kimrooney89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liars
Hi all!
I was just wondering if anyone uses extra adhesive on/over their quick sets?
I've caught mines once or twice which has been a bit nippy and even managed to tear one right out of my leg earlier!

Was hoping to avoid this happening again by adding some extra security. What adhesive do you recommend? Preferably something I can purchase in-store or online based close to the UK as postage from the U.S. is steep.

Thanks in advance

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Skin Tac adhesive wipes are good. I've used them on myself, I have trouble getting my sets to stick on my stomach since having a baby and these work like a charm.
I've just searched and you can get them on amazon. You wipe them on the skin and let it dry before putting your cannula on and it sticks much better.

Hope this helps

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
2d4ca3f0b4d73f8960d064f74aeb7a22.png

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @kimrooney89 - I've never taped a cannula down with anything so far. I've recently started using Cavilon spray before applying a new cannula but that's to protect my skin from the adhesive as I've started to react to it.

Some swear by Tegaderm but I haven't used it to hold a cannula on.

Something I used to do when I first started pumping was to stick a piece of Micropore tape across the hosepipe about a couple of inches from the cannula, because I was worried that I'd pull it out somehow. With the tape there, if I did catch the hosepipe on something, for instance while getting dressed or something, the 'pull' would only reach the tape, not the cannula. Might be worth a try?

:)

Reactions: kimrooney89

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
If the pull is on the tubing then just use a bit of tape about 1cm from the cannula so the tape takes the strain and not your cannula..
Skin take can be bought on line from animas for about £12 if they will supply a non customer. Or http://www.mghealthcare.co.uk/products.aspx which is a lot cheaper than amazon.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
OUCH @kimrooney89 !

Never tried my legs - mind you I think I'd struggle, seeing as I go for a wee about 400 times a day!*

*slight exaggeration

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I'll follow your advice and try your tips of wisdom! Hopefully I'll avoid anymore mishaps
emoji85.png

I had just changed site yesterday morning. I completely forgot, yanked my trousers up and ripped he full thing right out of my leg!
Sounds as if you are catching the actual cannula then, so would something like Comfifast do the trick? You can get it in 3m lengths and cut to the size you want/need.

iHs

Most of my sets stick like superglue but with sensors I use cosmetic body glue which is very cheap and lasts yonks.
eBay amazon sell it

kimrooney89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liars
Sounds as if you are catching the actual cannula then, so would something like Comfifast do the trick? You can get it in 3m lengths and cut to the size you want/need.
Oh that sounds Good, I'll gave a little look online and see where I can pick some Comfifast up. Thanks!

kimrooney89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liars
Most of my sets stick like superglue but with sensors I use cosmetic body glue which is very cheap and lasts yonks.
eBay amazon sell it
Oh really? That's a fab idea! I would never have thought of cosmetic body glue :)

D

Deleted Account

I use SkinTac. Two reasons for this: it keeps everything in place and it provides a barrier which reduces skin irritation (although I still have to change me cannula every 2 days).
Mine comes from Animas as part of my pump supplies. Might be worth asking Medtronic directly before spending money yourself.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I use the Paradigm and the sets stick really hard....I can swing my pump from and have snagged the tubing many times without having to change it....

I have snagged it hard enough to pull it out but this was more common in the first 6 months....now it never happens....

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

iHs

OTE="kimrooney89, post: 1568996, member: 345085"]Oh really? That's a fab idea! I would never have thought of cosmetic body glue :)[/QUOTE]
Ive Used it for over a year and the nail vsrnish bottle is 50% empty so will do me for another year. I just use some alcohol swabs to remove any glue residue from the bottle and on the skin around the edges of the sensor or the set. It looks like pva glue but is suitable for the skin?