LCHF isn't working.

Mark_1

I didn't say I was doing LCHF, nor did I say LCHF doesn't work, though I did respond to the thread with that title. I was at pains to say that under 100 carbs daily is low FOR ME. Personally, I don't think it's the best idea for ME to go straight from a "normal" diabetes oblivious diet consisting among other things of a lot of fruit and milk, to the other extreme of LCHF. Also LCHF is clearly more difficult for people like me who have vegetarian tendencies. But this was not what I was talking about.

I very much appreciate this forum, it's a real life saver. I also think it is a pity that it seems to be dominated by aggressive born again LCHFers. I much prefer the gentler, more co-operative approach to be found in the vegan/vegetarian section. Can the myth that meat eaters are more aggressive really be true???

Who’s being aggressive?

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I very much appreciate this forum, it's a real life saver. I also think it is a pity that it seems to be dominated by aggressive born again LCHFers. I much prefer the gentler, more co-operative approach to be found in the vegan/vegetarian section. Can the myth that meat eaters are more aggressive really be true???

Naughty! :). But you will be pleased to know, Sweden is positively brimming with LCHFers, and Swedes are a very conflict-avoidant bunch as a rule. (Just don't have them bearing down on you on a bicycle! ;):).)

My daughter is an LCHFing vegetarian - it does happen, but yes, it really helps to be dairy tolerant, and have a heap of lactase to deal with the heaps of lactose in the heaps of dairy one can be consuming. I do, and she does, thank goodness.

Jokes are good. I will continue the joke and say - maybe meat eaters aren't more aggressive, but just have heaps of energy due to the more than adequate nutrients they are getting from a species-appropriate diet ;):).

Seriously though, I have always respected and admired vegetarians and vegans enormously for putting compassion and good ethics towards animals before good eating, good digestion, and good nutrition. You got to admire that! But making them less aggressive? A vegan told my daughter recently that I would be dead in two weeks due to my lovely meat-y and fat-ty diet. I didn't find that bursting with compassion. (I think having parents with chronic health conditions makes courageous strong types out of many of our children. At least in the face of an aggressive vegan.) (T2 isn't always chronic, but mine seems to be.)

Excuse me taking up the going off topic there. Just couldn't resist....

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Naughty! :). But you will be pleased to know, Sweden is positively brimming with LCHFers, and Swedes are a very conflict-avoidant bunch as a rule. (Just don't have them bearing down on you on a bicycle! ;):).)

My daughter is an LCHFing vegetarian - it does happen, but yes, it really helps to be dairy tolerant, and have a heap of lactase to deal with the heaps of lactose in the heaps of dairy one can be consuming. I do, and she does, thank goodness.

Jokes are good. I will continue the joke and say - maybe meat eaters aren't more aggressive, but just have heaps of energy due to the more than adequate nutrients they are getting from a species-appropriate diet ;):).

Seriously though, I have always respected and admired vegetarians and vegans enormously for putting compassion and good ethics towards animals before good eating, good digestion, and good nutrition. You got to admire that! But making them less aggressive? A vegan told my daughter recently that I would be dead in two weeks due to my lovely meat-y and fat-ty diet. I didn't find that bursting with compassion. (I think having parents with chronic health conditions makes courageous strong types out of many of our children. At least in the face of an aggressive vegan.) (T2 isn't always chronic, but mine seems to be.)

I would say tongue in cheek, but then that is meat again, so some may find it offensive.

Actually diabetes is not the only one stigmatised for bad lifestyle choices. Lung cancer >>>> smoking. Mouth cancer >>>> too much oral sex, bowel cancer >>>> not enough fibre, haemerroids>>>>> fibre again. cervical cancer >>> too much sex again. Glandular fever>>>>> kissing, cold sores >>>>> kissing and sex yet again.

So overeating seems to be a mild insult compared to others.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I didn't say I was doing LCHF, nor did I say LCHF doesn't work, though I did respond to the thread with that title. I was at pains to say that under 100 carbs daily is low FOR ME. Personally, I don't think it's the best idea for ME to go straight from a "normal" diabetes oblivious diet consisting among other things of a lot of fruit and milk, to the other extreme of LCHF. Also LCHF is clearly more difficult for people like me who have vegetarian tendencies. But this was not what I was talking about.

