Dafne

wilcl4

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Question. Is the dafne courses any good. Was asked yesterday if I wanted to attend one, it's a week long course

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes! It's brilliant if you're new to carb counting or just need a refresher.

Don't know if it's something you're interested in or not but you will not be able to have a pump unless you've attended DAFNE or something similar.
I went on it after carb counting for over 10 years to get my pump and I still found it beneficial.

D

Deleted Account

Seems to depend upon the presenters.
It was a request rement for me to go on a DAFNE-like course to get a pump. I learnt very little. However, it was useful for me to talk to other people with diabetes. They helped me understand the condition and risks more than the presenters.

Reactions: wilcl4 and Sibyl

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Question. Is the dafne courses any good. Was asked yesterday if I wanted to attend one, it's a week long course

Like helensaramay says, it depends on the presenters; the two who led the course I went on were excellent. It made a big difference to my ways of managing food and doses, even though I'd had diabetes for many years. Insulins and ideas have developed enormously since I received a diagnosis. Moreover, if I had to choose between advice from the expert DSN who led the course and the Consultants I've seen over the years I'd seek the Course Leader's advice every time.
It's also great to meet others with time to talk about the issues faced and the solutions found.
My advice is yes, it's a good idea to do the course.

Sibyl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I went on the course this year even though I'd only done the living with diabetes course 2 years ago. It was a good refresher course and was great fun. Good to speak to others with T1 and also that you're doing ok. I heartily recommend it!

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
DAFNE and any other carb counting course can only be good.
Did DAFNE and it was great, like some observations already a lot depends on course presenters. I had one very good and one slightly uncommitted for want of a better term.
Being in a room with 9 fellow T1's was great and we learnt as much from each other as we did from the course.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I actually have the last day of my DAFNE course on Tuesday, although where I am in Scotland it is called DIANE (Diabetes Insulin Adjustment for Normal Eating); don't ask me why the acronym is different though.

The course has been thorough, informal and friendly and those running the course have been of great help.

As @therower has said, one of the best parts is actually meeting other diabetics in person. It's quite a special thing really; as a lot of us T1's can often feel reluctant to speak about our condition.

You'd do well to attend a carbohydrate counting course if you can @wilcl4. And as coincidence has it, a young lady of the course turned up last Tuesday with a brand new 'Diabetic' tattoo:)

Last edited:

wilcl4

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I actually have the last day of my DAFNE course on Tuesday, although where I am in Scotland it is called DIANE (Diabetes Insulin Adjustment for Normal Eating); don't ask me why the acronym is different though.

The course has been thorough, informal and friendly and those running the course have been of great help.

As @therower has said, one of the best parts is actually meeting other diabetics in person. It's quite a special thing really; as a lot of us T1's can often feel reluctant to speak about our condition.

You'd do well to attend a carbohydrate counting course if you can @wilcl4. And as coincidence has it, a young lady of the course turned up last Tuesday with a brand new 'Diabetic' tattoo:)

Thanks. As it I am Scottish lol but moved to England last year for work lol just started carb counting 2 months ago

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
DAFNE and any other carb counting course can only be good.
Did DAFNE and it was great, like some observations already a lot depends on course presenters. I had one very good and one slightly uncommitted for want of a better term.
Being in a room with 9 fellow T1's was great and we learnt as much from each other as we did from the course.
As you say, you learn a great deal from talking to other T1s as I've never actually come across many, even after 52 years. My course was held in Shropshire and called STILE, but just the same as DAFNE.

Reactions: wilcl4 and therower

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My mantra is and has been for many years.

No one understands diabetes like a diabetic.

As essential as the support services are to us, only we as T1 diabetics can fully understand how diabetes affects us. It affects us all in different ways and we all have something that we can give to help each other.
That's why forums are great for us.
@GrantGam and @Dodo have raised a good point. It's a shame we, for whatever reasons, don't have those face to face chats often enough.

wilcl4

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks As you said don't know anybody and not long moves to England so don't know anybody

Reactions: karen8967

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As it I am Scottish lol but moved to England last year for work lol
Life is full of sacrifices unfortunately @wilcl4;)

Only kidding, well kind of - but give it time, you'll soon settle in and make good pals. Bonnie Scotland will always be here!

Reactions: wilcl4

Kazza63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I thought it was a brilliant course. I hadn’t had any advice on carb counting and wasn’t managing my insulin at all well. But the course literally changed my life. You should do it

Reactions: wilcl4

beckysalvage

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I went on a DAFNE course a few years ago and I thought it was brilliant. The staff who led the course were very informed and helped alot, but for me and many others, it was the chance to meet other local diabetics that I found helpful. We still keep in touch and have a christmas meal! I was a student at the time and so got permission to attend from my head of department, but I was told by others on the course that they didnt have to take time off for it as their boss saw it as an educational experience. Anyway, I think it is an excellent idea to go, meet new people and hopefully pick up a few tips along the way!

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
Yes! It's brilliant if you're new to carb counting or just need a refresher.

Don't know if it's something you're interested in or not but you will not be able to have a pump unless you've attended DAFNE or something similar.
I went on it after carb counting for over 10 years to get my pump and I still found it beneficial.
The pump thing is entirely dependent on your local health authority. I'm on a pump, I've never been offered any kind of course. The DAFNE course sounds good, possibly more for the contacts you'll make than the actual information.

Reactions: Sibyl

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The pump thing is entirely dependent on your local health authority. I'm on a pump, I've never been offered any kind of course. The DAFNE course sounds good, possibly more for the contacts you'll make than the actual information.

No, the actual information is very good. As indeed the people you meet are such a support. As a newbie I found it invaluable. There was someone on our course who worked for a German company and she had no trouble getting the time off. Apparently Germany initially devised the programme and over there type 1s have to take the course. No ifs, no buts. I feel all diabetics should go on a course when diagnosed. Though not our fault, we cost the health service a lot of money, and I feel we should do everything we can to enable us to stay as fit as possible.

Reactions: Sibyl