Newcastle Diet - End of week 7 - Help!

Muzzer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
So here I am, end of week 7 and starting to worry:-

First of all, I have remained under 800 calories a day and have stuck to low-starchy vegetables religiously.
I have done nothing different this last week than I have any other week.

My weight has stayed the same since last week i.e. 12st 10.5 lbs
So no weight loss! ☹️
My target is 12st 8lbs to lose 15% if my original weight of 15st 2lbs

My fasting BG was 8.3 this morning which I really wasn't happy with and am at a loss to explain.

Blood pressure still normal and still off all medications

Thinking I may need to get on the treadmill to burn off these last few pounds??

ANY ADVICE WOULD BE REALLY APPRECIATED AT THIS POINT

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I have no advice Muzzer, sorry. But keep going, you've been doing such a great job try not to be disheartened. The extra excercise couldn't do any harm just remember to hydrate. Fingers crossed for you.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I have never done anything like a low calorie diet but I would of thought as a diabetic it wouldn't be that good for you.
May I ask why?

Muzzer is doing the Newcastle Diet, you may wish to read about it here on the forum to find out more.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So here I am, end of week 7 and starting to worry:-

First of all, I have remained under 800 calories a day and have stuck to low-starchy vegetables religiously.
I have done nothing different this last week than I have any other week.

My weight has stayed the same since last week i.e. 12st 10.5 lbs
So no weight loss! ☹️
My target is 12st 8lbs to lose 15% if my original weight of 15st 2lbs

My fasting BG was 8.3 this morning which I really wasn't happy with and am at a loss to explain.

Blood pressure still normal and still off all medications

Thinking I may need to get on the treadmill to burn off these last few pounds??

ANY ADVICE WOULD BE REALLY APPRECIATED AT THIS POINT

you are doing an amazing job... don´t panic over a few weeks of higher blood glucose... just keep focus and keep on... maybe make sure that your level of proteins is adequate not too high not too low... like around 0.8-1.0 grams pro kg body weight... one eggs is 7 grams on average

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Your body might be rebelling at a point of homeostasis. Even though you haven't lost weight you may have lost size. You could try some short HiiT training first thing to kick start your metabolism, as often this drops with low calorie diets. Maybe 2 cups of black filter coffee first thing, this helps many to burn more calories. If you can add cinnamon and hot spices to your meals, again helps to burn calories. If you are doing one meal a day for your 800 calories try splitting into 2 meals, eating can kick start the metabolism.

Give yourself a break, you have done remarkably well.

Reactions: Dr Snoddy and zand

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
There might be something else wrong or some bug 'brewing' that has caused this - it certainly isn't what you've eaten!

My fasting bg goes high if my arthritis is playing up, if I'm incubating some kind of infection or if something is inflammed. There are so many things that can cause FBG to go up. Don't give up now - you are doing so well.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
and maybe try eat some meat insted of all these vegs... that is if you are not vegetarian... or high protein diary cheese and cottage cheese...

Last edited:

Muzzer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have never done anything like a low calorie diet but I would of thought as a diabetic it wouldn't be that good for you.
Are you serious?
You need to look into things a bit more before making sweeping statements such as "I would have thought it wouldn't be that good for you" !!!???
It can actually put a T2 into remission.
Why would you say something that you clearly know nothing about? .... Why?

Reactions: Mark_1 and Serena51

Muzzer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have no advice Muzzer, sorry. But keep going, you've been doing such a great job try not to be disheartened. The extra excercise couldn't do any harm just remember to hydrate. Fingers crossed for you.
Guzzler, I think you may have hit the nail on the head.... come o think of it, my fluid intake wasn't that high yesterday - Thank you.

Reactions: Freema

Muzzer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
you are doing an amazing job... don´t panic over a few weeks of higher blood glucose... just keep focus and keep on... maybe make sure that your level of proteins is adequate not too high not too low... like around 0.8-1.0 grams pro kg body weight... one eggs is 7 grams on average

Freema, thank you.
I am taking same protein shakes every day, no eggs or dairy, no meat or fish, just veg and meal replacement shakes that require no supplements

Muzzer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Your body might be rebelling at a point of homeostasis. Even though you haven't lost weight you may have lost size. You could try some short HiiT training first thing to kick start your metabolism, as often this drops with low calorie diets. Maybe 2 cups of black filter coffee first thing, this helps many to burn more calories. If you can add cinnamon and hot spices to your meals, again helps to burn calories. If you are doing one meal a day for your 800 calories try splitting into 2 meals, eating can kick start the metabolism.

Give yourself a break, you have done remarkably well.
Mbaker thamks. I have a large black coffee every morning and have 100g of carrot batons early evening as a snack which I sprinkle with Tabasco sauce as I like spice.
I will try the Hiit for sure. Thanks aain

Muzzer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
There might be something else wrong or some bug 'brewing' that has caused this - it certainly isn't what you've eaten!

My fasting bg goes high if my arthritis is playing up, if I'm incubating some kind of infection or if something is inflammed. There are so many things that can cause FBG to go up. Don't give up now - you are doing so well.

Thanks Chook. Weird to think I'd be pleased to catch a cold heh heh

Muzzer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Free a, I hear wat you're saying and understand where you're coming from.
With respect, I am going to stick to the original diet if non-starchy veg. I have come this far.

Guys, thank you ALL for your comments, encouragement and advice.
I have taken onboard what has been said and hopefully will be able to report back more positively.

I have made an appointment with my DN for long range checkup, the earliest They can see me is 05/10/2017

Next update at end of week 8
Fingers crossed!

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Are you serious?
You need to look into things a bit more before making sweeping statements such as "I would have thought it wouldn't be that good for you" !!!???
It can actually put a T2 into remission.
Why would you say something that you clearly know nothing about? .... Why?
Hey I'm new to this all I said was I wouldn't eat a low calorie diet because it wouldn't suit me, it wasn't a sweeping statement it was something that wouldn't suit me, so please don't attack me.

Muzzer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hey I'm new to this all I said was I wouldn't eat a low calorie diet because it wouldn't suit me, it wasn't a sweeping statement it was something that wouldn't suit me, so please don't attack me.
Actually that's NOT what you said.
You said "...... I would of thought as a diabetic it wouldn't be that good for you."
And I said don't make such a sweeping statement which was very incorrect as you are way off the mark. If you don't know, don't offer advice as you could put somebody off and prevent them from improving their health.
Also if you read further down, when I calmed down I apologised, but again you come back with another statement that wAs also unnecessary

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Muzzer I found my weightloss stalled at the same point when I tried the diet 5-6 years ago. Just keep on doing what you're doing and don't let the scales upset you.

Edit: It could be that you did lose a little this week, then regained it through a little daily fluctuation. I tend to weigh daily for this reason, if I see that the weight is moving at all during the week then I am encouraged, even if the whole week's weigh-in result remains the same.

Peerless67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Don't panic Muzzer, even if you have to do a couple of extra days to get the 15%. But don't get hung up on it as that 15% figure was an average of all those that took part.
Just look at your achievement, a huge amount of weight lost, great BG numbers and you did it on NO medications.
Fantastic job.