Menstruation (q for the ladies)

sjm1308

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone. Without going into too much detail I have basically been on hrt for 15 years and have not had periods. My consultant is looking at the possibility of ivf for my husband and I (with egg donation) so has changed my hrt to another form which will give me a 'hormonal period'. This is mostly the same only without the eggs. So having never had a period I'm curious as to what way it affects the blood sugar and if you have any tips to manage this. Thanks in advance..

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @sjm1308 - to be honest we are all different and so each of us has a different response to the hormones produced each month, some ladies can sail through it no issues, I personally am more insulin resistant 3-4 days before up until 2-3 days after I start, some months are better than others, the only way you will find out is to chart a diary and see how your glucose levels are affected, good luck with the IVF :)

Reactions: sjm1308

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For some ladies they won't notice any blood sugar impact from hormone changes during their me stuck cycle. For other ladies there will be a significant impact when there are hormone peaks (ie when ovulating, when pre-menstrual and when menstruating).

I don't currently have a particularly regular cycle, but when I did I would know when I was ovulating because I would require more insulin for a few days. I would know when I was pre menstrual because I would require more insulin for 5-7 days. And then I would crash through the floor on the first day of my period because I would have cranked my basal up to deal with pmt hormone and the pmt hormones would disappear. So I medicinally needed chocolate for my period.

But not every month would be like that. Hormones are delicate little darlings and while usually the impact of ovulating and pre menstrual hormones would be to make me more insulin resistant quite how much more varied. And if it varies at different months for one individual, it's going to vary even more between individuals.

My only tip is to test, chart, be flexible and aware of the possible impact that hormones may have.

Reactions: sjm1308 and lou258

sjm1308

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks @Juicyj and @catapillar I've definitely noticed I've been more insulin resistant these past couple days. Will make a big effort to record properly and hopefully I can notice my patters

Reactions: Juicyj
M

Member34835

Good luck with Ivf. I have a pmt basal rate which is 25% plus of normal. As has been said you will have an individual response to hormomes. It will be good practice for pregnancy!

Reactions: sjm1308