Accu Chek Aviva

How did you FIRST hear about accu-chek switching from whole blood to blood plasma readings

• This is the first I’ve heard of it

Votes: 15 62.5%
  • My Doctor / nurse told me about it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My pharmacist told me when he dispensed my prescription

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I read about it on a support website

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • I found out about it from the information sheet that comes in the box

Votes: 5 20.8%

• Total voters

CarrieB

I've been wondering why my home test results have been higher than usual, and had been blaming myself. I use an accu-chek aviva monitor, and have done for quite a long time now.

I was wrong, its nothing I've done, its because Accu-chek (in the UK at least) have changed from giving a whole blood result to giving a blood plasma amount, which makes the result around 10% higher.

On close inspection I did find something about it in the information sheet in the box, but I don't read this every time I open a new box. Its left me feeling annoyed, but not sure who I should be annoyed with, or what I should do about it.

I thought I'd find out if I'm the only one who missed this (in which case I will be annoyed with myself) or if its a bigger problem, in which case I will be annoyed with someone else! and will use the results I get here to make a case for better communication.

If you're an accu-chek aviva user please complete the poll above

sorefinger

Dislikes
people who upset me
Have you used the control solution on your meter..i have used both types of strips and seen no difference.the control solution has to be used at least once a month......

Bigglesworth

Its just a matter of getting used to the 'new' numbers.

I use a spreadsheet to monitor my blood glucose, calculate various averages, moving averages, linear trend and to graph results over time. To get a handle on the change I added another page to the spreadsheet and ran small macro to convert from plasma to whole blood.

Simples - and not a lot to get excited about!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Read about it on this forum, but don't think it has been widely publicised and could potentially cause problems, more-so for those using insulin.

Nigel

jopar

Unless I've missed something...

It the guppins in the meter that determines whether readings displayed on the meter is showing readings in whole blood or plasma!!!

The test strip only delivers a eletrical current based on the resistence of the blood sample, the guppins in the meter, this software calculates the resistence into a blood glucose reading, depending what the manufacutures have loaded into the meter will determin whether it's shows a bg based on whole blood or plasma reading..

The latest change to the Accu-check test strips lately, is that they now can handle patients who could have readings effected by medical treatment invovling maltrose!!

These strips are easily indentified, bu the green squared with black strips through it, both on the packaging and the tub itself...

Lemonie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is the monitor I have and am concerned now about my readings. This would make my lower readings of 5.1 actually 4.59? How do I know which reading my monitor is giving?

jopar

check the specs in the manual it will tell you here whether it's giving plasma or whole blood readings

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
read about it on DUK website and wrote about it on my blog on Dec.6th last year. As far as I know all UK monitors (using current strips) now give plasma adjusted readings and have been for the last 9 months. It is not the monitor, it is the strips which have been readjusted.

.http://www.accu-chek.co.uk/gb/news/14april10.html

Bigglesworth

From the website:

"Whether your meter uses a coding chip or test strip drum, the automatic coding feature means that the change is made conveniently though the actual test strip. The meter does not have to be replaced."

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm confused! I've noticed the little green box with stripes and read that it's something to do with Maltose so assumed this had no relevance to us. Does this mean that the readings I'm getting mean something different than they previously did?

Bigglesworth

Readings are, apparently, about 11 percent higher. The web site provides a conversion table. You obviously have to 'think' in the new numbers but converting a series of the data you have for yourself (as I did) makes life a bit easier.

Lemonie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do the NICE guidelines still work on the old system or the new?

Does it need to be: (roughly worked out)

4 - 7 waking and no more than 8.5 2hrs after food
or
4.5 - 7.9 waking and no more than 9.5 2hrs after food

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
The NICE 2010 guideline BG levels are exactly the same - 4-7 fasting and 2 hrs after meals no more than 8.5 mmol/l for a T2 and 9 mmol/l for a T1.

You should check with your HCP to see if your own personal target levels need to be adjusted. Mine haven't as the difference is minimal when you take into account the fact that meters are only accurate to plus or minus 10%. Its an indicator - not 100% accurate.

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So when my daughter has a reading of 3.9 she's actually lower than that? This week she had a 3.2 reading. Should I now be looking at anything under 4.5 as being a hypo as opposed to 4 which we used as the lowest she should go?

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
Accu Chek Aviva POLL

I think this poll is very misleading. The AccuChek meters will still give a within tolerance readout as any adjustment is made by the coding chip that is changed every time a new pot of test strips is opened and used.
If it was anything else Roche would have put out a national press notice and possibly written to all known owners.

CarrieB

I didn't intend the poll to be misleading, I really do believe that there is an issue here.

The Accu-chek website (http://www.accu-chek.co.uk/gb/news/14april10.html) says

Important: There is no change in the measuring process. Capillary whole blood is still applied to the test strip. Since the blood glucose concentration is slightly higher in blood plasma than in whole blood, Accu-Chek blood glucose meter systems with the new plasma-referenced test strips display levels that are about 11% higher than whole blood measurements.

and advises people to 'ask your doctor or nurse how your target values should be adjusted'

To confuse it further initially the new strips were indicated by a yellow circle with a couple of black lines through on the container. Another change introduced is something about Maltose, and the indicator for that is a green square. My understanding it that containers with a green square are also using the plasma readings.

Confused - you bet I am.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
My 2 accuchek, (combo meter) and nano using same strips and same drop of blood give up to 0.6 difference in their readings. My meter reading is alway 0.5-0.6 higher....this is quite significant on levels of 5 and 6. I realise there are tolerances of accuracy with everything, but I now take .6 off my readings prior to driving, so if they say anything under 5.7 I will not drive till they are raised. I just don't see any other way to be sure. I have actually written to accuchek via their website to ask and this was there response....

'For the meter, there can be a variance of 10% between the two meters as they are different devices. Have you got control solution for the meters to check they are working as intended? If not I can send this out for you so please let me know.'

I think 10% difference is a huge amount, and wish I had known this before my driving/hypo incident-as my level showed 5.9 1 hour before-so it may well have been lower????

Petrol pumps at garages have allowances built in, so that when they say they give you 1 litre the tolerance can be higher or lower, and this is always checked regularly for every garage by Trading Standards, and if garages are not within the tolerances they can end up in court. So I know there are differences in every part of day to day life, but some of these differences with machines are quite scary.

jopar

How do you think when managed before meters were available :shock: Try comparing colours on the side of a tube!

A fuss about nothing in the main, the difference isn't really going to make difference to an individuals control..

The only padantic thing I do with meters, is I always use one meter for testing, not swap from one to another, I do keep a spare for back up in case the on in use breaks...

Using different meters is likely to cause disruption in control, rather than if the meter is reading plasma or whole blood..

Reactions: 2 people

BigD

SophiaW said:
I'm confused! I've noticed the little green box with stripes and read that it's something to do with Maltose so assumed this had no relevance to us. Does this mean that the readings I'm getting mean something different than they previously did?

Hi, I'm new to forum and this is my first post :) I too was confused with the green box on my latest batch of test strips and sent off an email to Accu Cceck Customer Service, here is the reply.....

Thank you very much for your email regarding the test strips for the Accu-Chek Aviva.

Please be informed that your Accu-Chek Aviva test strips are plasma calibrated. The green square you mentioned indicates that these are the new maltose-independent chemistry strips that were introduced a little while ago. This means that these test strips can now be used by dialysis patients on parenterally administered therapies containing maltose.

We hope this answers your query. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any further questions.

Kind regards,
Accu-Chek Customer Careline