health worries

rosan

Hi everyone

I'm new to the forum. I was diagnosed with type2 diabetes in feb this year. I was prescribed metformin but after about a month i was changed to glimepiride as i was getting side effects such as dizziness, nausea and diarrhea with the metformin. the diarrhea stopped with the glimepiride but the dizziness continues and sometimes the nausea aswell. i've been back to the doctors a few times and they don't know whats causing it. they wanted to blame it on my blood glucose levels but i've been monitoring it and it never goes above 12 or below 5. the last time i went they said it's labyrinthitis, a severe middle ear infection and would clear up in a couple of weeks. it's been nearly 3 months now and i'm still getting spells of dizziness although not as frequent as before but this could be my body adjusting and over riding it rather than getting better. i'm also completely exhausted, very impatient and irritable all the time. i'm having difficulty sleeping properly at night. i toss and turn most nights and usually wake up 2 or 3 times a night. i'm going back to the docs in a couple of weeks but am am losing faith in their ability to get to the bottom of it all. it's getting so bad i've got no energy and am off work sick a lot.

could my medication be causing the problem? has anyone here experienced similar things and what was the outcome? can anyone give me any advice on what to do or what might be causing the problem?

thanks in advance.

rosan

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Rosan and welcome to you.
Dizziness isn't usually associated with metformin. Nausea and diarrhea certainly are, but the effects usually wear off once you become accustomed to the medication. However light-headedness can be a side effect of glimepiride, as is nausea and diarrhea. As you had the dizziness before the glimepiride, I would guess it is not that and it does seem likely that it is something other than your diabetes medication that is causing the problem.

Jacqhar

Hija

Have you had a Thyroid function test - I had problems slepping but always felt tired, contantly felt ill and put on weight (even more weight)

Jacq

AmberAnn

Wow Rosan...you seem to be having it rough...I was diagnosed this May with Type 2...I take no medication apart from a tiny aspirin and apparently so far no other symptoms.. I did experience some dizziness in the begining when I changed my diet..I dropped all sugar items plus fats etc...added more salads and fruit ( already was a good veg eater) and lost about a stone so far ..need to lose 2 more. I see our Diabetic nurse on a regular basis..each visit lasting 30 mins or more..So I am wondering if you may have an addition problem(s)...I suggest you keep going to your doctor until you get a satisfactory answer and treatment.
Also I am 67 and get excellent treatment in my area (Leeds) spite my age and preceived ideas that the elderly get less than satisfactory treatment...
Go back to your doc Rosan and insist on answers...