Agressive lchf born again?? Because it works for loads of us. Especially type 2 and manyntype 1. I can't seem to find a way to get enough plant protein to keep bs stable. Vegetarian must be difficult to control bs and no idea how one would do keto.

But aggressive lchf born again? A bit insulting as it's helped many of us gain control of bs.

Reactions: KimWheeler

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Agressive lchf born again?? Because it works for loads of us. Especially type 2 and manyntype 1. I can't seem to find a way to get enough plant protein to keep bs stable. Vegetarian must be difficult to control bs and no idea how one would do keto.

But aggressive lchf born again? A bit insulting as it's helped many of us gain control of bs.
Sorry Kristin, of course I didn't mean you, or anyone else peacably following the LCHF method and trying to share what you have learned. I was after all agreeing with the belief that you and others often so rightly mention, that we are all different and need to find our own strategies. Of course I can see that lots of people are doing really well on LCHF. I was reacting to the way some people are so impressed with LCHF they disparage any other strategies and make it hard for anyone else trying for something different to get a word in.

I fear this may be off topic, but I had to take the opportunity to ask you about your and your daughter's capacity to eat dairy. Before I got my A1c of 41 I was happily consuming LOTS of milk and yoghurt, but now I am counting carbs (keeping under 100 daily) I can't allow myself more than two-three helpings a day. Yet I notice other people too in their posts seem to regard yoghurt as carb free. What is going on here? Do carbs in milk etc raise some people's bgs less than other foods? Maybe I should start a separate thread about this.

And yes, as I was writing my previous post I did recollect that vegans can be extremely aggressive too. It was just that the ones I've encountered here are so nice and having the kind of collaborative discussion I'd like to have everywhere.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry Kristin, of course I didn't mean you, or anyone else peacably following the LCHF method and trying to share what you have learned. I was after all agreeing with the belief that you and others often so rightly mention, that we are all different and need to find our own strategies. Of course I can see that lots of people are doing really well on LCHF. I was reacting to the way some people are so impressed with LCHF they disparage any other strategies and make it hard for anyone else trying for something different to get a word in.

I fear this may be off topic, but I had to take the opportunity to ask you about your and your daughter's capacity to eat dairy. Before I got my A1c of 41 I was happily consuming LOTS of milk and yoghurt, but now I am counting carbs (keeping under 100 daily) I can't allow myself more than two-three helpings a day. Yet I notice other people too in their posts seem to regard yoghurt as carb free. What is going on here? Do carbs in milk etc raise some people's bgs less than other foods? Maybe I should start a separate thread about this.

And yes, as I was writing my previous post I did recollect that vegans can be extremely aggressive too. It was just that the ones I've encountered here are so nice and having the kind of collaborative discussion I'd like to have everywhere.
No worries!!!
I think milk and yogurt raise a lot of people's bs. I don't eat them as I'm a bit lactose intolerant and too carby for me but an ounce or so of cheese doesn't raise me. But the cheeses I eat have no carbs.

Sorry, I didn't mean to get snippy. Was having one of those days. I'm so stupid carb sensative it's ridiculous and it makes me sad sometimes.
My whole playing field has changed in th last two weeks. Having some hypos and no idea why. I'm just off kilter lately.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A glas of red Wine is much better than beer. Beer is filled with carbs

By the way it is lousy to give up that soon diabetes is for life and just falling back into old habits would surely lead to a bad prognoses and adding diseases

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I only lost weight when I went 1000 calories a day. Now when exercising much more I can’t eat that little but think gaining muscle is just as important

RedDragon1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Guys and Gals
I'm new here and looking at doing LCHF diet for my health benifit ! Right now im using large amounts of Insulin ( Lantus 92 unit and Novo Rapid 32 units x3 ) per day plus a load of Pills inc Metfomin 800mg x3.
BG levels tend to be around the 7-8 level daily. However im piling on the WEIGHT ( now touching the 300lbs area) Not really a huge eater so guessing weight gains are due to the insulin use..
Would anyone know of a good book about Keto diets to get me started on my Journey ??
Thanks
Chris

ps LCHF isnt working Yet as i havent started :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Guzzler

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Hello and welcome RedDragon. You may get more answers to your question by posting it in the 'Ask a Question' segment of the forum. When you go into that segment someone will tag daisy1 who will give you some basic information and I am sure that the lovely people who are doing a Keto diet/lifestyle will be happy to recommend and provide links to books and authors on the subject.

