Cramps

Wayne18000

Hi I'm a probable type 2 diabetic on insulin. I got woken up at 5 this morning with cramp in both calf. I checked my blood sugar and it was 10.1. Could this be the reason I had the cramps? It just seems odd that I had it in both legs at the same time.

D

Deleted Account

I have no idea about the reason but if I am woken by cramp in my leg (only one at a time for me), I usually have high BG
So it could be related ... although, given stress raises BG, I would not be 100% certain on cause and effect.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I get an almost instant relief from night time cramps if I drink water - though sometimes it takes two or three glasses to take effect.
Over the years I have tried all sorts of supplements thinking that it was a lack of something in the mineral line, but after eliminating everything else I came to the conclusion that it was a need for water, pure and simple.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was waking with cramps regularly in my ankles (strange place I know) after starting low carb diet. My blood sugars were usually in the 5s at the time. I did some research and found low potassium or magnesium can cause this. I switched to using pink Himalayan salt which contains magnesium and potassium along with other minerals. My cramp has lessened, coincidence I don't know, but I'll carry on with the pink salt anyway! I'm also waiting for some magnesium and glucosamine oil which I'm hoping will get rid me of the remaining occasional cramps. I'll let you know!

Reactions: Wayne18000

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Because I do not use salt in cooking nor add it to my food on the plate, I sprinkle a tiny amount into my coffee, along with a larger amount of cinnamon. I think that it is essential to add salt in my situation - I use sea salt.
I have been doing it so long that I forget about it until someone mentions adding salt to food. I think I need it as I don't taste it, and I usually register everything - I used to work as a storage tester for Allied Lyons and know that I have a very acute sense of taste.

Wayne18000

I was waking with cramps regularly in my ankles (strange place I know) after starting low carb diet. My blood sugars were usually in the 5s at the time. I did some research and found low potassium or magnesium can cause this. I switched to using pink Himalayan salt which contains magnesium and potassium along with other minerals. My cramp has lessened, coincidence I don't know, but I'll carry on with the pink salt anyway! I'm also waiting for some magnesium and glucosamine oil which I'm hoping will get rid me of the remaining occasional cramps. I'll let you know!
Thank you

Reactions: Rachox

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Because I do not use salt in cooking nor add it to my food on the plate, I sprinkle a tiny amount into my coffee, along with a larger amount of cinnamon. I think that it is essential to add salt in my situation - I use sea salt.
I have been doing it so long that I forget about it until someone mentions adding salt to food. I think I need it as I don't taste it, and I usually register everything - I used to work as a storage tester for Allied Lyons and know that I have a very acute sense of taste.
I only add it to my coconut 'porridge' (called porridge but no grains in sight!) in the morning as the recipe calls for salt, I don't use salt in anything else! It's my daily dose!

Motherhen2014

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People shouting while on their phones.
Hi I'm a probable type 2 diabetic on insulin. I got woken up at 5 this morning with cramp in both calf. I checked my blood sugar and it was 10.1. Could this be the reason I had the cramps? It just seems odd that I had it in both legs at the same time.
Hi Wayne I have suffered with Cramp for years in calf and in both inner thighs It is what you get with diabetes if I try to do a lot of walking I was in pain most of the night. But now I cannot do thst anymore. My doctor gave me 200 mg of Quinine and that keeps it at bay I take one every night and it works .

Fruitella

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Possibly just from doing something different over the weekend maybe. I occasionally get it the day following walking up hills.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Wayne18000 I said I’d let you know how the glucosamine and magnesium oil went. Well I’ve put it on my ankles and the arches of my feet for ten nights now. You have to start with a little and work up to a maximum of ten sprays/day, I got cramp a couple of times in the first few nights but I’ve just realised that I haven’t had cramp at all for at least six nights in a row now. The smell is a bit peculiar, I don’t particularly like it but it doesn’t linger once rubbed in.

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Wayne18000 I said I’d let you know how the glucosamine and magnesium oil went. Well I’ve put it on my ankles and the arches of my feet for ten nights now. You have to start with a little and work up to a maximum of ten sprays/day, I got cramp a couple of times in the first few nights but I’ve just realised that I haven’t had cramp at all for at least six nights in a row now. The smell is a bit peculiar, I don’t particularly like it but it doesn’t linger once rubbed in.
I'm guessing it's a Better You spray. I use the standard magnesium spray which doesn't really smell. I see their 'Joint' product contains wintergreen, which makes me think of that liniment-like smell footballers have (go and watch a team like Chesham Utd and you can get close enough to smell that. I love the smell. So evocative.Takes me back to my youth !
Geoff
p.s. your original post has got me interested in doing that pizza !!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm guessing it's a Better You spray. I use the standard magnesium spray which doesn't really smell. I see their 'Joint' product contains wintergreen, which makes me think of that liniment-like smell footballers have (go and watch a team like Chesham Utd and you can get close enough to smell that. I love the smell. So evocative.Takes me back to my youth !
Geoff
p.s. your original post has got me interested in doing that pizza !!
I’m not a football fan at all so I’ll refrain from going to smell footballers! It is indeed a Better You product and yes it contains wintergreen. It says it contains menthol too, I like that smell so it must be the wintergreen I’m smelling!