your feet, etc. And of course, make sure you wear the right shoes....

As someone with a slight anatomical anomaly in both feet that causes me to apply pressure oddly on the balls of my feet and which has resulted in a corn on my left foot, I'm always on the lookout for comfortable footwear that relieves the pressure a little.

I recently rediscovered DR Martens after 20 years and had forgotten how good the soles are. So comfortable! My question is what do you do about footwear? What's your shoe of choice?
virtually all my shoes are Hotters or Echo as I find them the most comfortable

Reactions: ickihun

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find it very difficult to find shoes that fit. I need a size 3 slightly wider fitting shoe. Size 3 is difficult enough to find, but size 3 wider than average shoes are sometimes impossible to find.
M&S say a size 3 is equivalent to EU 35.5, but other makes say it is equivalent to 36. I think M&S is nearer, but recently I've found their shoes to be slightly too long.
Many of Clarks styles start at size 4 and, needless to say, those are the styles I want to try.

Years ago someone suggested my feet must have shrunk, if size 3s were too big. I pointed out that shoes I'd had for years, but kept for special occasions, still fitted.

I don't care what make of shoe it is, as long as it is comfortable. I haven't quite reached the stage of buying ANY shoe that fits, but as years go by I can see me have to buy horrible shoes, just because they fit.

We're virtual tootise twins, Dancer.

I agree that decent size 3s can be tricky. For casual footware, you could consider the children's department?

M&S children's 3s are pretty good for me, usually. Last I was looking in there, about the time schools had just gone back, there were no children looking or trying on, just ladies with little feet.

More elegant stuff is trickier.

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
We're virtual tootise twins, Dancer.

I agree that decent size 3s can be tricky. For casual footware, you could consider the children's department?

M&S children's 3s are pretty good for me, usually. Last I was looking in there, about the time schools had just gone back, there were no children looking or trying on, just ladies with little feet.

More elegant stuff is trickier.
Thanks @DCUKMod I must have a look at M&S kids shoes!