Reactions: Freema
B

badcat

Natural yogurt is generally much lower in carbs than milk because most of the milk sugar ( lactose) is eaten by the bacteria during the fermentation process that turns milk into yogurt . Full fat live / probiotic yogurt is the best in this regard. For the same reason, natural yogurt is tolerated well by many people who are lactose intolerant

Reactions: Dinet and Freema

RedDragon1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello and welcome RedDragon. You may get more answers to your question by posting it in the 'Ask a Question' segment of the forum. When you go into that segment someone will tag daisy1 who will give you some basic information and I am sure that the lovely people who are doing a Keto diet/lifestyle will be happy to recommend and provide links to books and authors on the subject.
Thanks Guzzler have reposted in "Ask a Question" segment now :D

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Sorry Kristin, of course I didn't mean you or any other LCHF adopter who is peacably following their path or
No worries!!!
I think milk and yogurt raise a lot of people's bs. I don't eat them as I'm a bit lactose intolerant and too carby for me but an ounce or so of cheese doesn't raise me. But the cheeses I eat have no carbs.

Sorry, I didn't mean to get snippy. Was having one of those days. I'm so stupid carb sensative it's ridiculous and it makes me sad sometimes.
My whole playing field has changed in th last two weeks. Having some hypos and no idea why. I'm just off kilter lately.

So sorry things are not going well just now.

oldsle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
This actually seems too low carb to me. I know I've run into problems with bg eating less than 20 carbs per day (wasn't intending to, just happened). I find I did best at 30-50 carbs per day, but everyone's different.

oldsle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Maybe stop the IF for a bit and see if things improve. I know it didn't work for me.

RedDragon1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Guys
I havent started it yet ! :D looking for advice on the best way of starting the journey to getting rid of approx 130lbs and getting towards treating Diabeties, not just the symptoms ...

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Natural yogurt is generally much lower in carbs than milk because most of the milk sugar ( lactose) is eaten by the bacteria during the fermentation process that turns milk into yogurt . Full fat live / probiotic yogurt is the best in this regard. For the same reason, natural yogurt is tolerated well by many people who are lactose intolerant
Not sure that is completely correct @badcat.. the lowest yoghurt I can find is 3.7g of carbs per 100g full fat milk is 4.7g per 100ml most full fat yoghurt that I have founds is usually 5 or more g per 100g. The lactofree full fat milk I have in my tea is 2.7g per 100ml.

Edit.. does that make me sound a bit obsessive perchance?

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other

Yes, I agree - the collaborative discussion is good here (and nothing wrong with some gentle teasing between way of eating types - no worries :).)

My dairy is cream and cheese. I only eat a small amount of Greek-style full fat yoghurt - about a tablespoon a week? And no milk. I eat what feels like a ton of cheese (ditto my daughter) but probably isn't as much as a French dairy lover, but I do eat masses of whipped cream (about a litre a week). Organic double cream in New Zealand, I believe, is divine :). Not organic and single is still pretty darned good. Cream has about 3-4g of carbs per 100g, so let's just say 40g of carbs from cream a week. Different types of cheeses vary, but it's not a lot of carbs, at all. But I would have maybe 10-20g of carbs from cheese a week? You can see why cream and cheese can be a good part of a LCHF diet for a diabetic. The key is if one is lactose tolerant, and your digestion can take it.

Also - I don't take any notice of cholesterol levels. I also eat a lot of eggs.

I did a ton of BG testing, my waist-height ratio, and an HBA1c experiment comparing dairy (of what I eat above) with dairy-free for a month. Zero difference, as in nada, zilch. I was thrilled.

Tie in with back to topic: In terms of what you eat on LCHF as a diabetic, in order for LCHF to work for you - nothing beats BG testing, and measuring your waist and hips over time to see how your body is coping with different types of foods? I would say. I only weigh myself to check on an "Eek!" from the results of my measuring tape.

And I measure if I can see any excess carbs on my person, which I can as a rule. Latest culprit? Low-carb pleasure bars. Sadly, didn't work. No 'no effect' thrill. Intermittent Fasting, if such a food diversion goes wrong, can pull things back to my normal. That's what I am doing again. And a very sad goodbye to the Atkins caramel nut bar.