Just a question/comment.

davealan1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Basically everything that's good for you.
Has anyone else noticed that root vegetables and fruit prepacked from supermarkets does not seem to have either the traffic light system or nutritional values on the packaging. If this is the case how are people with any type of diabetes able to know what their carbs,sugar and fat content is.
Also, can anyone start a campaign to get this important information put onto the packaging.
Just a question/ comment.

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I am unsure of the nutritional content of certain foods Mr Google can usually provide an answer. There are also compact pocket books available for looking up nutritional information.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Has anyone else noticed that root vegetables and fruit prepacked from supermarkets does not seem to have either the traffic light system or nutritional values on the packaging. If this is the case how are people with any type of diabetes able to know what their carbs,sugar and fat content is.
Also, can anyone start a campaign to get this important information put onto the packaging.
Just a question/ comment.
Can you give us an example please? I don't recall ever getting something from the likes of Tesco without nutritional info. Loose items (no packing), such as butternut squash are even allocated nutritional information from their website - have you had a look there?

See examples of pre-packaged and loose butternut squash below:

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/265027027

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/276806379

Reactions: Struma

davealan1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Can you give us an example please? I don't recall ever getting something from the likes of Tesco without nutritional info. Loose items (no packing), such as butternut squash are even allocated nutritional information from their website - have you had a look there?

See examples of pre-packaged and loose butternut squash below:

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/265027027

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/276806379
Hello, just been down to Tesco and the oranges prepacked, green seedless grapes, strawberries prepacked etc, do not seem to have nutritional data on them, unless it's me picking the un labelled ones up. I also do not normally pick single items of fruit or vegetables.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, just been down to Tesco and the oranges prepacked, green seedless grapes, strawberries prepacked etc, do not seem to have nutritional data on them, unless it's me picking the un labelled ones up. I also do not normally pick single items of fruit or vegetables.
If that is the case, then I'd weigh your fruit and use the internet/carbs & calls, etc to get your CHO value.

Can you find any of your items on the Tesco website, out of curiosity?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I am not sure if I agree only because in general the western diet is poor in whole fruits and vegetables and while we as diabetics are (or should be) clued up on how to read nutritional information or find the relevant info if it is not on the packaging the general public may be put off buying something like grapes if it has a red light symbol on it. I loathe the traffic light labelling as it mentions sugars without alluding to the fact, obvious to we diabetics, that carbs as a whole are the baddies.
We must remember that for non diabetics the fruit and vegetables are far more important a part of a healthy diet than the pap in the so called healthy fruit juices and artificially sweetened low fat rubbish.
At most, in an ideal world, I would like a small symbol something along the lines of 'D.F' for Diabetes Freindly. In my world, the labelling of foods with 'No Added Sugar' would be banned and those products would have have a big fat red alarm bell symbol on them with the words 'Artificial Sweeteners are used in this!' But then I am in a minority where ASs are concerned.

Reactions: ziggy_w

davealan1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
H
If that is the case, then I'd weigh your fruit and use the internet/carbs & calls, etc to get your CHO value.

Can you find any of your items on the Tesco website, out of curiosity?
hi GrantGam, yes I did find nutritional values on the Tesco website. Thank you.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's all there on Tesco website!

IMG_0946.PNG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
One thing I steer clear of is Grapes I was eating about 10 a day when I first got diagnosed instead of cakes/biscuits for work and I found out they were pure sugar and just as bad as eating loads of cakes/biscuits.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I use theTesco website for many items, but find the book Carbs & Cals very useful for many things that don't have labels' including drinks, meat, fish, loose vegetables and friut etc. Available from Amazon (book and app) as it shows photos of different serving sizes with the weight, carbs, calories, fat, sat fat, protein and fibre contents. It was my bible when I first started, and I still use it now.

Ignore the traffic light labels.