METFORMIN QUESTIONS and ANSWERS

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Re: Metformin SR. Morning or evening

debbietowns said:
Hi,
I thought it is probably quicker to ask on here than go back to my Doctor!

He has changed me to Metformin SR. One Tablet in the evening with dinner.

I keep forgetting to take it, so does it matter if i changed it to breakfast time, when i am more likely to remember?

The box says evening too. Why? Does it matter?

Thanks for your help
Debbie

If you find that difficult then you should discuss it with your GP first. You may be able to change the timing but that may reduce its efficacy. Something you and the GP need to consider. Changing the timing without discussion is not really recommended.

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!
What is the realistic chance of coming off metformin? I know that you are going to say that it depends on how my sugar levels are, and how I watch my diet etc, but I am wondering how many people have actually been able to come off it.

Dislikes
Modern so called singers like Cheryl Cole and rubbish boy bands
Really show my age!
Recently diagnosed type 2 and on 2 Metaformin a day.
Been ok until 2 days ago when started a violent attack of diarea (I KNOW I have spelt it wrongly!! :wink: )
Does anyone think it could be the Metaformin after taking for 5 weeks?

On seperate note...my nurse will not prescribe strips for a monitor as says it would only worry me.
my last test was 9.6 which she felt was ok!

Very worrying at first isnt it

kukka

Re: Another metformin question

Ripelda said:
I have just started on metformin SR (500mg) once a day, and as yet have had no stomach problems, but I do have one weird side effect, I get hungry about two to four hours after I take it. I take it with my evening meal, so I know I am not REALLY hungry, and I don't give in, but I am starving. I could eat my own leg, I am that hungry. Is this normal? If it is will it pass? It isn't mentioned on the leaflet in the box, but has anyone else had this experience? Thanks, Rippie.

HI i have this ever since i started on metformin a few months ago.i saw the diabetic nurse today and my recent bloods show despite the one tablet of metformin my sugars have rose..i read up about it as since i started my tablet i been thirstier hungrier and tired more..and i discussed it with her and she agreed it maybe signs of uncontrolled diabetes.she says maybe the tablet is helping some times in the day but when it wears of i am experiencing dianetic symptoms so today they decided llike i thought that i need to increase my medication to twice a day for 2 weeks then review

i would suggest you test and see what your sugars are doing.infact i had more hunger pangs when my sugar was higher as my body wasnt getting given the energy and sugars i needed

kukka

i was wondering if anybody had been kept on one tablet of metformin for at least 2 months? my levels were 8.8 in morning and 11-13 after meals.after a few months mine are now 9.9-11 morning and 13-15 after meals and obviously worse readings than before..they agreed to up my meds to 2 tablets of 500mg time released metformin morning and evening

they seem to be so slow helping me reduce my levels.is this normal???

she said they wont be seeing me for 3 months again now? i cant believe that !!!

but she did say as my cholesterol gone up to 5.9 i have to see doc after further blood tests in a few weeks time and he may decide to give me another tablet with the metformin but ive no idea what it will be.any ideas whats next? she did say i would need to eake metformin still but this other one will be different type

Dobbs

Metformin last thing at night

I'm a type 2 on 2x500 Metformin per day.
I was always told to take my tablets with meals, and have been doing so mostly, but lately I've kept forgetting to take my evening one with my meal. (There is a reason: my new jacket doesn't have a good inside pocket to keep my supplies in, and I've been eating out or eating on the go a lot lately.) So instead I've been taking my evening tablet just before I go to bed.
To my surprise I see that my morning levels seem to be slightly lower than expected - only by about 0.3 to 0.5 lower, but even so...
Could this be to do with taking Metformin about two hours after finishing eating, rather than with the meal?
Has anyone else had similar experiences? Is this good/bad/indifferent?

DazG

I have never been told when to take mine, so I take one at breakfast and one at tea time, tho mine are slow release so I have no idea what difference it makes as I assume they are going through my body at all times due to the SR.

A

Anonymous

I am having an oppisite problem with my nurse over my metformin. I've been on 2000mg per day which has worked well for me over the past 3 and a half years. My latest Hba1c is 5.8% and BM's are always nice and low. But, mysteriously I have still been recently diagnosed with background retinopathy. Kmowing that my DN has taken me off 2 of my Metformin! I'm furious as I really need to keep as good as I am to help prevent the retinopathy getting worse quickly.

asante_za

Metformin gas issue

I have been very healthy since I started taking metformin xr 500 x1. However, of late the "farting" side effect has increased considerably. I have to visit the toilet at least 6 times in the 8 hours at work. No running stomach but just lots of gas. I am on low cab diet but lots of fruits and veg. I take 1 egg a day at breakfast. What's gone wrong and what can I do about it.

rainey2910

Dislikes
Work!
Re: Metformin gas issue

hi asante,

it's the Metforim causing the gas....don't worry, I've had the same problem as you. just try to keep your diet healthy and it should pass (no pun intended!) :)

Eiche

Dislikes
Not being able to satisfy my craving for chocolate LOL

The flatulence will subside as your body gets use to Metformin. I had the same problem, as everyone who takes Metformin and it does come back from time to time but hey, at least we have a real thing to blame it on ;)

mrsmousemat

Lots of fruit and an egg could do it.

If it's any consolation, there was a study ages ago (don't ask me where I read it ) which said the more you fart ...the longer your live.

And that the average number of farts a day is 17.

DeafDiabetic

I take 3 x 500mg Metformin daily.

My farting's become something of an an art . These days I can even play "Rule Britannia" at will......

So entertaining - NOT! :lol:

Marvin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I'm wondering why the OP has not been offered Gliclazide if Metformin alone is not controlling BG levels. After three years controlled by diet/exercise alone my levels were getting out of hand, and Metformin, whilst effective up to a point, was not sufficient at 2x500mg twice daily, so Gliclazide was added, which had the desired effect. I know people differ, and we don't know all the OP's medical details, but I'd have thought trying the Glic was the obvious next step rather than going on Insulin. (Glic does have a downside, however.... risk of hypos, which I do get although fortunately they are clearly signalled and I can deal with them before things get too serious. Insulin, of course, has the same downside. I'd much rather pop a Glic with my breakfast than start injecting insulin!)

EDIT Oops! Just noticed the date on this thread...I didn't realize there were 19 pages to it, and obviously hadn't bothered to wade through it all. So Ignore my post, and I'll fetch me coat!

spitfire

metformin and anxiety med citalopram

Hi anyone taking metformin and anxiety medication IE( citalopram ) just wondered if the 2 go together because im not sure thanks.

rainey2910

Dislikes
Work!

mrsmousemat said:
Lots of fruit and an egg could do it.

If it's any consolation, there was a study ages ago (don't ask me where I read it ) which said the more you fart ...the longer your live.

And that the average number of farts a day is 17.

Yay! That means I'm above average on something at last!!!! :D

zeus3341

Type of diabetes
Type 2
taking metaformin

I have just been diagnosed Diabetis 2 and it was decided to put me on metaformin
Ok so i may get a upset tumm I could do that but what I got was a strange reaction in my head like pressure and my eyes went out of focus
Anyone else had this? :?:

wingrove940

Re: taking metaformin

yes i have been on metaformin for about month now and yes been have a sort fuzzy head and the very loose almost running to the loo , lol also not been sleeping well the dn said it should pass better hurry up and settle down soon getting ratty , also told the nurse said about my eye's she said it's normal at the moment can't even use my reading classes until my eye's start to focus. :-(