Type 2 Zero carbs

ChazE

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I usually take 45 units of novorapid at breakfast, but I’m changing to a zero carb breakfast, should I drop that dose altogether

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just finished the DAFNE course last week they taught us counting carbs.... Only take insulin for the carbs u eat... Zero carbs I think is really bad

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't take insulin so I can't comment precisely . My understanding is that most people take a base level to cover their back ground needs because they cannt produce any themselves, then inject for actual meals - which would be your 45 units novorapid.
It is certainly true that if you need to be very careful about injecting insulin for a carb meal if you are not eating the carbs

I am sure others will be along to give you advice - so it would be helpful to them if you outlinedwhat your actual regime is and what your proposed breakfast is compared to the one you need the novorapid for.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I usually take 45 units of novorapid at breakfast, but I’m changing to a zero carb breakfast, should I drop that dose altogether

If you aren't carb counting, and it doesn't sound like you are if you are on a fixed dose of insulin and you don't understand how to adjust it to take account of carbs eaten, then you should ask whoever prescribed your 45 unit breakfast novorapid dose for advice on how to manage your insulin before making radical diet changes.

ChazE

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
In a normal day I would have toast and ham for breakfast, however because I am 25+ stone I am trying to lose weight and struggling, so I am changing my breakfast to 3 boiled eggs . I would normally take 45 units of novorapid at breakfast which lasts me all day on top of my abasaglar. I don’t have lunch and don’t have insulin then, but I’m wary cutting out another dose. I have 45 units novorapid at dinner time

ChazE

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
If you aren't carb counting, and it doesn't sound like you are if you are on a fixed dose of insulin and you don't understand how to adjust it to take account of carbs eaten, then you should ask whoever prescribed your 45 unit breakfast novorapid dose for advice on how to manage your insulin before making radical diet changes.

I adjust my own doses of insulin, they are not fixed as such, this is how I was taught by my diabetic nurse. I don’t do strict carb counting, but I am on a low carb diet.

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
U need carbs for energy. Speak with ur diabetic doc.
Hi Donna, may I ask if you were told that as a fact on your course? It is a bit worrying if thats what they are teaching.
I am t2 and not using insulin so will not be going on this course. I am doing the xpert course in a few months and wonder if they will be saying the same.

Skim

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Sorry but there are no essential dietary carbohydrates..none whatsoever.
Dr Bernstein one of the first proponents of low carb for diabetics says in his book that he still eats carbs as n the future medical science may discover some new essential nutrient only available in carbs.. you just never know

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Actually humans can live with little or no carbohydrate. Protein is essential and fat can be used as an energy source. The myth of needing carbs for energy has done a lot to fuel the obesity and Type 2 diabetic epidemic as people are consuming large quantities of processed carbohydrate.

ChazE

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dr Bernstein one of the first proponents of low carb for diabetics says in his book that he still eats carbs as n the future medical science may discover some new essential nutrient only available in carbs.. you just never know
But his IS a minimalist approach. B L D - 6g 12g 12g as I recall.

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance

No...you don't. This is simply not true. @ChazE - You need to avoid going too low in carbs purely because you are using insulin and if you go too low could hypo. This is also true of drugs like Gliclazide. Personally, I would never go below about 25g of carbs per day and I am often closer to 80-100 (more to do with taste and convenience than with any desire to keep the count up)...but I am not on any meds for my diabetes and manage purely by avoiding carbs. Provided you are eating enough protein and the right kinds of fat, you have no NEED for carbohydrates other than to satisfy cravings or possibly addiction. There is NO such thing as carbohydrate deficiency...it's a myth (probably spread by bakers ;)).