ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Learning that too. Too much fat makes me feel sick. I don the need to lose weight ( sorry ) but it makes me nauseous. Avo and some nuts, a bit of mayo or olives good but too much fat arg. I'm still ahigh percentage of fat but the type of fat matters and the amount. Oils don't seem so good. Avo, nuts olives better and not in big quantities. Slow thought the day. Saturated fat sucks lol
Will my basal need reduce more if I was capable of heavy exercise? A bit stuck on not being able to reduce basal but bolus reducing nicely. Dn happy for me to stay same as still losing.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Does this mean if you want to lose weight you keep the carbs to a minimum daily? How much carbs should you stick to a day?

Hi Strachan - Many folks find that reducing carbs helps them trim up, and also some T1s find a lower carb way of eating reduces the amount of highs and lows they have, which tends to mean smaller insulin doses.

If you are considering changing how you eat by reducing your carbs, it is important you are comfortable with the prospect that you may well have to also adjust your insulin as a result. If you're not comfortable with the prospect of safely altering your doses, it's best to discuss it with your team before doing anything.

There are a number of Low Carb T1 posters, but you might find more content tailored to your own specific circumstances by rummaging around on the T1 area. There have been some threads on the topic. The T1 area is here: http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/type-1-diabetes.19/

Please don't think I'm telling you off or suggesting you shouldn't be on this thread; that's just not the case. I think that this thread has mainly T2 posters and could end up being a bit confusing in your early days.

Good luck with it all Strachan. You're on a very steep learning curve.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Will my basal need reduce more if I was capable of heavy exercise? A bit stuck on not being able to reduce basal but bolus reducing nicely. Dn happy for me to stay same as still losing.
I have no idea @ickihun as i don't do heavy exercise. I do know that exercise raises me for an I identified period of time and then I take insulin and plummet at some other I identified time. Not a fun game sticking my fingers a million more times so I just stick to slow walks and mild yoga stretching.

You're seeing some great progress!!!kudos to you.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I have no idea @ickihun as i don't do heavy exercise. I do know that exercise raises me for an I identified period of time and then I take insulin and plummet at some other I identified time. Not a fun game sticking my fingers a million more times so I just stick to slow walks and mild yoga stretching.

You're seeing some great progress!!!kudos to you.
I cannot do heavy exercise but I've posted a new thread for some ideas.
I may have to forfeit weight loss a few weeks to reduce basal which may give me higher bolus need, temporarily. I'm having a mind blank. It has just been happening so naturally, now having to think it through more, my main concern is not to stop weight loss.

paulins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Feeling I can never eat anything sweet again or anything with carbs. But thought of diabetes complications scares me more so it is a no brainer!
I have been very interested reading this thread and have realised that stalled weight loss is happening to so many of us. I was diagnosed T2 in January 2014 and immediately went on the Newcastle diet and bought a second hand treadmill. By the end of June I had lost 6 stones and learned to run, which I did 6 days out of 7. Then I was ill and without trying lost another stone. So, was 9.5 stones.
Since then I have maintained the healthy eating and have continued to run, now 8k six days a week. However, over the years I have slowly gained weight and am now a stone heavier. Apparently this MAY be because of medication I have to take, though there is no empirical evidence that the drugs do cause weight gain, or stall weight loss. So, three weeks ago I went back on the Newcastle diet (and have found it much harder to stick to!) and in the first week lost 3 lbs and in the second week 2lbs, and then have lost nothing though I have stuck faithfully to the diet and have not cheated. It is quite depressing as I know I need to keep my weight steady if my BS levels are to be steady. I don't eat high fat as for some reason this seems so counter-intuitive to me - though of course I know that others have had a lot of success with this. It is all so complex!