Flu jab 2010/2011

A

Anonymous

Re: Flu jab 2010.

I'm having mine on Saturday morning. I'm very surprised to hear that the swine flu vaccine will be included. Didn't get told at my surgery. Had that last year though with no ill effects.

To mehdave.
Why are you having the pneumonia jab? Didn't you have one when you were diagnosed? My nurse told me mine would last for 10 years.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.

I'm having mine on the 26th - I changed my mind about having it. I felt very ill the day after the swine flu vac and had a large painful lump on my arm for a week so I'm hoping the vac will have improved since last year. I haven't booked any appointment for the pneumonia jab though. Still thinking about it...

A

Anonymous

Hi daisy1.

I'm getting confused now about the pneumonia jab. Do you have it every year? As I said in my last post, my nurse said it would last for 10 years. I had it done straight after being diagnosed.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.

Hi Joely
I also haven't found out how long the pneumonia jab lasts as there are differing informations on here. I have never had one and only just found out they existed but my Mother ended up in hospital with it so might get it done. I will ask about it when I have my flu jab done but I know you can't have them done at the same time.

dorsetlad

Dislikes
T2

I had the pneumonia jab after a bout of pneumonia in 2008. I was told by the nurse that it was a one and only, and would last all my life.

Brian

banjo brunette

daisy1 said:
Hi Joely
I also haven't found out how long the pneumonia jab lasts as there are differing informations on here. I have never had one and only just found out they existed but my Mother ended up in hospital with it so might get it done. I will ask about it when I have my flu jab done but I know you can't have them done at the same time.

Hi Daisy1
Yes, you can have both jabs at once - I had one in one arm and one in the other at the same time. I was told the pneumonia one was a once-in-a-lifetime deal at the time.

BTW Had my flu jab at 9am yesterday and went down with sneezy sniffles by lunchtime. I'm typing this from my sick bed :wink: I'm sure it's a coincidentc and I've probably caught my cold from one of my students (they all seem to be coming to my office with Freshers' flu") but not fair all the same. SNIFF.
Cheers, BB :D

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.

Thanks very much banjo brunette for that information. :) I have already got an appointment to get the flu jab in 10 days time so I'm going to call the surgery to arrange to have the pneumonia jab at the same time. Also great that you only have to have it once. Hope you feel better very soon. :)

mehdave

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rubbish doctors who dont listen. Unclean hospitals

Had pneumonia in 2008 while in Canada. So they finally caved and gave me the pneumonia jab this year as im now diabetic. I need to get a booster in 5years. You do if you have certain kidney problems etc. otherwise its usually a once only.

petee

When I had my flu jab last year I got flu symptoms the next day and had to have a couple of days off work... so I will definately be having it again next month! :?

josie38

Still unsure about having mine as i usually get a lump and am unwell for a couple of days after it. I know it has the swine flu in there but my other half had swine flu last year and neither me or kids got it, even though we did not have our swine flu jabs!

josie

DazG

Ive just had mine, hoping it doesnt make me ill cos its my birthday tomorrow :shock:

Been told to book an apt for the pneumonia jab in a couple of weeks, can anyone let me know if that makes you feel ill?

anniep

Well I went to book my pnumonia jab this year, only to be told I had it 2 years ago! So I guess it didn't cause any problems as I don't even remember having it.

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*

anniep said:
Well I went to book my pnumonia jab this year, only to be told I had it 2 years ago! So I guess it didn't cause any problems as I don't even remember having it.

It doesn't seem very good for the memory though...LOL :lol: :lol:

anniep

Hobs said:
anniep said:

It doesn't seem very good for the memory though...LOL :lol: :lol:

Did I say something :?

DazG

Oh well, Flu jab this morning, within a few hours I felt awful and now have a pounding headache too :( I suppose its for the best tho and will save me from a nasty does of flu this winter.

avi

Dislikes
people who act like they are the diabetic police!!!
The Flu Jab?

Hi all

I was put on an insulin pump at the beginning of June, and have been sailing along testing and tweaking trying to get everything right. I was feeling quite pleased with myself, which I find with diabetes to be a big mistake, and doing alright until I had my flu jab on Wednesday, since then I seem to be having quite a number of hypos, three yesterday. I haven't been doing anything more than usual, so can't understand it. Just coincidental maybe?

Avi

avi

Dislikes
people who act like they are the diabetic police!!!
Re: The Flu Jab?

Hi
Just got of the phone with my DN, explaining my probs, now don't get excited says she but I was talking to the consultant you used to be with (pre insulin pump), and she says she always suspected that you weren't a true type 1, no news there then, and the next time you come for an appointment we are going to do a test to see, it might be you just need tablets!!!!!! When I was initially diagnosed I was tested for everything conceivable, from addisons disease, thyroid the lot, I always assumed that they had tested me for this as well, apparently not and five years down the line on a chance conversation they are doing it now. Not a happy bunny.
Avi

anniep

DazG said:
Oh well, Flu jab this morning, within a few hours I felt awful and now have a pounding headache too :( I suppose its for the best tho and will save me from a nasty does of flu this winter.

With the millions of people having the flu jab, it would be strange if some didn't catch a bug just after they had their jab.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.

I have just had the jab and have had a bad headache for the past three days. Plus a sore hot red lump on my arm. Next week is the pneumonia jab which I will have in the other arm. Hope that doesn't have the same effect.