Type 1 Sugars won't come down?

bexblu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
54e1f63b5f3c989379ba9a16b01165bc.jpg

Hi all,

Today has been a strange day - my sugars refuse to come down - I don't appear to have ketones when I've tested either.
I gave 14 units this morning to bring down (was 21) and for breakfast, hadn't eaten between and it's still high by lunch time, didn't eat anything different and gave yet another 14 units. I'm quite a plain eater and eat similar things everyday. I'm very careful with sites also and rotate regularly. My levemir has been fine every other day. I don't know what to do?? My head is pounding and my chest is tight but other than that I feel fine? I haven't had my flu jab so that's not affecting my levels..
I can't keep giving more and more insulin as I've given so much already, what do I do??

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @bexblu - firstly change your insulin cartridges both your novo and your levemir, sometimes it can be a rogue batch or gone off, but for the sake of getting your levels down it's the easiest thing to check.

Next do you think you could have an infection of any kind, perhaps dental ?

If you rotating your sites then it shouldn't be an issue there.

bexblu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @bexblu - firstly change your insulin cartridges both your novo and your levemir, sometimes it can be a rogue batch or gone off, but for the sake of getting your levels down it's the easiest thing to check.

Next do you think you could have an infection of any kind, perhaps dental ?

If you rotating your sites then it shouldn't be an issue there.

Hi there

Have changed my insulins and opened new boxes.
I'm okay and don't believe I have an infection at the moment. I'm in no pain, just got a really bad headache and chest ache but that's come on from the high sugars. Got no ketones but I'm feeling sick now because they have been rubbish all day. Not sure what to do anymore..

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Noisy dogs and loud music especially low-note drumming
Accepting the above suggestions without question but I would have sought an
independent tester - i.e. my local pharmacy, clinic or hospital - no way would I
have stayed so high without help and advice.